Grow Room Growing a small plant on purpose--CANNABONSAI

Sour D

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Sooo, I had made a post in the upcoming solo cup comp about it might be cool to have a canna bonsai comp. Somes folks expressed interest in it so we got together and hashed out some ideas. At this point we thought it might be best to have a post in here where folks can come to learn and share this somewhat unusual way to grow cannabis.

Personally, I've been interested in bonsai since my old hippy days but just never seemed to find time or even stay in one place long enough to actually do it. I tripped across a fellow on Youtube--Manny's Cannabonsai and after watching a few vids and was like "I can do this!". This isn't something that takes generations to do. Manny uses autoflowers and most projects are only a few months. You can also use photos which you can stretch out a lot longer.

As far as a comp, we felt we should hold off a bit on that and let folks learn and practice a bit.

I'd like to thank @arty zan @hairyman @St. Tom @Suki813 @Vapo for their help, ideas and interest in getting this started

Education
Will use this space to put links to educational materials.

Mannys Cannabonsai (canna) https://www.youtube.com/c/Cannabonsai
He has an ebook for sale, $7, showing how he does it. Not necessarily the traditional methods.

Eisei-en Bonsai (traditional) https://www.youtube.com/c/EiseienBonsai

Herons Bonsai (traditional) https://www.youtube.com/c/HeronsBonsaiUK

Wasakura (traditional) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt-zeTMKAEG5_p0HUK1xvTQ

Got more? Reply here and I'll compile it in a list

Last edited:
I'll get started. Around the same time I found Manny's page, I had started 3 seeds. 2 would go into a sip and the weakest would go into a small pot. So when I saw the cannabonsai, tle light bulb went off and I picked up a small pot and transplanted the runt. That's probably not the best thing to do,, This girl had been around for a few weeks and there was very little internodal space and the branches were quite stiff. If I had cut a couple buds off to have more bending space there would have been next to nothing left. And she never did any stretching. Lesson 1 learned. So if your expecting a pic of the most perfect cannabonsai---forgedaboutit.
My first effort.

20211021_9053-kush-1 copy.jpg

I'll get started. Around the same time I found Manny's page, I had started 3 seeds. 2 would go into a sip and the weakest would go into a small pot. So when I saw the cannabonsai, tle light bulb went off and I picked up a small pot and transplanted the runt. That's probably not the best thing to do,, This girl had been around for a few weeks and there was very little internodal space and the branches were quite stiff. If I had cut a couple buds off to have more bending space there would have been next to nothing left. And she never did any stretching. Lesson 1 learned. So if your expecting a pic of the most perfect cannabonsai---forgedaboutit.
My first effort.

View attachment 1380241
Wow I love this! I wish I hadn't just repped coz I want to rep you again now!
This is a wonderful idea for a thread and will be useful to so many members, who have a similar interest, in growing bonsai's and bonsai canna plants.
It will be so cool to see other peoples bonsai journals popping up in forum too!
Thank you for those great links, some good reading to be had there!!:thumbsup:
I am totally subbed up for this :pop: chair pulled up, this is gonna be so good!
This thread could become massive in a very, very small way, if you know what I mean, as in small plants lol
Once again thanks for setting this up pal!:d5:
arty:pass:

I'm so in lol. I've got a sorta stunted little lady in my tent that I'm eyeballing to maybe transplant over to a bonsai grow. I was going to say that i need to figure out what sort of container to use, but I *just* remembered that I've got an old reptile water dish sitting in my kitchen that I could absolutely take a spade bit to for drainage. I've also got tons of old pots from before my houseplant hobby crashed and burned that are just sitting empty on my storage shelves out back. Decisions, decisions.

Sooo, I had made a post in the upcoming solo cup comp about it might be cool to have a canna bonsai comp. Somes folks expressed interest in it so we got together and hashed out some ideas. At this point we thought it might be best to have a post in here where folks can come to learn and share this somewhat unusual way to grow cannabis.

Personally, I've been interested in bonsai since my old hippy days but just never seemed to find time or even stay in one place long enough to actually do it. I tripped across a fellow on Youtube--Manny's Cannabonsai and after watching a few vids and was like "I can do this!". This isn't something that takes generations to do. Manny uses autoflowers and most projects are only a few months. You can also use photos which you can stretch out a lot longer.

As far as a comp, we felt we should hold off a bit on that and let folks learn and practice a bit.

I'd like to thank @arty zan @hairyman @St. Tom @Suki813 @Vapo for their help, ideas and interest in getting this started
Thanks for the reps @St. Tom and @arty zan

I'm so in lol. I've got a sorta stunted little lady in my tent that I'm eyeballing to maybe transplant over to a bonsai grow. I was going to say that i need to figure out what sort of container to use, but I *just* remembered that I've got an old reptile water dish sitting in my kitchen that I could absolutely take a spade bit to for drainage. I've also got tons of old pots from before my houseplant hobby crashed and burned that are just sitting empty on my storage shelves out back. Decisions, decisions.
There is so many ways to be creative with this. I've got my eye on a hollowed out knot on a tree.

Hi all,
Excuse my naivety, but as a total newbie about growing (apart my first current grow), I have a question :
What is the interest, the purpose of a canna bonsai ?
Is it just for the fun of micro growing ?

Hi all,
Excuse my naivety, but as a total newbie about growing (apart my first current grow), I have a question :
What is the interest, the purpose of a canna bonsai ?
Is it just for the fun of micro growing ?
Exactly! I know I've got some freebee seeds that I wouldn't devote big pot space to but a fun little plant -sure.
They could also make cool gifts.

Exactly! I know I've got some freebee seeds that I wouldn't devote big pot space to but a fun little plant -sure.
They could also make cool gifts.
Oh I see !
That sounds like fun ^^
By the way, I have a royal dwarf auto in my garden which is so small, with barely internodes, almost ready to harvest...
I can now call her my little auto-bonsai !! :lol:

Back