Insects: The good, The Bad, and the Bugly

I checked images for the following, but i dont see any that look like a winner!! I thought it was an immature cut worm, but now after more research i find myself second guessing!!

vcwchart.jpg

Last edited:
I would agree that any plant including Canna would be a victim of Japanese Beetles...I think in my case for sure, the vines and other plants we are surrounded by due to my wife's gardens, kept my Canna from being their choice of dinner and mating pad...:pass:

Yeah exactly tin. I bet if there was less favourable plants around they would decimate canna. For me it seems very few varieties of canna are a draw for the Japanese beetles. Last year i had minimal damage from them on my frisian duck, but no damage on the other 3 photo plants.

That Cutworm my friend, is what came ripping out of the soil near my stalk after I watered with a dose of 3ml H2O2 (29%) per gallon. When I brought in my Kannabia Baby Boom CBD Auto in from outside....my wife called it an Army Worm, same size but they have more distinct stripes. I had 4 of them emerge from my 3 Smart Pots, including other misc. smaller worms I did not identify or keep.

Attached Files:

:vibe: :d5: :vibe: GS my bruddahhh! :pighug: Thank you for starting this thread, beating me to the punch- :baked: :haha: ... I foresee a very fun, fascinating and helpful thread here!
I already have a good stash from past "visitors", and we outdoor growers will share many of the same or similar type vermins and friends,... We should be sure to include what garden-safe pesticides and dirty tricks we have employed to put the smack-down on them! :pimphand: :pimp: ...let's brainstorm about where to put the pesti' list in here, maybe even in the first post? --it can be expanded easily, and likely, start another someplace else as a stand-alone list,... but let's have this gel out some before we go there!

>>> :cuss:F'ing caterpillars! I get a similar small skinny type, which seem to make holes in leaves more than edge chewing,.. these types have a defensive cammo' posture where they "stand" stiffly at an angle on the back pairs of legs mimicking a stem ( so called "inch worm" type, legs in from and back, none in between),... none so far this year, and the SNS209 seems to repel them well,... I'll get pics if and when they show! I also get the dreaded bud-worms- :finger::finger::finger:, a much more insidious vermin; difficult to treat once they burrow in, contact pesti's won't reach them,... worse, right when they hit most is when I have to stop adding the SNS209, a few weeks before harvest! :doh: - (GS, as we talked about mold, I also thought about proactive Bt spraying as well) :amazon:
.... Aphids! :cuss: these are my primary constant nemesis, small black flying types that land and immediately start crapping out minute larvae; this is the worst year ever for them for me, I'm killing over 20 fuckers every day,... no stopping them, the plant color attracts them like magnets! They die easy enough , but the SNS won't repel them it seems, even if they don't seem to feed well? ..larvae still seem to feed,...:doh: - I see larger ones, which means they are feeding,.. Removal by spraying locally with a spinosad product + wetting agent (a critical additive IMO), and using a very fine tip paint brush,...

:smoking: OK, we've seen some Bads, how about some goods? Here's a classic friend we all know, and always a beauty,....

ladybug1.jpg

>>> unknown wasp species, likely the type that injects an egg into the target prey and lets the larvae eat it alive- :muahaha:
wasp.jpg

After going down a rabbit hole of the internet looking at bugs, I found this really moving video on cicadas:

I am way to high for this:yeahthat: it seems like a metaphor for life :pass:

Outside I have definitely seen my share of insects growing up in the rural pacific northwest ,I would have to say the majority of all insects won't hurt your plants but the few that do never leave your memory,Using other insects to take out the bad mofos is definitely something that's fun for me ,I have gathered ladybugs an kept a garden spider in the winter that got anything near my plants some of the garden stores sell praying mantis cocoons and I have thought about some of those ,I bet a praying mantis would go crazy on anything near the plants.

Outside I have definitely seen my share of insects growing up in the rural pacific northwest ,I would have to say the majority of all insects won't hurt your plants but the few that do never leave your memory,Using other insects to take out the bad mofos is definitely something that's fun for me ,I have gathered ladybugs an kept a garden spider in the winter that got anything near my plants some of the garden stores sell praying mantis cocoons and I have thought about some of those ,I bet a praying mantis would go crazy on anything near the plants.

I love the idea of the Lady Bug or Mantis in my grow tent! :peace:

:smoking: Dank' buddy, the mantis family is one of my fav's of all insects! Some are native to CA, but not near the coast,.. or used to be! Last few years, they started showing up,.. I think these are natives that have been cultured to sell locally, and now they have become "naturalized" to the area,... they certainly will take out anything large-ish, but as juvies and adults, they're no help for smaller vermins,... babies can, but most die fast from starvation,... and the sheer speed of reproduction on vermin like aphids, thrips, mites exceeds what impact they have,.. predatory insects are more about prevention, not curative,... :headbang:- here's a killer on the loose in my Green Poison F1FV a couple years back,....
Mantis1.jpg

mantis2.jpg

Back