New Grower IN AT THE DEEP END !! - DWC/LED/Remo Nutrients: Fruit Punch Auto/Cheese Auto

Boradan

We don't need no stinking Badges!
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dinafem Critical+ 2.0, Seedstockers BCN Critical XXL
Hi all.
I figured it was time for me to try my first grow after assisting a friend in his grow.
Despite the fact that I am totally new to this game, I decided to run with a full DWC system under LEDs.
Although DWC can be difficult, it does give impressive results when done correctly, so I figured it was the best way to start since I do not have any 'bad habits (as far as DWC goes)' to unlearn from doing other types of growth.

The setup is as follows:
Mars 1.2m x 1.2m x 2m Tent
4" extractor fan and carbon filter
2 x Viparspectra 600w LEDs (276w from the wall each giving a total of 552 Watts) - slightly under the 600w HPS that I was initially planning to use.
Plant!t Aeros IV Master DWC System
Full set of Remo Nutrients @RemoNutrients
Great White
Silica Booster
PH UP
PH DOWN
PH Meter
PPM Meter
Calibration solutions (PH7 and PH4) for the PH Meter
2 x 50 litre containers for water for dechlorination and Nute setup prior to putting in the reservoir.
1 small aquarium pump to fill/empty these containers.
1 dual output air pump with stones to aerate the water prior to transfer to the reservoir - hopefully this will remove some of the PH fluctuations that Aerated DWC water is prone to if I aerate the water well before transferring to the reservoir.
1 temp/humidity meter
1 temp meter with attached probe to take temperatures of the reservoir
1 humidifier (if needed)
1 dehumidifier (if needed)

SEEDS:
1 x Original Seeds Cheese Auto
3 x Heavyweight Seeds Fruit Punch Auto

For the Remo Nutes I will be using, as a guide, the spreadsheet linked by @MedGrower in his grow thread regarding Remo and DWC - I will adapt his amounts as needed for this grow, and will only be using his amounts as a baseline guide.

I will be using tapwater for this grow:
PH: 7.3
PPM: 190
The water will be in containers for at least 2 days before use to let the chlorine dissapate.
I will be running an air pump with 2 airstones to do the aeration before adding nutrients

SETUP:::

05989e3b683a11c144edbc7a8de08081.jpg

More pics to follow
@sanguine

Last edited:
LED Hanging modification:
I have modified the hanging of the 2 Viparspectra 600w LEDs.
I was not impressed with the holders included with the LEDs - 4 x 14 1/2" cables, plus a 2" hook attached to each corner.
These meant that the led was sitting about 14" below the ratchet hanger - thats 14" of height I could not use if the plants get tall.
To rectify this I simply swapped the cables (which cannot have the length modified) for some Hanging chain.
I also swapped out the ratchets for some better ones as the originals had only a 5kg max weight and the lights come in at just over that ;(

After modification:
da1b285841c877555e0eab106efb94ac.jpg

With this change, I have managed to give myself approximately 10" extra height to play with

Last edited:
Seems like you have done your homework bro. Good luck! 4 plants are going to fill that tent up so I think you're going to get quite a jungle there.

Yeah, I have read up as much as I can (and still reading).
I am HOPING for a Jungle - the plants will be topped and scrogged to try and keep them manageable :thumbsup:

One seed (Fruit Punch Auto) seems to be giving me some trouble - it may or may not have failed to germinate fully/died:

0622ffedf7009504c1cf5ebe0a97a9ba.jpg

It got the start of its root, but then stopped and has been like that for 72 hours now.
The other 3 seeds germinated fully and have now been transferred into the DWC system under plastic bottles to keep the humidity up:

DAY 1

b0110803dd0b0720eb54eff911623475.jpg

b37d38cdad735fd836e2a9d0a2aad852.jpg

Once the stems have matured a bit, I will add more clay pebbles to cover the rockwool to avoid any algae growth on them.

Currently, the lights are sitting at 30" from the plants on Veg only.
I will gradually lower them as the plants get stronger and turn on the bloom function at about a week old.

1ml per litre Velokelp
PH: 5.9
PPM: 220
RH: 52% (no idea about under the plastic bottles)
Temp: 26C
Water Temp 19C

Last edited:
Congratulations on starting your first to grow, I think you're going to like those Remo nutrients. I have about the same starting pH in my background water and I never even have to use PH down with my Remo nutrients. Once I mix them up I end up around pH 6.2 and that is good enough for me.

You may end up needing a larger extraction fan, in fact you might end up using that four inch fan as an intake fan some someday. It really depends upon how cool your intake air source is and whether you're pumping your out take air out of your building.

Where I'm currently growing
Where I'll be Nov 1st

Good point @jingo it really depends on how much air the fan manages to move. Yeah I will be hanging along here and feel free to tag me anytime if you have trouble or just wondering about something. I've been starting my grows these days also with just VeloKelp. This time around I went for 2,5ml per litre but I think it was a good move from you to stay at 1ml per litre because of the tap water PPM's.

All the best!

Currently, the exhaust is venting back into the room the air is being extracted from. I can switch it to an external vent if needs be.
The fan is running on low speed at the minute too.

Back