Outdoor first guerrilla grow/ second outdoor

As a novice curer - only my third year. Curing is a dark art - somewhere between sublime scrunchy (but not damp n springy) and crispy outrage. Since I like to keep my varieties separate I use smaller jars - I avoid large jars with small amounts of bud as I find it harder to control humidity. Keep em in the dark and somewhere cool - and inspect regularly in the first few days (tip out and do a full check over if you've already had bud rot). Burp and tip out onto a paper for a short period if feeling damp and springy.

The trick is grabbing them off the drying / hanging area when whey still have a bit of moisture (some of this can be locked up in the stem bits you leave in the trim - so the sugar leaves might be dryish - but a day later in the jar will be moist as the bud is still drying and the stems still providing moisture).

There are (apparently) lots of 'fixes' to add to regulate humidity in curing but to be honest I wing it and if I end up with one jar going a bit dryish am happy to introduce a moister bud to help re humidity (I can't afford all these fancy jars and gel packs anyway).

But two weeks cure is a bit short in my opinion - and i'm known to be an eager sampler of my new crop - but by about 6 weeks you should have a much more flavoured cure, by this point almost all off the chlorophyll has degraded and what you are left with is the varieties own aroma << there are so many 'factors in this' hence I describe it as a dark art - but the longer you can keep your paws off it from fresh the nicer it seems... tho that might be a psychological effect, like preferring a 12 year old malt over the 8 year old....

There are whole sections on curing here but keeping your hands off it for several weeks seems to be the advice if you want flavour development.

Last edited:
How long generally does it take whilst curing to get the smell and taste to return. It's been more than 2 weeks, burping daily for 15mins and it still all smells like hay/tea?

As a novice curer - only my third year. Curing is a dark art - somewhere between sublime scruchy (but not damp n springy) and crispy outrage. Since I like to keep my varieties separate I have to use smaller jars - I avoid large jars with small amounts of bud as I find it harder to control humidity. Keep em in the dark and somewhere cool - and inspect regularly in the first few days (tip out and do a full check over if you've already had budrot). Burp and tip out onto a paper for a short period if feeling damp and springy.

But two weeks is a bit short imo - and i'm known to be an eager sampler of my new crop - but by about 6 weeks you should have a much more flavoured cure, by this point almost all off the chlorophyll has degraded and what you are left with is the varieties own aroma << there are so many 'factors in this' is hence I describe it as a dark art - but the longer you can keep your paws off it from fresh the nicer it seems... tho that might be a psychological effect like preferring a 12 year old malt over the 8 year old - who knows.

dark art alright lol.... don't know if you guys have seen these boveda packs, they really help with humidity control..check out this thread..

https://www.autoflower.org/index.php?threads/boveda-62.31142/page-26#post-897772

:baked:

I doubt it, it hung in a dark cupboard for 6-7 days put in the jar when the stalks where dry but not at the point of snapping...if that makes sense. Been burping the jars daily.

Yeah il try keep my hands off. Iv had a few testers. Thanks treeman, yeah Scotland aint known for its weed growing climate

Hey guys I picked up some boveda 8g 62rh sachets. So wats the script just plonk them in the jar with the weed? Do I still need to burp my kilner jars?

Dunno m8 - read the thread/instructions ...

They are like hi-tec silica gel packs that can both take in and give out moisture - so in a smallish jar just pop one in and it should stabilise the humidity.

Will be interesting to see what you think of em... I still have 3 plants to go so might try em out for the last cure of the year.

I guess perhaps the final stage should be given as much attention as the first.

Hell I only grow for the fun of it anyway (said smoking a large one while gesticulating to the heavens with one finger as the rain starts) :D

Last edited:
Hey guys I picked up some boveda 8g 62rh sachets. So wats the script just plonk them in the jar with the weed? Do I still need to burp my kilner jars?

Yeah just chuck em in, i think the boveda website give recommendations on how many gram satchel to use per oz. I put 2 x 4g packs per 2 oz in a jar. I opened it daily, sucked the old air out with my lungs and then just wave some cardboard as a fan to push some fresh air in. I welcome any comments as I have only started using these last harvest but i was happy with result. Just telling you what I did and had no mould and nice smelling buds but check with Boveda and some other more exprerinced curers may give you (and me) some further advice. Has it sweetened up for you yet ?

Yeah iv chucked them in , the smells is beginning to smell a bit less like hay

Hey folks bad news went to check NL a stick of mould... Literally nothing saveable. Anyway iv been dipping in and out of the jars, its lost its hay like aroma but still not quite there. I'm gonna try n keep it as long as possible so the last of its super cured.

Back