Harvest & Curing How Grove Bags Work

Sorry to ask if it’s already been covered but I’m strapped for time w/ my harvest and wanna know from the source…..am I correct that you chop, hang dry (or any alternative), then place in the grove bag ? No further burping required ?
If I dry to the point of snappy stems and grove bag after, how long before they are typically cured? I guess I would open regularly and see?
What if it’s put into the bags too wet? How would I know….use a hygrometer?
Sorry for all the questions but I just learned my local shop has some in stock and I’m trying to plan this out.

Sorry to ask if it’s already been covered but I’m strapped for time w/ my harvest and wanna know from the source…..am I correct that you chop, hang dry (or any alternative), then place in the grove bag ? No further burping required ?
If I dry to the point of snappy stems and grove bag after, how long before they are typically cured? I guess I would open regularly and see?
What if it’s put into the bags too wet? How would I know….use a hygrometer?
Sorry for all the questions but I just learned my local shop has some in stock and I’m trying to plan this out.
Hi - I am in no way an expert on these things. This is what I found:
Put the dried buds in the grove bag with a hygrometer. I bought a four pack of cheap tiny ones for around $7. If over 64 percent or so, you will have to burp the bag / air it out until it gets down to about that level. If its LESS than 58 pct, you will have to find a way to moisten it - the bags cant ADD moisture.
Once it is at the right moisture level (58-62 pct), you no longer have to do anything. As fare as how long to cure, I would say thats a personal preference. At least a month?

No way an expert but agree with @MonteVerde with a couple points to add based on my research when I purchased.

If the RH is much higher than the bag’s range (58-62% bags range) most will burp a day or two and then seal. Or before going into Grove Bags you could give them a few days in paper bags. If the RH is just a little high the bags are designed to release the excess moisture when sealed (diffuses across the membrane).

If the RH is significantly lower than the range, then you likely over dried and yeah need to add moisture. If it’s only slightly under keep in mind that even buds that feel crisp dry on the outside usually contain moisture inside that “sweats” out during curing (hence the need to burp jars)…in this case I personally would heat seal right away and any moisture released will equilibrate within the bag’s working range, if during cure the buds release excess moisture over 62% it would diffuse out as said before.

One thing I learned from this thread, don’t push the air out when you bag/seal!

Curing is a preference but again agree with MonteV at least a month. I def noticed a difference between 1 mo and 3 mo cure from the same harvest in smoothness, flavor and quality of high.

:cheers:

@Grove Bags do I need to heat seal these bags, I see there is a zipper? Just a little confused, are these designed to be reused? Can I just seal with zipper, or is it not really sealed then? Thanks stay lifted.
You can use the zipper, but for long term storage we recommend you heat seal above the zipper.

You can use the zipper, but for long term storage we recommend you heat seal above the zipper.
Awesome thanks, I got another 1 for ya. If I have some bud that's real dry, would putting a 2way humidity pack be the proper way to hydrate and store? Is there any chance of harm to my bud, or bag if I put them in? I always seem to over dry no matter what I do lol. Thanks again and stay lifted.

:baked:

My problem is finding a small hygrometer that I can rely on. I’ve bought a bunch of the really small rectangular ones and they all read something different. And the range between them is huge…one might read 52% and another 40%…..
I’ve tried to do the salt test and figure out which ones are low/high and by how much. Then I place a little piece of tape with the number to add or subtract. Then I place them in the jar with some buds and the readings don’t jive. The ones that are supposedly reading high (per the salt test) are reading lower than the ones who read lower before.
I have a couple more expensive ($40-50) ones coming but this is frustrating as hell.

My problem is finding a small hygrometer that I can rely on. I’ve bought a bunch of the really small rectangular ones and they all read something different. And the range between them is huge…one might read 52% and another 40%…..
I’ve tried to do the salt test and figure out which ones are low/high and by how much. Then I place a little piece of tape with the number to add or subtract. Then I place them in the jar with some buds and the readings don’t jive. The ones that are supposedly reading high (per the salt test) are reading lower than the ones who read lower before.
I have a couple more expensive ($40-50) ones coming but this is frustrating as hell.
And sorry I didn’t mean to underline everything….woops

Awesome thanks, I got another 1 for ya. If I have some bud that's real dry, would putting a 2way humidity pack be the proper way to hydrate and store? Is there any chance of harm to my bud, or bag if I put them in? I always seem to over dry no matter what I do lol. Thanks again and stay lifted.

:baked:
I would invest in a Moisture meter and dry the product down to about 11% moisture content. make sure you are measuring through the bud and into the stem, this will help prevent you from over drying in the first place.

I have customers using all sorts of methods of rehydrating the plants a lot are using undried sugar or fan leaves from the same plants to help juice the plant and not affect the terpene profile.

Back