Hecno's on going organics

In truth, bacillus subtilis is just one that is easy to propagate in the lab. it's relatively large and easy to identify.

I was talking about this last week with my old bio prof. There are many millions of microlife not categorized. I forget the actual estimate for a gram of soil, but it's close to 10 to 9th power microbes per gram. The way they we culture them is mostly on Agar plates, and they estimate about 1-5% can grow in the environment we give them. That leaves 10 to the 9th minus a few thousand left unknown.

They can however do DNA and RNA sequencing on what they find. This is how they get the big number for species richness. But without the ability to culture them independently in the lab, they ignore most of them untill it's easy. And till it fits within the 3 year grant cycles so the studies can be paid for.

I was turned down for several studies already because most of mine would take 5 to 10 years and require expensive DNA testing. There's also the problem of big Ag dictating school resources. There are many many good studies (like mine) that are all about saving the world, that never get traction due to politics and lobbying.

I started two raised bed hugelkulters a couple years ago hoping to get some grant for a microlife richness and diversity study using the hugelkulter technique. But it just costs so much to do the testing I gave up and am just going to have to be happy with my gardens without the study.

Last edited:
only real issue is most cant afford DNA sequencing. STUPID expensive last I heard.This is very true. what Kind(s) of studies you got going on? they do a Perma Culture Class and certifications right up the road from me and they were talking about these things the other day. plus there areant too many places that DO DNA sequencing. as of a few years ago there was only like two. probably more now I would imagine..?

@calliandra Thank you , you have just added to my understanding . Much Respect . :thumbsup:View attachment 865473. now look at this , I was trying to tell my daughters boy friend how to deal with snakes , and bugger me as I went to grab it he pulled it by the tail . end result . View attachment 865472
Cheers, tis my pleasure and helps remind me not to drink the koolaid too! :D
Very ouchy looking, that! I know nothing of snakes despite growing up in Brasil (and EVERYone had encounters except me? lol), hoping its a harmless one!!

well indeed if you have seen a depletion of P,and that explanation almost explains itself. not sure about where your at on Aussie Island. but here in the states from big agriculture,they ripped the land and life apart in many regions and depleted the type of life to shrive in the whole team players thing. its coming back well,but not everywhere. if if the region has been depleted from region big farming,that has an impact. and here in the states pretty much across the board you have to look and see (IF at all) you can add P to the soil since there is many times the supposed normal amounts.so its limited and injured soil(s) in many regions across the globe. so it can be a thing even in what seems like solid regions. you usually have to tend it ,and add things and build it up. which will solve the issue if the region(s) havent been too messed.

Just saying,its a possibilty. thats all.

thats a nasty hand ya got there dude.LOL his name Willie?! Willie Bite?!LOL
So true regarding whole regions wiped of microbial soil life!
And definitely some of the most challenging situations, because you have to bring that life back from outside the degraded area.
But it's being done too, Elaine Ingham has tons of examples getting the life back into large scale AG situations, with incredibly beautiful repercussions - on livestock health, regional ecology, even the weather.
Hope, deeply moving, right there! :jump:
But we do need to understand that the actual problem is not the absence of P, even in such dire situations, it's the lack of microbes to cycle P into plant-available forms. We can help restoration along by adding soluble nutrients too in the beginning (and it's done that way, slowly phasing out the synthetics as soil life slowly re-establishes itself) , but the biology is the only thing that will stick (literally!) in the long run ;)

I was talking about this last week with my old bio prof. There are many millions of microlife not categorized. I forget the actual estimate for a gram of soil, but it's close to 10 to 9th power microbes per gram. The way they we culture them is mostly on Agar plates, and they estimate about 1-5% can grow in the environment we give them. That leaves 10 to the 9th minus a few thousand left unknown.

They can however do DNA and RNA sequencing on what they find. This is how they get the big number for species richness. But without the ability to culture them independently in the lab, they ignore most of them untill it's easy. And till it fits within the 3 year grant cycles so the studies can be paid for.

I was turned down for several studies already because most of mine would take 5 to 10 years and require expensive DNA testing. There's also the problem of big Ag dictating school resources. There are many many good studies (like mine) that are all about saving the world, that never get traction due to politics and lobbying.

I started two raised bed hugelkulters a couple years ago hoping to get some grant for a microlife richness and diversity study using the hugelkulter technique. But it just costs so much to do the testing I gave up and am just going to have to be happy with my gardens without the study.
That's probably the most succinct representation of the problematics the scientific community is facing that I've ever read.
So true!

