Indoor Iconoclastic plastic fantastic perpetual Shallow Water Culture

All four together for future reference.

4 - 1.jpeg

Lots of defoliating on Brooklyn Sunrise i mean really a lot, completely stripped back, and also some pruning as I really don't want to deal with a bush.

The new Eazy Pyramids are all behaving normally so far. Amnesia Auto is growing as fast as in hydro and taking on the same slender form, Gorilla Cookies looks a bit small but with rounded chunky leaves which are a bit interesting, and Jack 47 which is looking very feeble, but at 9 days I'm expecting her to begin to toughen up. Only water for all of them, and some light veg nutes plus water for Amnesia.

The Lemon Pie Pyramid 3 weeks, is coming along in it's own inimitable chunkiness the leaves are thick and green and I'm doing my best to bring all the shoots out into the open.

lp3w - 1.jpeg

Brooklyn - 2.jpeg

Attachments

• Brooklyn - 1.jpeg
    Brooklyn - 1.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 14
  • gorillacookies11d - 2.jpeg
    gorillacookies11d - 2.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Jack9d - 4.jpeg
    Jack9d - 4.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 10
  • amnesia 2w - 1.jpeg
    amnesia 2w - 1.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 13
  • amnesia 2w - 2.jpeg
    amnesia 2w - 2.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 11
  • amnesia 2w - 3.jpeg
    amnesia 2w - 3.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 11
  • amnesia 2w - 4.jpeg
    amnesia 2w - 4.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 15
  • amnesia 2w - 5.jpeg
    amnesia 2w - 5.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 10
  • lp3w - 1.jpeg
    lp3w - 1.jpeg
    368.2 KB · Views: 14
  • gorillacookies11d - 2.jpeg
    gorillacookies11d - 2.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 12
  • amnesia 2w - 5.jpeg
    amnesia 2w - 5.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Jack9d - 4.jpeg
    Jack9d - 4.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 13
Four Mini Pyramids Update.
@Qbgrower @hope2grow Ok here's the next batch they are auditioning to see which bean is going to get the big pyramid I have waiting, they are doing so well in these tiny 4.5 inch pots, I'm sure all these girls would enjoy ten inches of hard substrate to spread out into.groupshot - 1 (1).jpeg

The four pyramids are coming along perfectly, they all grow differently and true to type with no differences caused by uneven root development. Using the recent Purple Haze Pyramid as a standard the new Lemon Pie is 4 weeks old tomorrow and bushier plus she has only just began to slowly stretch, nevertheless everything looking very vigorous and green. I took the two lower branches off ages ago and I'll just play it by ear fir the moment. Later on I will side by side of the same plants with different treatments but for the moment I'm just watching how everything reacts with minimal intervention. They really make it so easy, I can't believe these are almost unknown, the Lemon Pie looks good for a comparison in the big Pyramid, but that was my last one. These pyramids pretty well turn these autos into a legitimate hobby like having a bunch of exotic orchids, but with benefits

I am pretty excited to see how they all grow out.

Lemon Pie lemonpie - 1.jpeglemonpie - 2.jpeg

Amnesia a week behind Amnesia - 2.jpegAmnesia - 4.jpeg much more open growing tru to type more papery leaves less bushy but equally healthy.

Gorilla Cookies is a bit of a surprise, not sure if this is an unusual phenotype or if it's normal but whatever this is very short and stocky, curly leaves dark green with iridescent highlights very exotic looking, but small. At this rate she is a candidate for not topping, 17 days old...
Gorillacookies - 1.jpegGorillacookies - 2.jpeg

Jack47 XL is another I've not grown, at this stage looking a little bit similar to amnesia with that open structure also with lighter green and more papery leaves. Jack47 - 1.jpegJack47 - 2.jpeg

This is a great way to get to see how a bean likes to grow before committing to a large grow. I have a larger pyramid but I'll want to see a few different small ones finish first so I can gauge the difference.

It is interesting that no matter how the plant likes to grow above ground the root structure on all the different plants will be identical because they are all eventually forced to evenly fill out every part of the exact same volume and do it by using fine roots, so it should give a very good baseline for doing comparison tests. I'm basically looking for which bean is going to make the most use of the larger pyramid with 4 times the volume that in theory should produce a normal size plant that you'd expect in a 4 gallon pot.

groupshot - 1.jpeg

Last edited:
10 inches of hard substrate :crying: :crying: :bravo: I'm loving this experiment bro.. so whichever strain makes best use of the little pyramid gets a shot at the big one yea??

