New Grower First grow and new to the network...

I love my cobs....

Here's some info BigSmo at Cobshop.net gave in a converstaion last Summer:

As far as height goes numbers are very basic and should only be used as a starting point.
Every strain is different, nutrient schedule, even how well you grow the plants makes a big impact.

For seedlings 30-36” in veg 24-30” and in flower 16-24” is the safe zone.

If the plants are green and happy with leaves pointing upwards then you may consider lowering a bit more.

Yes the lights should remain 30-36 when you first plant them.
In the early stages they seem like they can handle more light so it’s hard to draw that line of too much.

As far as light schedule goes this is all personal experience or opinion.
I run my lights 24 hours a day till the plants are a few inches tall than switch 19 on and 5 hours off.
I keep it here till finish. I also set the 5 hours off between 12-5pm.
The warmest part of the day helps cooling and the warmer part in winter so they plants have less shock during lights off.

"When the seedling is first planted under the dirt I should have the cobs 30-36'' from the top of the pot?"

Yes.
Technically you don't need light until seedling breaks ground but I recommend using them anyway, in order to dial in temps, if need be.
There is no need to adjust lights until the plants show signs of need, for a tweak.
For instance, if your seedling starts growing tall and lanky, you may consider dropping lights or raising pots.
You will be better off with lights being too far away than too close.
Seedlings do not need much light, you can fire up (2) AutoCobs for now, which will help keep your heat down; I recall your spot to be quite warm.

"Please provide on / off times for the 3 growth phases."

This question is a growers decision. It has nothing to do with light source.

You want at least 18hrs on, 6hrs off, 18/6.

The most popular autoflower light schedules are 18/6, 20/4, 24/0.

Me personally, I prefer 18/6 in the warmer months, increasing on times gradually, daily half hour increments, for colder days to come, where I will finally settle on 24/0 for winter.

Light cycle for autos do not NEED to change throughout the grow, I do, merely to keep environment stable.
This is something you will get a feel for.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info GPC! Exactly what I wanted to know!

I’ve actually been tearing my hair out trying to find this info on AFN but my searches return hundreds of results and I get lost in random threads LOLOL.

Have a great night! Hope all is well in the tent.

Congrats DG! Your lighting and meters just got a great upgrade! Nothing I see stopping you from growing out that monster GG now! By the way, the smoke just gets better and better as it cures! Amazing herb! You are in for a big treat! She will love the cob lighting during flowering, and the buds will stack densely as a result. Nice job!

Last edited:
Congrats DG! Your lighting and meters just got a great upgrade! Nothing I see topping you from growing out that monster GG now! By the way, the smoke just gets better and better as it cures! Amazing herb! You are in for a big treat! She will love the cob lighting during flowering, and the buds will stack densely as a result. Nice job!
Thanks for the encouragement PSF!

Cobs!!!! Yay!!!View attachment 970710

So earlier today I notice my NL girls are starting in with the brown/orange spots again. Long long story short ... the pH pen is all of a sudden off by a whole point. And my Ppm pen is all funny ... 1000 now, no, 675. Hmmm. Good god. It would be nice to know. Broke down (as you all said I would) and ordered the Bluelab growers toolbox. I’ll keep the cheap ones as backup and hope I never have to use them.

This is going to be the most expensive weed I ever smoked. I regret nothing.

The investment in good lights and tools will prove to be cheaper in the long run. Take it from maybe the cheapest AFN member - me. The meters will last for a couple of years if cared for properly and the cobs will burn for 50,000 hours or 7.5 years at 18 hours a day 365 days a year. That is about 30 grows! I run my cobs at 26" to 32" above the canopy and I run autos 18/6. That has proven to be the best grams per watts used light cycle IMPE.

The investment in good lights and tools will prove to be cheaper in the long run. Take it from maybe the cheapest AFN member - me. The meters will last for a couple of years if cared for properly and the cobs will burn for 50,000 hours or 7.5 years at 18 hours a day 365 days a year. That is about 30 grows! I run my cobs at 26" to 32" above the canopy and I run autos 18/6. That has proven to be the best grams per watts used light cycle IMPE.
It took me a while to come around to the conclusion that ph meters are not the place to try to save money. It’s all good.

Thanks for the info!

It took me a while to come around to the conclusion that ph meters are not the place to try to save money. It’s all good.

Thanks for the info!
I am sure you have heard of the "school of hard knocks" I went to the University :haha:.

@Pigskinfantasy The tent is looking OK. Today is the third day of the 12/12 light cycle.

GG looks beautiful. Still drinking up a ton. My NL babies seem to be going through the same thing GG had ... random brown spots. I’m kind of mystified. Nutes are relatively low, pH has been good, full strength calmag in the water. Still struggling with humidity though. I read an article that basically said if you don’t keep your humidity up your plants don’t transpire through the leaves adequately which causes them to take up too much water and nutrient from the bucket/the excess nitrogen locks out cal or mag or both. I had been running the humidifier but it only held a gallon of water, so my humidity levels were going from 30 to 75 and right back down. I installed the new humidifer yesterday and set it at 60%, I am really hoping it makes the difference. Kind of shooting in the dark here. It’s the same as what happened to GG but she doesn’t have it anymore. The NLs are growing fast, I topped them the other day.

My Bluelab kit came in and I’m going to sit and read the manual and see what there is to see. Still no tent ... hope it comes soon because the cobs are itching to get installed!

Last edited:
I haven’t got my order from Seedsman yet. I’m going to wait on what’s going next until after harvest. Once I have this first grow behind me I can reflect on what lessons I learned, what I want to do differently, and what characteristics I’d like to have on my next grow. I’ll have plenty to choose from.

Seedsman is SLOW!

I haven’t got my order from Seedsman yet. I’m going to wait on what’s going next until after harvest. Once I have this first grow behind me I can reflect on what lessons I learned, what I want to do differently, and what characteristics I’d like to have on my next grow. I’ll have plenty to choose from.

Seedsman is SLOW!

You are showing great patience, DG! It will pay off for sure.

Back