Indoor First Grow - Northern Lights Indica Auot Fem

I know this isn't really the place but this is the state of my new 2' x 3' x 3' growbox. It's all framed up and ready for the panels. :biggrin:

IMG_2478.JPG

Day 10.

Girls are coming along nicely. They've really started growing a lot faster. I watered them on day 8 for the first time since they sprouted. I waited a bit longer than I intended. On day six I noticed a few gnats, so I let the top inch of soil dry out really well. I've seen no more gnats but picked up some mosquito bits just in case.

Two look almost exactly alike but one came up a bit different. I've dubbed her "Twisty." They all look a little washed out - a lighter green than I expected. Twisty (the different one) looks scaly. She's always looked that way but shes keeping up with her sisters growth-wise. I have my LED panel a good 22" above them and I'm thinking of raising it a bit more. I wonder if they might be suffering from a bit of light burn.

Here's some pics:

IMG_2522.JPG
IMG_2524.JPG
IMG_2526.JPG

The third one is Twisty. You can tell how scaly she looks compared to the twins. Anybody have any ideas why she looks like that? She popped up that way. I wonder if it could have been the soil. More on that below.

All in all I'm very pleased with their growth and I'm expecting their growth to really accelerate soon.

One thing I'm changing for sure on the next grow is the soil. I bought a commercial grade organic mix and it was a hot mix. The only perlite I could find was hot also. Even though I washed it all out really well before using it, I'm wondering if that had anything to do with Twisty's troubles. Next time around I'm building my own mix with coco coir, perlite, compost and coarse sand. I've been really disappointed with the big DIY stores for years since the only mixes they carry are hot. I like to control feeding my plants whether they're tomatoes, chilies or cannabis.

Anyway, looks like I've got about another week - maybe a few more days and I can start the LST.

This is really fun!

My growbox is coming along also. I've got all the panels cut out, primed and the first layer of flat white on the inside of 'em. I hope to have the box together this weekend. I'm saving the doors for last since my carpentry skills are not second nature. Most can measure twice and cut once. I have to think about it a bit more than that and always make mistakes along the way - a lot of back up and redo. But even then, I enjoy it.

That's it for this update. Cheers!

Edited for content.

Day 15

The girls are starting to grow more quickly. Twisty is looking really bad and I may have to loose her. I've got some AK-48 on order and should be here any day now. I'm thinking of christening the new grow box with one or two but that'd be my second grow and me getting way ahead of my self again. I've not done anything to my northern lights since the last update other than check on them periodically.

Here they are:

IMG_2532.JPG
IMG_2533.JPG
IMG_2535.JPG

And the state of my growbox:

IMG_2536.JPG
IMG_2537.JPG

All in all. I think everything is coming in right nicely. :biggrin:

Day 19

The girls are really cranking on the growth. Lots of side shoots. I gave them their first veg feeding and I'm pretty sure they were a bit nitrogen starved. They're all a nice dark green now. :biggrin:

We're just about ready to start LST.

I mixed up a batch of fresh potting soil: 5 parts coco coir, 1 part mushroom compost, 1 part earthworm castings, 2 parts course sand & 3 parts perlite. This stuff is draining much quicker than the commercial stuff I used on the first grow. I'm still waiting on the AK-48 auto seeds to arrive but got in the Jock Horror I ordered a week later (go figure), so I'm changing my plans a bit. I started my next grow last night by planting 2 more northern light autos and one Jock Horror photoperiod fem. I'm going to try main-lining the Jock. I planted them all in perforated dixie cups in the new soil mix. They're in the grow space, to the side of the light and covered with an inverted clear drainage dish.

I'll save the AK-48s for the next grow. I also just ordered some bubblelicious autos. I think I'm good to go bean-wise for a while.

Here are some picks of the first grow. Twisty is still looking bad but is keeping up with her sisters growth-wise. I'm on the fence about keeping her.

IMG_2538.JPG
IMG_2540.JPG
IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2542.JPG

Ah yes! Now, we're really having some fun!

Things are really starting to move with the first grow, so I should start updating more frequently.

Edited: added content

Last edited:
Day 22

Fed the girls 1.5 liters 1/4 strength veg feeding. Trained some of the fan leaves on the big girl to allow light to penetrate some of the side growth. Twisty's new growth is looking much better. One of the NL beans from the second batch popped. I guess I need to start a new journal for the second batch. :biggrin:

I've completed the new growbox with the exception of the scrubbers. I've gotten the scrubber fans in and created mounting brackets for them. I hope to have the scrubbers completed by this weekend.

The girls:

Big Girl
IMG_2549.JPG

Little sister
IMG_2545.JPG

Twisty
IMG_2547.JPG

And the growbox :biggrin:
IMG_2554.JPG
IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_2550.JPG

The bottom chamber is the intake. There is a vent on the bottom left. You can just see it in the first pic with the doors open. I'm building the scrubber / filters. There will be three of them in order to keep a low profile, since they'll be inside the box.

I still need to add some insulation stripping around the doors for light leaks too. Other than that, it's done.

Edited: content

It was maybe a little early for LST, but i should work as expected.
Don't know how you feed yours plants but the last one is definitely not enjoying it ! Be careful with this one. BTW, it's far too early for nutes. I'm saying it a lot, but commun soil can easily feed your girls for 2-3 weeks.

Good first grow !!

Back