@H2G, yeah that's pretty much it, later I plan on doing definitive defoliation vs no defoliation tests and normal fertiliser vs high PK during flowering tests, I think the evenness of root development and compact size will give more reliable answers than we have seen from other bigger side by side grows because there's less variables. I am a convert but I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. If I can get a decent yield from a big pyramid then I may not bother with the full hydro thing at all, and just do one big one and a bunch of small ones. They are really fun to work with because they are so easy to pick up and have a close look at without spilling stuff or disturbing the roots. It was the two+ zips result on the first pyramid that has really sold me on this. I'm just using a small nine litre bucket of mixed nute for these four at the moment, just hold them in my hand now and pour it over then tilt it tilll the runoff stops. I'm not bothering with the pH it's probably about 6.5 or maybe 6.7 as I'm using fairly week nutes and they are still growing as fast as any hydro I've seen, at least while they are young.

My favourite bean to grow has always been the Jedi Kush Auto because it does not suffer from bud rot problems due to it not having a lot of leaves and being an open structure, plus it's buds are small and super dense with the most resin production by far of any other bean. It's only the variety I grow for. Just got a batch of Jedi Kush so that will be my next SWC grow and that's all I'll be doing now because I'll get my variety from the mini pyramids so it's pretty well good bye to SWC hello to mini pyramids.

Therefore I'm going to make a new thread just for the eazy pyramids because that's where the all the hot action will be occurring. I have big plans for this new Eazy thread.

Meanwhile here's an update on the Brooklyn Sunrise, nothing really exciting, I have stripped as much thin stuff off as I can to keep some good air circulation. The type of problem that Jedi Kush will eliminate for me.

Brooklyn - 1.jpeg

Brooklyn Sunrise, 9 weeks. Because I knew that the Brooklyn Sunrise will be my last hydro for a while if the big pyramid is successful, so I thought I'd do a bit of a defoliation experiment on her, I wanted to see the effect of a completely unnecessary over removal. So I not only did my usual defoliation to let in some light but I also completely removed all the huge healthy fan leaves that were healthy and didn't need to come off as they were not blocking anything. So off they all came. Then for the next week as the new leaves grew back I kept taking them off. I have to admit that I did think I'd ruined her at one point. I also went in ruthlessly eviscerated all the undergrowth and lightened the general load on the plant.
Brooklyn 9 wks - 1.jpeg

Three weeks ago it looked a bit pathetic. Here is a shot from 20 days ago and today she is very heavily resinated. She has produced exactly the same as I would have expected had I been more judicious. I'd like to let this ripen for a long time but bud rot is always a consideration so that was my thinking behind clearing all the crowding from the plant.

Brooklyn 9 wks - 4.jpeg

Attachments

• Brooklyn 9 wks - 2.jpeg
    Brooklyn 9 wks - 2.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 13
  • Brooklyn 9 wks - 3.jpeg
    Brooklyn 9 wks - 3.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Brooklyn 9 wks - 1 (1).jpeg
    Brooklyn 9 wks - 1 (1).jpeg
    565.6 KB · Views: 10
Turns out my Shallow Water Culture was not as perpetual as I though!

The transformation to tabletop is almost complete. Brooklyn has been situated onto the tabletop with the reservoir underneath which is probably not a bad idea, the res could be put on wheels and kept under the pot out of the way, you can also clearly see that the lower part of the pot is just a stand but it appears to be a deep water culture.

Having a closer look at the trichomes, I'll have to wait till it's finished and dry but this appears to be the heaviest trichome production I have seen so far which I will say has surprised me.

brooklyn - 2.jpeg

Attachments

• brooklyn - 1 (1).jpeg
    brooklyn - 1 (1).jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 10
  • brooklyn - 2 (1).jpeg
    brooklyn - 2 (1).jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 12
  • brooklyn - 3 (1).jpeg
    brooklyn - 3 (1).jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 13
  • brooklyn - 1.jpeg
    brooklyn - 1.jpeg
    581.7 KB · Views: 13
Brooklyn Sunrise 11 Weeks
Nearly done now my experiment of removing all leaves and regrowth including all fan leaves even though it wasn't necessary as this was to see what would happen, and also removed large quantities of smaller branches, I left her pretty bare and continued to defoliate massively every few days. I'd like to trim off some of these leaves but I'm afraid of introducing some fungus or something. I really want this final one to go another week. It's cooler now and the air is pretty dry so fingers crossed there's no bud rot. Underneath the dried crispy leaves are a lot of healthy green leaves, but crucially they are dark green and not lime green which is nice to see. I need to do a side by side defoliation now. Maybe on the next mini pyramid.

brooklyn11wk - 1.jpeg

brooklyn11wk - 8.jpeg
brooklyn11wk - 6.jpeg

brooklyn11wk - 5.jpeg

brooklyn11wk - 2.jpeg

Attachments

• brooklyn11wk - 4.jpeg
    brooklyn11wk - 4.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 12
  • brooklyn11wk - 3.jpeg
    brooklyn11wk - 3.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 11
  • brooklyn11wk - 7.jpeg
    brooklyn11wk - 7.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Nice growing going on!
Very interesting Pyramids - not seen them before and they look like they are doing well, on the scout for the other thread now :cheers:

Back