New Grower FIRST GROW - Afghan Kush Ryder and Northern Lights Automatic

Watchin this one. I have an Afghan kush rider just waiting to break surface. She'll in coco outside. They look delightful.

I'm glad your afghan bounced back. They perform great in the heat or extreme cold.

Look at my Afghan Kush Ryder, grown between 60-70 degrees F the whole cycle.

2rm1hck.png

Hey man they are really fattening up and looking great! Are you growing those on private land or public? I'm a deer hunter and people are starting to talk about this fall season here already. I'm just warning you that deer hunters are fricking crazy and will trespass and do whatever to find hunting spots that nobody else has. Many grows are busted by hunters who stumble across them, and those are very visible plants you have out there! We also love to use trail cameras and catch a lot of people trespassing and stuff. Just be careful man, I'm worried about ya! You can buy animal repellants to keep critters away, I would get rid of the fence and hide them better. I'd hate to see anyone get caught growing.. good luck my man!

I'm glad your afghan bounced back. They perform great in the heat or extreme cold.

Look at my Afghan Kush Ryder, grown between 60-70 degrees F the whole cycle.

She's beautiful! How old is she?

Hey man they are really fattening up and looking great! Are you growing those on private land or public? I'm a deer hunter and people are starting to talk about this fall season here already. I'm just warning you that deer hunters are fricking crazy and will trespass and do whatever to find hunting spots that nobody else has. Many grows are busted by hunters who stumble across them, and those are very visible plants you have out there! We also love to use trail cameras and catch a lot of people trespassing and stuff. Just be careful man, I'm worried about ya! You can buy animal repellants to keep critters away, I would get rid of the fence and hide them better. I'd hate to see anyone get caught growing.. good luck my man!

It's someone else's land. Seeing as there really isn't a whole lot of animal activity I guess the fence could be ditched. Then again I'm worried about mold later on and I thought I could easily make a roof using the fence. There's a whole lot of ferns around the spot, which makes it really hard to spot unless you're either looking for it or very close to it.

Thankfully hunting doesn't really start until very late in September here.

10 weeks in

Time is running out. I don't know if they'll be ready in time. Cold weathers and excessive humidity (mold) as well as hunters and gatherers roaming the woods will all be a problem soon.
Aside from a few odd showers of rain here and there, the weather should be constantly warm (~75 F days, ~55 F nights) and sunny for at least the next two weeks. That will mean good progress.

I gave the girls some nutrient concentrate today. I didn't want to impact the wet/dry cycle of the soil that much so I'm counting on the rain to deliver the nutrients tomorrow. It might sound dumb but apparently it has worked so far and even ensured correct pH.

The Afghan Kush Ryder had continued her vertical growth. I measured her at 52 centimeters or 20,5 inches.

1SmCvuT.jpg

The Northern Lights has also grown a considerable amount, which just adds to my worries regarding time. She measured in at 94 centimeters (37 inches).

Mc41zJw.jpg

Needless to say I made the switch to bloom nutes. However, I think it won't make a real difference. Harvest is still going to push the limits of my time and space. Chopping early isn't an option either.
Whatever happens I will do everything in my power to see these girls hanging. (Whoa, that sounds wrong...)

On a side note, there seems to be zero risk of mold in my in my cabinet where I've planned for the drying to take place thanks to my Airfree. At first I didn't believe it really helps with mold so I did a test of my own to find out.

Gu7leAi.jpg

The strawberries were handled identically until I took the one on the right into my room. Pretty convenient, huh?

Oh, and here's a picture of the rust spots. I can't tell if they're fungus or not...

qIvCpb8.jpg

How's my day been you ask? Well, one of my cannabis plants is getting way too big for my drying cabinet and the other one is a furry stick.
I'm doing GREAT! :grin:

I figured the girls needed some feeding since AKR is still on the way to full recovery and NL is turning pale like it's going out of fashion. I know the feed was an overkill but since there is rain coming and they honestly can't burn that much from it I went ahead and gave them a feast they won't forget.

I filled two 1,5l bottles with tap water (pH ~7). I then added 7 ml of micro (4-0-2), 2 ml of grow (2-1-7) and 5 ml of bloom (0-5-4) in each bottle. I also added 1 tbsp epsom salt and 1/2 tbsp molasses to both of the bottles.

The pH was problematic after that. Around 4.5. I couldn't give that to the girls now, could I? I didn't have any pH up and I was fresh out of baking soda. Time to think out of the box.

I found a fireplace that was only used to burn wood and gathered some ash. As it turns out, ash is a wonderfully powerful pH up. I managed to go all the way up to 7 with little effort. I don't know whether it'll be stable but I decided to take my chances. It contains the same stuff as lime so it can't be all bad.

I also prepared a strong neem spray with 4 ml of neem oil, 2.5 dl of tap water and a few drops of the most potent detergent I could find. My goal is to make the plants less habitable to fungi by spraying them with neem.

Upon arrival to the Wienerwoods I saw quite a lot of progress. The girls had fattened up in all the right places. Also, the AKR has grown 6 cm since Monday and the NL has grown 4. All these pictures have been taken moments after spraying them thoroughly with neem, hence the confused appearance.

Afghan Kush Ryder < > Northern Lights Automatic

tOhgHV1.jpg

I might also have a problem. The lowermost leaves on both plants are withering away at what I as an inexperienced grower would call an alarming pace. Is this normal?

5amQotY.jpg

Looks like ya gots a nice wee set up outside there buddy.They look pretty good to me.The small rust spots and lower leaves yellowing and dying off are often not a big deal.worth keeping an eye on ofcourse,but naah yer doing great man.is your Soil PH good?rust can get away from you if your not careful...but a cpl small spots n lower yellowing is pretty normal.if it starts walking up to further leaves Let us know bro.no worries."AFN smoke out"

Looks like ya gots a nice wee set up outside there buddy.They look pretty good to me.The small rust spots and lower leaves yellowing and dying off are often not a big deal.worth keeping an eye on ofcourse,but naah yer doing great man.is your Soil PH good?rust can get away from you if your not careful...but a cpl small spots n lower yellowing is pretty normal.if it starts walking up to further leaves Let us know bro.no worries."AFN smoke out"

Well, the rust spots have been around for weeks. They seem quite tame in nature, though they don't heal and only get worse. If however they are a fungus, the neem oil will hopefully suffocate and eradicate it.

I don't know what my soil pH is other than that it's too low. I once measured my run off at ~4-5 but I pretty much disregarded the results because they sounded ridiculous given that the original watering pH was 7. They've done alright despite the acidic soil (rain water helps since its pH is optimal) but I will be trying to buffer the pH up with the use ash in future waterings.

Well I don't know anything about the soil issue....however those plants appear pretty good. I don't sweat the small older leaves like that. Good to watch an take note. Coukd be a sign they are getting hungry. Watch for that too.

Wiener.....don't know where you are but I'm in the midwest US and I've just started AKR bean. Should break the soil any day now. I'm growing outdoors in the soil(amended with FFHF). By my calculations, I should harvest around the first week of October; just in time to cut it before the combines go to work. I think you have plenty of time to let it fatten up. Also, I've been using "Liquid Fence" as a deer/rabbit deterrent and thus far, it's worked like a champ. I know there is a deer in my grow area as I regularly see it's big splayed hoof prints around the perimeter of the woods. So far, no problems. Good luck to you!

Powderfinger

Back