New Grower FIRST GROW - Afghan Kush Ryder and Northern Lights Automatic

(almost) 13 WEEKS IN

I would never have believed these autoflowering strains could take so long. It feels as though they're only half as fast compared to everyone else's plants. On the plus side they've had time to grow pretty big.

As I have no experience I cannot tell how long each plant has left. I've done some searching but the circumstances are very different to anything out there seeing as the whole grow has been pretty slow. There are some nasty rains headed our way in a few weeks' time so I don't know if I'll be forced to harvest early. It seems time isn't on my side on this one.

The girls were given a lucas formula feeding today. As it turns out, the pH drop test is easily confused. At first it would show an orange color for a pH of ~5.5. I would then wait for a few minutes and find the greenish color indicating ~6.5. After shrugging and thinking the pH might be suitable after all, I would come back from the woods to find out that the liquid is orange once again.

I really should invest in a proper pH pen. :dunno:

Oh well, here are some pics

8NM12IO.jpg

XXyAfYi.jpg

oNWc0nx.jpg

Well, you may have fallen victim to the hyperbolic claims of some of the breeders....but is "only half as fast..." really that bad? :)

I think it's also the case that Outdoor grows get considerably less light than indoor grows as a result of this giant sphere we live on spinning so incessantly...;)
and random weather patterns.

You are just running into a few realities/variables that are based on outdoor growing not on photo vs. auto.

One thing I noticed about buffering the pH of feed solutions....water with low mineral content isn't going to "hold" a steady buffer like water with lots
of minerals in it.....that's why I switched from triple filtered RO water to tap water oxygenated for 24hours to de-chlorinate.

Just my 2 cents.

I think the plants look great, even the one that hasn't filled out completely looks incredibly frosty!

Last edited:
Well, you may have fallen victim to the hyperbolic claims of some of the breeders....but is "only half as fast..." really that bad? :)

I think it's also the case that Outdoor grows get considerably less light than indoor grows as a result of this giant sphere we live on spinning so incessantly...;)
and random weather patterns.

You are just running into a few realities/variables that are based on outdoor growing not on photo vs. auto.

One thing I noticed about buffering the pH of feed solutions....water with low mineral content isn't going to "hold" a steady buffer like water with lots
of minerals in it.....that's why I switched from triple filtered RO water to tap water oxygenated for 24hours to de-chlorinate.

Just my 2 cents.

I think the plants look great, even the one that hasn't filled out completely looks incredibly frosty!

Hmm.. You're probably right. It's just that I always fear the worst and the further I make it the worse my paranoia becomes. :p

Anyway, I've pretty much got only 5 weeks before I'm going on a road trip for 2 weeks. I can't have them growing or drying then. Even if they were curing I'd have to take the jars with me to burp them and while that would not really be a huge risk it feels like a very bad idea.

Bad timing, I know, but I was certain the plants would easily be done before September.

Can you not enlist someone to handle some "wrapping up" tasks like burping or drying?

Because 5 weeks is a pretty good stretch of time...you may very well be finishing up by then, heck you may be done with the dry by that time...
It may just take someone burping for you...

I have a couple autos that look similar. Sometimes the suckers just lank out, or dont yield at all, and sometimes they have rock nugs. Outdoors I have had better results running 12/12 from seed in a 3 gal smart pot, which is just silly to me. The only good thing I have personally gotten from putting them outdoors is the last 2.5 weeks or so to get the buds to fluff out a bit for you. I had great luck on a Samsara adrenaline shot doing that.

Can you not enlist someone to handle some "wrapping up" tasks like burping or drying?

Because 5 weeks is a pretty good stretch of time...you may very well be finishing up by then, heck you may be done with the dry by that time...
It may just take someone burping for you...

Well, the only person whom I've trusted to help me so far is coming along for the trip. It won't be easy to persuade any of my other friends to take part in this mainly because of the legal issues, but I guess that might be my only option.

I'm sure I'll figure something out... If fungus doesn't get to my crop first. :thumbs:

I have a couple autos that look similar. Sometimes the suckers just lank out, or dont yield at all, and sometimes they have rock nugs. Outdoors I have had better results running 12/12 from seed in a 3 gal smart pot, which is just silly to me. The only good thing I have personally gotten from putting them outdoors is the last 2.5 weeks or so to get the buds to fluff out a bit for you. I had great luck on a Samsara adrenaline shot doing that.

Well then, I'll just have to have my fingers crossed. Oh, how I wish I could grow indoors as well. :grin:

The big advantage I have seen for indoors is speed, bit isn't that what we are all into autos for? Also, do you have access to get the product "Budswel" by the Guano Company? Soma the seed breeder recommends it. If you put some every watering or amend it into the dirt ASAP it should really get all you can out of your yield. Hate to promote a product, but 2 days after the first application I was completely sold.

The big advantage I have seen for indoors is speed, bit isn't that what we are all into autos for? Also, do you have access to get the product "Budswel" by the Guano Company? Soma the seed breeder recommends it. If you put some every watering or amend it into the dirt ASAP it should really get all you can out of your yield. Hate to promote a product, but 2 days after the first application I was completely sold.

Hmm... No Budswel around here and even normal guano products are all pretty much sold out. I'll add this to my list of things to look for while preparing for next summer's grow. Thanks for the heads up!

Glad I could help. I have to give credit to the seed breeder Soma and his book "Organic Marijuana, Soma Style". I loved it so much I bought it. To me, not being insanely organic defeats the point of growing it myself. The only thing I dam not sure about with is his way to feminized seeds. But, it is a really quick and easy read. If you are really into growing, I say it is a must-read.

Back