New Grower First grow - RQS Northern Lights auto

I was going to cut everything above the net line and let all the lower undeveloped stuff go a bit longer so you can use me as your guinea pig!

I was going to cut everything above the net line and let all the lower undeveloped stuff go a bit longer so you can use me as your guinea pig!

Will watch with interest!

Hey GMan, repslap!

Two comments on why she was a bit spindly and not very fat.

1. Did you start her in crappy seedling compost or was it decent stuff ?
2. It's all about input -> transform -> output. IMHO i think a 300W CFL doesn't provide enough light input to photosynthesize a plant in a large container. So the plant has all this room to grow but not enough light to support the growth. I'd say, with a 250/300 wattt CFL don't go any larger than 2L pots and you should be able to run four plants under her, ALL of which will be using your light effectively in a smaller plant.

I'll send you a PM with a link to my 1GB grow book collection :)

steely

I think it was decent stuff! Growsure seedling, my other plants (chilli, cucumbers etc) seemed happy enough anyway!

I think another reason was I kept the light about 8" away throughout the grow as I was worried I'd burn her. With my Roadrunner I kept it at 2-3" with very little stretch.

Will try a smaller pot next time round too. Cheers for the rep & the links :)

Try a 5500k or 6400k bulb for veg then switch over to the 2700k bulb once buds set in. Been impressed with the 150w 5500k veg bulb I got it as has it kept the plant / nodes nice and compact and the plant has easily filled out a 20ltr pot.

I've switched over now, to try get a little more stretch out of the plant, that 300w does kick out a fair amount of heat compared to the 150w, resulting in yet more stuff for me to be buying fan/filter and a proper grow tent as unable to mode the wardrobe it currently in.

Try a 5500k or 6400k bulb for veg then switch over to the 2700k bulb once buds set in. Been impressed with the 150w 5500k veg bulb I got it as has it kept the plant / nodes nice and compact and the plant has easily filled out a 20ltr pot.

I've switched over now, to try get a little more stretch out of the plant, that 300w does kick out a fair amount of heat compared to the 150w, resulting in yet more stuff for me to be buying fan/filter and a proper grow tent as unable to mode the wardrobe it currently in.

When I started I was working on a tight budget. I could have bought 2 150w bulbs with different spectrums or the 1 300w red.
I appreciate what you're saying but in all honesty I think it was more down to the mistakes I made over the equipment I'm using.

Back