I was excited to discover DNA sequencing as a potentially more empirically reliable method to assess microbial communities and understand their interactions - hoping it would be more accepted than the morphological assessment methods Ingham developed many years ago with her professors (and I can understand why too, as I am learning that method myself and can see the pitfalls and reservations one may have about it). But yeah, I had the hunch it's probably hella expensive and not going to be widely accessible anytime soon -apart from the fact that there is all the discovering of which sequences typify which kinds of organisms to be done so that kind of analysis can even be made.

Using a light microscope with shadowing does allow us to roughly ascertain the presence of different trophic groups and thus draw conclusions as to the composition of the soil ecosystem. Sampling live microbial communities, dilution, slide preparation and identification all show variability that we can reduce with practice, but the resulting picture will still be more of a shadow theater of what's REALLY going on in the soil. OTOH, what isn't. all of what we know is basically theories, and even the most robust-seeming get overthrown time and again.
I am certain morphology-based assessment will be superceded by more informed techniques in time, but the the moment we can and do get a pretty good picture, especially over the time course, of how our communities are developing, and how they interrelate. That's how we know there is a succession in soil microbial communities to match with the succession of plants aboveground...

Sorry to read that your impetus has been thwarted by the situation - your ideas sound like just the kind of research we actually need to further our understanding!
And actually, I do think Inghams method could be a solution for your plight, allowing you insights otherwise not possible. it's relatively accessible to most anyone, and once you have that microscope, cost is nill too. Just that the scientific community doesn't really recognize this method as valid...

Cheers!

only real issue is most cant afford DNA sequencing. STUPID expensive last I heard.This is very true. what Kind(s) of studies you got going on? they do a Perma Culture Class and certifications right up the road from me and they were talking about these things the other day. plus there areant too many places that DO DNA sequencing. as of a few years ago there was only like two. probably more now I would imagine..?

In the US you are likely to find sequencing at any land grant University, especially if they also have a medical school. The Uni near me is such a school, we have a couple DNA labs that are shared between Veterinary, Agriculture/Horticulture, Biology, and Medical schools. One reason ours is bigger is that there is a department of energy research station here too. It is mostly used for pathology work though, but they are doing some CRISPR editing on arabidopsis plants.

The cost has come down, and the tests I would need are fairly simple these days but the lab time is expensive, and you have to be a big-wig super professor to get it. I wanted to have a control garden (my no till organic vegetable garden) and two Huegelkulter raised beds on either side. I wanted to measure water capacity, yield over 5 years, and biodiversity of bacteria/fungus. This would also show us what microlife in particular are attracted to the high cellulose content, and show a secession of microlife throughout the decay process.

My reason for doing so is that hugel beds, either above or below ground, would be a perfect solution for building soil in places like Brazil. The cattle industry has stripped the land bare and burned the trees. While they did incorporate the ashes back to the soil; it would be FAR FAR better to build the soil with hugel techniques rather than burn it. I wrote up estimates on how much carbon could be saved from the atmosphere, and how much it would cost to perform the work too. That was one of a few ideas.

yeah Lab time is crazy!! but I guess some have popped up because as of some time ago there were few and obviously more expensive. its the dual nature of the sequencing thats expensive or so I thought. the transcriptome full work up was the most expensive. I wished they had more perma culture with KNF hybrid techniques more widely available for the repair and drainage and all sorts of benefits for the land(s) in huge areas. but lots fighting against it,still LOL!
https://www.genome.gov/13014330/transcriptome-fact-sheet/

and your talking about DNA extraction from soil/AACTs and so forth right?just making sure I am talking about the same thing.

and your talking about DNA extraction from soil/AACTs and so forth right?just making sure I am talking about the same thing.

yes, just a simple count of DNA diversity is all thats required to get the results proving efficacy, but doing genome sequencing to type each one would be a whole other study or studies.

heres an example of how plant research is done, heres a typical gene bank listing for strawberry. At the bottom there are links to all the identified markers that can be edited out and added to other plants too.

http://pgdbj.jp/plantdb/plantinfo.html?ln=en&cmd=entry&ppid=t3747

here's the same sort of thing for microbes:

http://mbgd.genome.ad.jp/

There are at least ten families that directly act on soil that are categorized, but nutrient manufacturers only use a small portion of those.

Had to repot 2 photos today and I am happy with the root systems . :thumbsup:
DSC_0116.JPG
DSC_0117.JPG

Back