Indoor Galaxy Brain by Night Owl

Not much to report so far, the GB sprouted a week ago and is doing well. I added some dry amendments to the surface of the pot, only 2 TBLS of Dr Earths. My thinking is this is a low amount of amendment but it will take time for the biology to break it down so by slowly adding now it should be ready by the time the plants need it.
I plan to add dry amendments slowly until week 3-4 where I know most of the nutrients in the medium should be used up by that point. I’ll also be using some comfrey ferments, LAB and a calphos extract throughout the grow.

Two days ago I did a light spraying using LAB and comfrey ferment to help kickstart some more biology and to inoculate the plants with some more microbes.

Attachments

• 14F012B8-8344-40EA-8412-F5938808CA8E.jpeg
    14F012B8-8344-40EA-8412-F5938808CA8E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
Here is my first grow journal at the AFN and I’m excited to bring you a Galaxy Brain from Night Owl Seeds. She is in a 5 gallon smart pot that is made up of a homemade recycled soil. I reamended with home made worm casting, home made insect frass, some BAS dry amendments and added worms and a cover crop before planting. I’ll be cutting the cover crop down as the plant gets a bit larger.

This is my first round using Blumats, so I’m excited to see how the watering works using this system from start to finish.

plant is under a Kingbright 240watt 3500k LED setup. The room is about 70F and humidity fluctuates on the lower end right now. My humidity controller and setup is currently helping me dry some bud from the last harvest so I’ll bring that back in once the bud is done drying.

Let me know if you have any questions.

@Mañ'O'Green

View attachment 1412736
Ordered me some blu mats to check them out. Will be running them soon.

I’ve been very happy with them so far. It took me a little while to figure out how to get them sorted, but now that they’re setup all I have to do is fill my res once or twice a week depending on the cycle of where I am. If I were to make a purchase a second time around, I wouldn’t have purchased a kit. I would’ve purchased all the parts individually. But now I know what parts I would want when I decide to expand.

Last edited:
Today is week two of my galaxy brain. So far the plants growing very well I’ve cut back some of the cover crop, and plan to cut down some more. I recently have added some light amendments to the top, and plan to add a little bit more every week throughout the cycle. At the moment I’ll be giving some recharge just add some additional microbes into the mix.

edit: I fed about 1/2 tsp in a falling of water to all the plants in my room.

Attachments

• AFDDBB0E-7173-4E22-B9E5-3A104FAED6DD.jpeg
    AFDDBB0E-7173-4E22-B9E5-3A104FAED6DD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
They just sent me a tracking number today. I ordered a 6 carrot kit, some capillary mat, the high dollar surface carrot, 2 of the high dollar 4 way drippers (their brand), and three of the bottle ends.
175.00 delivered. Worth every penny if it works.

They just sent me a tracking number today. I ordered a 6 carrot kit, some capillary mat, the high dollar surface carrot, 2 of the high dollar 4 way drippers (their brand), and three of the bottle ends.
175.00 delivered. Worth every penny if it works.
It definitely is. I’ve been listening to the KIS Organics podcast and there have been several discussions about how blumats can lead to a healthier plant since it puts the plants in control of what they need and when they need it. I love how my pots just stay at the right moisture without me watching.

I do want to get distribution drippers so I can make a larger area of watering, but I haven’t made my final parts list for what else I want to buy. I will soon

Tonight, day 15, I cut down some of my cover crop in my Galaxy Brain pot and I was careful not to cut my plant but did cut my 3mm line on the dripping end of the blumat. I was able to pull out some more but I’ll definitely need to replace it. Luckily when I place my order I’ll be adding some 3mm tubing as a backup and to add on distribution drippers to my setup.
I did get some basalt from KIS organics and top dressed a bit. This is reused soil, I did add some minerals to it but felt a little extra wouldn’t hurt since it takes a long time to become plant available.

I do plan on getting a soil test, most likely after the cycle to see how much I need to add and to see if it is similar to what I had already added.

Back