New Grower First Time Auto Growing Need Help!

And @islandgrower

Thanks for always looking out and checking in. You must have seen me asking around the forums about QBs and not really getting much response. I'd not be surprised if this is the case. You're just that cool of a dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haven't been on much lately . And any questions just ask bro . Any time

'Carpe diem et fumum veriditas'

True . Building your own will always be cheaper as well. I will let you know if I am in need of parts .
Thats what my wife is making me do. Wait for China to have them. She don't want me to buy Iphone 7 when Iphone 8 is coming out next month cos she knows I'll just buy that too. Maybe not the best analogy..

Im not considering buying from HLG due cost and location. I can ship discreetly only from China at the moment. I'm gonna be getting them from one of two places. At least for now, thats the plan.

Either from the same place F.N. got them....but their 288 boards are a little different from HLG and they don't know when or if they can get top bin chips like those that HLG uses for V2. So they will be a good choice for V1 boards.

Or get it from the actual maker of HLG boards, which I've been told is estimated to be in stock in a month or so. I figure many will try to pass off lower bin chips to make a quick buck cos apparently, you can't tell the difference. So safest route would be to get it from the source. I managed to get chummy with one of the staffs there so hopefully I get informed when stock arrives.

Let me know if you need a hookup with this?

What's up @Equatorial? I haven't been online in a while. I started a small part-time business. It has kept me pretty busy. Looks like you have been busy as well! Great harvest brother. Looks like you have graduated from Private to Private First Class soldier! Keep up the good work and you'll be running this outfit.:cheers:

Hey @Equatorial, just wanted to let you know that you have inspired me brother. I read about splitting the stalk to increase bud size a few years back. The info I read suggested doing it as soon as flower set in. I never tried it and eventually forgot about it. I have a cross that I made (Himalaya Blue Diesel x Alien vs Triangle) that will be coming down in a week, so I decided to give it a go. See.......you can teach an old do new tricks .:wiz:

Blue Alien Diesel
DSCN1772.JPG

DSCN1776.JPG

DSCN1773.JPG

I put some Gorilla Tape above and below split to make sure it doesn't tear more. Not sure it was necessary. :peace:

Sweet more experimenting for me to do .
Hey @Equatorial, just wanted to let you know that you have inspired me brother. I read about splitting the stalk to increase bud size a few years back. The info I read suggested doing it as soon as flower set in. I never tried it and eventually forgot about it. I have a cross that I made (Himalaya Blue Diesel x Alien vs Triangle) that will be coming down in a week, so I decided to give it a go. See.......you can teach an old do new tricks .:wiz:

Blue Alien Diesel
View attachment 918866

View attachment 918868

View attachment 918869

I put some Gorilla Tape above and below split to make sure it doesn't tear more. Not sure it was necessary. :peace:

Blue Alien Diesel
View attachment 918866

View attachment 918868

View attachment 918869

Sweet! I'd really love to know how it works in your highly experienced hands. I only did 2 days due to lack of guts. It was a plant with little to lose. But what I saw was very promising. In your hands, we'll have a conclusive result for sure.

You did great with the tape. I used zipties. Same objective though.

Sweet! I'd really love to know how it works in your highly experienced hands. I only did 2 days due to lack of guts. It was a plant with little to lose. But what I saw was very promising. In your hands, we'll have a conclusive result for sure.

You did great with the tape. I used zipties. Same objective though.

I appreciate the kind words brother. My confidence in doing this experiment comes from seeing the resilience of this little plant over the last 35+ years of growing. These ladies respond extremely well to stress, hence all the bending techniques that are out there. I always bend, almost in half, the lowest part of the main stem in all of my plants, once they have 6-8 nodes. This creates a thick "knuckle" in the base, due to the plant rerouting the water and nutes around the bent/damaged part of the stem, creating stronger branches with larger flowers. This pencil thing seems like a much more extreme version of that.

I was also thinking of your problem of pencils being to large to use on your plants. I have a free solution for you; not even the cost of pencils. I always dry out and use my harvested untrained plant skeletons as substitutes for bamboo stakes. I decided to save the trimmed side branch remnants to use in place of the pencils. This would work for smaller stalks very well. I just used a pocket knife to gently push through the stem, just until maybe 1/4" of the tip comes out the other side. I then use my closed/locked shears, inserted vertically. Once I get to the section of the shears that is as wide as the small piece of branch, I turn the shears horizontally and insert small branch piece. Didn't really use any tape this time because you can kind of see where the stress of the tear stops. I was feeling so confident about it, that I did a whole tent. Here are a few pics for you.

DSCN1797.JPG

DSCN1798.JPG

DSCN1800.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1802.JPG
    DSCN1802.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN1801.JPG
    DSCN1801.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
I appreciate the kind words brother. My confidence in doing this experiment comes from seeing the resilience of this little plant over the last 35+ years of growing. These ladies respond extremely well to stress, hence all the bending techniques that are out there. I always bend, almost in half, the lowest part of the main stem in all of my plants, once they have 6-8 nodes. This creates a thick "knuckle" in the base, due to the plant rerouting the water and nutes around the bent/damaged part of the stem, creating stronger branches with larger flowers. This pencil thing seems like a much more extreme version of that.

