Hecno's on going organics

:bighug:G'Day my friend! :smokeout: ... doing a bit of catch-up here,...

upload_2018-2-1_15-36-46-jpeg.858390
<-- :crying: seen this sorry sight before! Peep's just do-not-get-it, snakes have reeeeeach,... you know well, hardest thing to do is not jerk back, it's counter-reflexive to say the least! All those long back-angled teeth :nono: ... Hec' did I ever show you my ol' buddy Ball Python? I've had him almost 30 years now! Got him in '89,... little more than a nice bracelet them- :rofl:... just as mellow and inoffensive as can be,... my nieces spent half their childhoods with him wrapped around on them someplace...:biggrin: .... but the teeth, oh man... a couple feeding "errors" showed me the hard way about that! Funny thing is, the snake knows even before you do that it's made a mistake :rofl:- he releases so fast I hardly get my own reflexes off before he's reeled back and balling up for cover, like he knows he just bite something HUGE and now is gonna die! :rofl:
... Ahh, you still have your resident python too,...:thumbsup: What kind is it again, Scrub, Rock,..? .... and you other friend there, guard indeed! :nono:-- hope he knows who he's working for? :rofl: What species is he Hec'? The markings are gorgeous,.. I don't know if it's the pic or not, but is he kinda triangular is cross-section? Makes think Krait :yoinks:... but I don't think you guys have Krait's there, right? ...Whipsnake? -- sure looks lean and fast!

:greenthumb: great shots of the experiments on microbes and food sources! No doubt, the 'crobe's with the best specific "digestive tools" dominate until the breakdown progresses enough for the rest to get in on the feast,.... :rofl:--that moose-mix bar, hardly looks any different from it did starting out..? The rice, was it cooked or soaked first? ...looking like that at only a week old! :eek1: wow!... the soils, as always- :clapper::clapper::clapper:
:jointman: fine looking lot there Hecno, the kids, hounds,... and pig- :thumbsup: ...good thing they know where to go to have it processed in a jiffy! Who brought Boar over there, way back when, Colonialists?

>>> :spels: mmmm, that Indian girl, she's looking better and better mate :d5:... How long has she been in bloom now? She is making some very very nice bud, high bud:leaf ratio, dense crowns already, and a ways to go still... I'm super impressed Hec', the soil is giving up the P beautifully, only way you get buds like this! I look forward to what info you can get on here, when you can,...

>>> @calliandra :toke: :pass: Hello! I see you have found one of our AFN gems here,... :biggrin:... Our Hec' is a wizard in most all things! :wiz: ... I can tell you two will be hashing out the Goods on organics, microbial life and all that,... look for @Eyes on Fire too, both of these gents are organic mechanics of some skill,... :bow:

@Waira The big one is a rock python , the little one is also a scrub python . The mouse bar did not look to different but it was full of microbes The wild pigs came first of all to the top of Australia way way back , before the English came here . Then the English brought what they call a Captain Cook pig . North Australia are a more Asian type pig . There are way to many up my way . Now some bad news , The Indian girl I harvested today , My fault she got mold , First time it has ever happened to me . We had a power cut the other day while I was at work , now the lights come on as soon as the power does , but the dehumidifier I have to turn on and I forgot to .:wall::wall::wall: It was all amber and started to get a strong lemony smell [ 9 weeks ] . I will end up with about 4 once with what I saved , bit of a bugger , but I'm going to see if I can get some more seeds . There is one big plus . I now know how the cob lights work and what to look out for . I believe the bud structure had a lot to do with the lights as well . So it is Autos next . I'll seed the pots next week . Thanks for popping in mate , Always good to have a yarn with ya . :thumbsup: :vibe:

Here is something I am spending some time on .
1 Microorganism as Indicators of Soil Health The biological activity in soil is largely concentrated in the topsoil, the depth of which may vary from a few to 30 cm. In the topsoil, the biological components occupy a tiny fraction (<0.5%) of the total soil volume and make up less than 10% of the total organic matter in the soil. These biological components consist mainly of soil organisms, especially microorganisms. Despite of their small volume in soil, microorganisms are key players in the cycling of nitrogen, sulfur, and phosphorus, and the decomposition of organic residues. Thereby they affect nutrient and carbon cycling on a global scale (Pankhurst et al. 1997). That is, the energy input into the soil ecosystems is derived from the microbial decomposition of dead plant and animal organic matter. The organic residues are, in this way, converted to biomass or mineralized to CO2, H2O, mineral nitrogen, phosphorus, and other nutrients (Bloem et al. 1997). Microorganisms are further associated with the transformation and degradation of waste materials and synthetic organic compounds (Torstensson et al. 1998). In addition to the effect on nutrient cycling, microorganisms also affect the physical properties of the soil. Production of extra-cellular polysaccharides and other cellular debris by microorganisms help in maintaining soil structure as well as soil health. Thereby, they also affect water holding capacity, infiltration rate, crusting, erodibility, and susceptibility to compaction (Elliott et al. 1996). Microorganisms possess the ability to give an integrated measure of soil health, an aspect that cannot be obtained with physical/chemical measures and/or analyses of diversity of higher organisms. Microorganisms respond quickly to changes; hence they rapidly adapt to environmental conditions, and thus they can be used for soil health assessment, and changes in microbial populations and activities may therefore function as an excellent indicator of change in soil health (Kennedy and Papendick 1995; Pankhurst et al. 1995). Microorganisms also respond quickly to environmental stress compared to higher organisms, as they have intimate relations with their surroundings due to their high surface to volume ratio. In some instances, changes in microbial populations or activity can precede detectable changes in the soil’s physical and chemical properties, thereby providing an early sign of soil improvement or an early warning of soil degradation (Pankhurst et al. 1995). The impact of some chemicals on soil health is dependent on microbial activities. For example, the concentration of heavy metals in soil will not change over small time periods, but their bioavailability may. In this way, soil enzymes are acting as important indicators of soil..
-------------
www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda.../9783642142246-c1.pdf?SGWID.---- lots more I only posted part of it .

Proteases in the soil play a significant role in N mineralization (Ladd and Jackson 1982), an important process regulating the amount of plant available N and plant 36 S.K. Das and A. Varma growth. This enzyme in the soil is generally associated with inorganic and organic colloids (Burns 1982; Nannipieri et al. 1996). The amount of this extra cellular enzyme activity may be indicative not only of the biological capacity of soil for the enzymatic conversion of the substrate, which is independent of the extent of microbial activity, but might also have an important role in the ecology of microorganisms in the ecosystem (Burns 1982). There is a need to study the properties and factors affecting naturally occurring enzyme complexes such as those involving protease enzymes in the soil ecosystem as they may reveal some unknown role(s) in maintaining soil health and fertility. ---------
Phosphatases In soil ecosystems, these enzymes are believed to play critical roles in P cycles (Speir and Ross 1978) as evidence shows that they are correlated to P stress and plant growth. Apart from being good indicators of soil fertility, phosphatase enzyme plays a key role in the soil system (Eivazi and Tabatabai 1977; Dick et al. 2000). For example, when there is a signal indicating P deficiency in the soil, acid phosphatase secretion from plant roots is increased to enhance the solubilization and remobilization of phosphate, thus influencing the ability of the plant to cope with P-stressed conditions (Karthikeyan et al. 2002; Mudge et al. 2002; Versaw and Harrison 2002). Understanding the dynamics of enzyme activities in these systems is crucial for predicting their interactions as their activities may, in turn, regulate nutrient uptake and plant growth, later on, where soil health is concerned.

Back