Grow Room Growing a small plant on purpose--CANNABONSAI

Hi all,
Excuse my naivety, but as a total newbie about growing (apart my first current grow), I have a question :
What is the interest, the purpose of a canna bonsai ?
Is it just for the fun of micro growing ?
There's also the artistry of it, these girls were grown in a 5gal, so not bonsai but still similar in principle in terms of shaping and such.

20210911_130726.jpg
20210911_130843.jpg
20210911_131007.jpg
20210913_125920.jpg

With doing canna-bonsai, you have to really dial in your environment in order to be successful. The smaller the amount of media you have, the less buffer you have in terms of things like your PH, nutes, water, etc. Just like its harder to maintain stability the smaller your fish tank is, etc. So that means that it will also function as a self challenge in that regard. We definitely aren't in it for the yield on this, more for science than anything.

But also, being that my personal goal is to find a grow method that works well for me and produces sufficient yields in as small of a footprint as possible, its a good exercise in just how small I can go. I grow in a 2x2 and while I could absolutely grow one or two very large plants at a time, I really think that would be boring for me. I'm quite impulsive and like variety in both flavor and effect. Having a tent that small can be really limiting for people, and a lot people will say that more than one plant in a 2x2 is too many.

As far as I find this canna bonsai concept fascinating, I think I will try to bring my current (first ever) grow to a happy end lol
Maybe I'll try later, when my skills will improve.
Happy bonsai to you !

Sooo, I had made a post in the upcoming solo cup comp about it might be cool to have a canna bonsai comp. Somes folks expressed interest in it so we got together and hashed out some ideas. At this point we thought it might be best to have a post in here where folks can come to learn and share this somewhat unusual way to grow cannabis.

Personally, I've been interested in bonsai since my old hippy days but just never seemed to find time or even stay in one place long enough to actually do it. I tripped across a fellow on Youtube--Manny's Cannabonsai and after watching a few vids and was like "I can do this!". This isn't something that takes generations to do. Manny uses autoflowers and most projects are only a few months. You can also use photos which you can stretch out a lot longer.

As far as a comp, we felt we should hold off a bit on that and let folks learn and practice a bit.

I'd like to thank @arty zan @hairyman @St. Tom @Suki813 @Vapo for their help, ideas and interest in getting this started
I think it's an interesting topic. Cannabis can be a beautiful plant. How the plant looks is something I always consider when buying new seeds. And with plant limits, clones you don't want to lose can be grafted onto a bonsai for a truly Frankenstein look.

My Bonsai Pine Tree(pinus halepensis!)is starting out now......
IMG_20211022_175033670.jpg
IMG_20211022_175041193_MP.jpg

My Bonsai Pine Tree(pinus halepensis!)is starting out now......View attachment 1380553View attachment 1380554
Very nice bro!:d5::smoking::headbang:
I did wonder what it was.
Also known as the Aleppo pine.
A mature tree grows to a height of up to 18m, with a spread of 10m, and has a moderate growth rate of about 25cm per year.
So this is gonna be so cool, to see one Bonsai'ed.:woohoo1:

Hey everyone...I have an update on my bonsai....I checked the other seeds that I thought were bunk and actually none were haha ...so I have put 3 in one pot with the idea to wind them together as they grow.
IMG_20211106_152521864.jpg
IMG_20211106_155220543.jpg
IMG_20211106_160008601.jpg

Back