I was also thinking of your problem of pencils being to large to use on your plants. I have a free solution for you; not even the cost of pencils. I always dry out and use my harvested untrained plant skeletons as substitutes for bamboo stakes. I decided to save the trimmed side branch remnants to use in place of the pencils. This would work for smaller stalks very well. I just used a pocket knife to gently push through the stem, just until maybe 1/4" of the tip comes out the other side. I then use my closed/locked shears, inserted vertically. Once I get to the section of the shears that is as wide as the small piece of branch, I turn the shears horizontally and insert small branch piece. Didn't really use any tape this time because you can kind of see where the stress of the tear stops. I was feeling so confident about it, that I did a whole tent. Here are a few pics for you.

View attachment 919189

View attachment 919190

View attachment 919194

One more thing @Equatorial. I forgot to mention one of the main fixes to apply to your dwc.....Heisenberg Tea. It is a miracle cure! I used an old sock as a tea bag. I added 1c wormcastings and 1c compost to the sock. I added 2 Tbsp unsulfured molsses to a little warm water to dissolve, and add to the 5g bucket. Bubble it for 48 hours. Add 1c tea per gallon to your res. It promotes crazy root development, and overall wonderful plant health. People will say that you need to buy specific bottled products specifically developed for hydro, but not true. I won't ask you to take my word on something so crucial. I have provided a link from a professional.

https://gardenculturemagazine.com/garden-inputs/nutrients/using-compost-tea-hydroponics/

Here is a simple tea maker.
View attachment 919212

View attachment 919213

Hope this helps you grow some trees brother. :peace:

I'm only doing soil grow at the moment. DWC looks like it would be too humid for my conditions and I'd need to spend a lot to make it work for me. Not really into doing that at the moment when Im not even sure I got soil grows dialed in yet.

But I've been a big fan of EWC tea. Used it twice on this grow. 20% of soil is EWC. One tea formula for when stretching and another during flower. Since Im gonna be using Greenleaf stuff for next grow, probably not gonna use teas to see the results. Am gonna add to soil for sure. At least 20% like last run.

Please do keep us updated with your stabbing experiment. I'm pretty confident you will be able to set a standard for this technique with the amount of plants you are doing it to and of course, your decades of experience.

I need to start growing soon. I almost punched a pussy of a man in the face yesterday! I need my girls to keep my temper in check....LOL

I have much to learn from a former marine that can probably snap my neck in half. But is a gentleman with newbs like me, has a green thumb, patient (you must be for raising 2 daughters alone) and just one heck of a dude! Yes, I remember all those facts about you cos I read them....and admire the fook outta ya!

If you ever come by my part of the world, please do visit and hang!

I'm only doing soil grow at the moment. DWC looks like it would be too humid for my conditions and I'd need to spend a lot to make it work for me. Not really into doing that at the moment when Im not even sure I got soil grows dialed in yet.

But I've been a big fan of EWC tea. Used it twice on this grow. 20% of soil is EWC. One tea formula for when stretching and another during flower. Since Im gonna be using Greenleaf stuff for next grow, probably not gonna use teas to see the results. Am gonna add to soil for sure. At least 20% like last run.

Please do keep us updated with your stabbing experiment. I'm pretty confident you will be able to set a standard for this technique with the amount of plants you are doing it to and of course, your decades of experience.

I need to start growing soon. I almost punched a pussy of a man in the face yesterday! I need my girls to keep my temper in check....LOL

I have much to learn from a former marine that can probably snap my neck in half. But is a gentleman with newbs like me, has a green thumb, patient (you must be for raising 2 daughters alone) and just one heck of a dude! Yes, I remember all those facts about you cos I read them....and admire the fook outta ya!

If you ever come by my part of the world, please do visit and hang!

My bad @Equatorial . I remember that now. Tired and had a little brain fart. Earlier I was reading another newer growers' thread running dwc, and somehow got locked onto that. Yeah brother, those are a lot of facts that you remember! Your grey matter is much fresher than mine. If we were talking cars, yours would still have that "new car" smell, and my shit would be covered in air fresheners! :crying:

If I make it your way, I would love to have a beer with you brother! I love seeing new places and experiencing different cultures. My dream is to make enough money to just do that!

On a serious note, unless someone is a serious threat to you or your family, always walk away man. Weak people are usually scared people. Scared people shoot people. I know that it is very hard to do sometime brother, but try to never let someone else's words cost you your freedom.....or maybe worse. Being a real man means that you are in control of your emotions. You see many more options when you can stay calm in a confrontational situation. I took a long road to arrive at that destination, so I am not talking down to you brother, just passing along something that I wish I had learned much earlier in life. They say that showing anger shows weakness, and that is true....so whenever you do have to kick some ass, just stay calm while you're doing it.:rofl:

Last edited:
Back