Grow Room Hydrofarm Fan Will No Longer Go to Slowest Setting

Zootown68

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mango Smile
Hi, all. I have a Hydrofarm 6" inline fan with a speed controller. I've been using it in tandem with "The Speedster" brand speed controller, which is the typical type with a "VAR, OFF, FULL" type rocker switch as well as a round knob to change speed from Low to High based on where it is set when in "VAR" mode. When I got up this morning the fan was completely off (set to detent position). I turned it back on to "VAR" setting and turned it all the way down but it's running significantly faster than it was yesterday - even at lowest setting. For kicks I flipped it out the controller with a new Vivosun unit that I had lying around. Same deal... won't go to slower setting anymore.

Any ideas why this might be? There is still tons of airflow coming out of my stack, but could it be that the filter is getting gunked up w/ something? I've been running the humidifier in the tent like a madman, but I've been using RO water. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :bow:

Is the vivosun unit a fan or a controller? If you swapped fans and the speed wont run on low then you know its the controller. If the fan won't run on low speed with either controller then the things I can think of:

1) The motor is sticking. You could try lubricating the bearings around the prop shaft. It may just be sticking and the low current isn't enough to get it going.

2) On some variable speed electric motors there are several (3-4) wires that have resistors for speed control and one of them may be broken or burned out. You could try to open it and inspect but I dont know that the cost and trouble of figuring it out is worth it compared to a new fan.

Either way you would have to open up the fan to inspect and service it. You could also try turning it on low and using a stick to push the blades and see if it will spin up. If so then you know it's just sticky and needs a clean/lube service.

Thanks, @DCLXVI . The Vivosun is a controller. Two different flavor controllers were tried on the one Hydrofarm Fan.

Can I just use WD 40 on bearings or do I need to get something else?

"You could also try turning it on low and using a stick to push the blades and see if it will spin up." When it's set to Low and off, when I flip it to "VAR" it turns on fine, it just doesn't run at the usual LOW setting, it's running at a speed/sound that I recognize as MED setting. Weirdness. Thanks for the suggestions!

WD40 is a good cleaner but it won't lubricate. You'll need some sort of light oil after. WD is a good place to start to see if it helps just cleaning up the possible gunk without taking everything apart.

Interesting about the settings. I would guess a resistor on one of the speed control wires has given up the ghost. But again, I am not 100% certain thats how that particular fan is wired up.

Thanks, @DCLXVI . I'll look for a wiring schematic and go from there. I appreciate the help!

Back