Insects: The good, The Bad, and the Bugly

>> Capt'n- I can't see well what you've got there,.. is it a leaf roller caterpillar? ... I've found a peculiar spider that does a partial roll, and weaves a dense canopy cover for a top,...

>> Tin'-- just to clarify, you use predatory nematodes? Or dunks? Dunks are a Bacillus thurigiensis (israelensis strain) product,... the caterpillar Bt is kurstaki strain,... I've wondered if they are cross effective with each other? I'm thinking not, the specific strain is effective to specific host families,... 'squito's and gnats are related,.. moth/butterflies, are not of course!

>> :pass: Hec' mate! I figure you have some fierce bugs down your way,... You don't have to contend with bulldog ants, do you, or jack jumpers? How about jumping spiders? I LOVE these guys, my fav' spider family for sure! I found this beaut' last year,...View attachment 788897
View attachment 788895 View attachment 788896

Waira, you are correct...sorry for the brain fart, the dunks are Bacillus thurigiensis, soil dwelling bacteria used as a biological pesticide, I've used them for fungus gnat control via killing the larvae in the soil....Nematodes have different uses. You definitely sound like you know your stuff Waira, it's amazing to me just to read about all of the parasites, bacteria, and crazy organisms fighting for life under the soil and around us every day....definitely stoner stuff :smoking:

Hey neat thread! I found this one today, @1 1/2" long. Didn't see any damage...he was lethargic (from the heat?) believe it or not it's 85°f here today lol kind of late for my crop but i still have a couple plants that might benefit from some sun.
DSCN3660.JPG

Built kind of like an inchworm but it's bigger than what I usually see
DSCN3664.JPG

:vibe: :d5: :vibe: GS my bruddahhh! :pighug: Thank you for starting this thread, beating me to the punch- :baked: :haha: ... I foresee a very fun, fascinating and helpful thread here!
I already have a good stash from past "visitors", and we outdoor growers will share many of the same or similar type vermins and friends,... We should be sure to include what garden-safe pesticides and dirty tricks we have employed to put the smack-down on them! :pimphand: :pimp: ...let's brainstorm about where to put the pesti' list in here, maybe even in the first post? --it can be expanded easily, and likely, start another someplace else as a stand-alone list,... but let's have this gel out some before we go there!

>>> :cuss:F'ing caterpillars! I get a similar small skinny type, which seem to make holes in leaves more than edge chewing,.. these types have a defensive cammo' posture where they "stand" stiffly at an angle on the back pairs of legs mimicking a stem ( so called "inch worm" type, legs in from and back, none in between),... none so far this year, and the SNS209 seems to repel them well,... I'll get pics if and when they show! I also get the dreaded bud-worms- :finger::finger::finger:, a much more insidious vermin; difficult to treat once they burrow in, contact pesti's won't reach them,... worse, right when they hit most is when I have to stop adding the SNS209, a few weeks before harvest! :doh: - (GS, as we talked about mold, I also thought about proactive Bt spraying as well) :amazon:
.... Aphids! :cuss: these are my primary constant nemesis, small black flying types that land and immediately start crapping out minute larvae; this is the worst year ever for them for me, I'm killing over 20 fuckers every day,... no stopping them, the plant color attracts them like magnets! They die easy enough , but the SNS won't repel them it seems, even if they don't seem to feed well? ..larvae still seem to feed,...:doh: - I see larger ones, which means they are feeding,.. Removal by spraying locally with a spinosad product + wetting agent (a critical additive IMO), and using a very fine tip paint brush,...

:smoking: OK, we've seen some Bads, how about some goods? Here's a classic friend we all know, and always a beauty,....

View attachment 788841

>>> unknown wasp species, likely the type that injects an egg into the target prey and lets the larvae eat it alive- :muahaha:
View attachment 788842

Damn do i want some of those wasps!! Just a small bit of satisfaction knowing the harmful bugs are going to get impregnated by a predatory wasp via Aliens style impregnation!! :D
So as for predatory solution or garden friendly pesticides i am going to leave that to you and other eradication experts. Though i deal with some bothersome bugs, i think my constant high wind location keeps populations to a minimum.

Do you guys find that often some strains are far worse with bugs than others?
Bloody Skunk this season had quite a share of aphids, but yet i did spot a single aphid on the cream mandarin which was directly beside the Bloody Skunk.

Thanks for the pics waira!! And everyone else of course!! I can see an amazing guide in the works for the future!! Okay so north american guide seems well on its way....how about some european examples? @Bud Wiser UK , @Vlad The Inhaler , @nudger361976 , @epenguin , @Anglo Automatics , @SpliffScot

I have been seeing an awful lot of birdshit on the inner canopies of the think fast and fruity chronic juice...might be able to get a shot of an unexpected bug predator if i get lucky!! I love promoting bids and tree frogs to my plants..."come in fellas, these trees make a wonderful home until october!!!!" A few years back i had a sparrow make a nest in a G-13

Hey neat thread! I found this one today, @1 1/2" long. Didn't see any damage...he was lethargic (from the heat?) believe it or not it's 85°f here today lol kind of late for my crop but i still have a couple plants that might benefit from some sun.
View attachment 788946
View attachment 788947

85 nice!! Was a cold blast here today(high of 18C/65F with some insane rain and ultra high winds(90kph gusts)...had one secondary branch split on the fruity chronic juice(fixed no problem). Got chilly last night down to 10C/50F

View attachment 788946
View attachment 788947

I think thats an inchworm!
inchworm_sharon.jpg

85 nice!! Was a cold blast here today(high of 18C/65F with some insane rain and ultra high winds(90kph gusts)...had one secondary branch split on the fruity chronic juice(fixed no problem). Got chilly last night down to 10C/50F

I think thats an inchworm!
View attachment 788953
It looks like we are on the edge of the heat wave that's sitting on the Pacific Northwest area. Up till now temps have ranged in the 50-60° F with constant clouds, not really alot of rain. This is day 3 of the heat.

Haha yea looks like inchy alright he was a hefty specimen

man, what a year you're having for weather!

Thats is one camoed up inchworm indeed! nature is ace :smoking::smoking:I find lots of garden spiders on mine, they munch all the fungus gnats.

Will get some pics up. I think your right mate @912GreenSkell some strains are just magnets

How big can a Mantis get? funky looking dudes :vibe:

Last edited:
Back