Bud Explosion

if you want to pre charge coco then you should be growing in soil. I can see no benefit to pre charging coco, all it has the potential of doing is burning your seedling.

Not totally true but understand your thinking
In soil one does not have total control over what the plant is fed.
Coco is inert and has nothing for a plant to feed on so the plant gets what is put in.
Coco does not have calcium caption (sp?) so it will uptake the calcium from the nutrients given till it is basically " full" of calcium before it starts to release it for the plant.
So if one puts a plant into unprecharged coco the plant will not get any calcium until the coco is full of calcium and starts releasing it to the plant.
So do plants need calcium???
After you answer that question then you answer why to precharge.
You don't NEED to precharge but it may push your plants development back by a week or more if the coco needs to be pre charged , and it hasn't been.
Soil is great, but coco gives you what you put into it..
Prechargeing coco is no harder than adding worm castings to soil
Pax

Last edited:
I think I used nutes+calmag before. Might buy+use Greenleaf Megacrop for the run, so this will be included as one.

You go til it wastes in any size pot you're starting in right?

Then leave it for 24 hrs before you plant the seeds for germ?

How long must you wait to feed them again when the seed is already planted? Going to be growing autos this time.
Hi bomb! I found that when I pre charged and planted the next day I ended up soaking and hurting my babies (slow or no growth, etc). Now I mix nutes and calcium and water till just a bit of runoff, then wait 2 days or even a little more before planting. I just found my babies grow much better that way. xoxo mom

If you don't want to pre-charge, consider starting comparable low-dose feeding after a few days or a week of seedling growth.

I think it prudent to 'pre-charge' coco, even if you add no base nutes. [I often add 1 g/gallon MegaCrop]. Rapid Start or any comparable seedling root growth supplement can be used instead or added. If nothing else, it is still good to pre-charge the coco with beneficial microbe products and low-dose cal-mag supplement. I am not the best role model -- I also often add some enzyme, humic/fulvic acid and kelp supplements.

And I always add a Bt toxin product to every watering. If I could only 'pre-charge' with 1 thing, this is probably no. 1.

Back