First ever grow. Promix HP THC bomb auto 600w hps.

OK that's good to know there is solutions here that arent crazy lol cuz I figured at worst I'd just harvest but I like your idea better If I can't have hps running within couple hours tops. The worst that will come off this is me upgrading lights lol I'd I have to I guess I'd run them to my brothers and put them under his lights for a week to finish. So disappointing either way

Reactions: A4
How about my 600 mh? My ballast and bulb blew so I barrowed a ballast and all I have is this mh to run for the next five days. Wanted a 14 day dish but I'm only doing ten then taking it all down and buying a new light set up... hps or led....hmm 4'x4' tent I'll b upgrading to as well I think

Well, I am just getting caught up, been in school all day and my mind is shot. So was the light just coming on? HPS doesn't begin producing the yellow/orange hue until the the sodium begins to vaporize. Because sodium takes longer to vaporize than xenon, the bulb burns white until the temperature is high enough. You are damn lucky your bulb didn't blow. Considering the average HPS internal temperature is around 500 degrees and the sodium vapor is highly combustible you could have very well been on your way to the hospital with 3rd degree burns. I may sound like an asshole right now but you have to stop and think about shit before you do it. You have kids that need you.

As for the upgrade, don't bite off more than you need. I have a 10x10 room with one 1000W and a couple of small tents for veg and clones. That will put out a kilo of dried product every 60 days if I am pushing it. With everything running wide open, 1 1000W, 1 600W and 1 T5 432W, an AC unit and a dehumidifier it costs me about an extra $150-200 a month in electricity, depending on how much my AC is running in the flowering room. In the middle of Summer it runs non stop and that pushes it up to 200. In the Winter I can open my doors and bring in cold air and it is around $150.

The only point I am trying to make is, don't go overboard right off the bat. It is a great hobby but if you invest a lot of money and get behind the eight ball and things aren't working out just the way you planned, you will get frustrated that you bit off so much. Take it in increments. A large tent is great, you have room to expand for future grows but 2 1000W lights is overkill. A 1000W, if used properly, will put out enough dank bud in three months that you won't have to grow for a year.

Thanks for the kind words and for stopping through @slopoke and @Ryder420 all was well till my ballast just blew because I'm an idiot :( went into my grow area and noticed my bulb was white light instead of yellow so like an idiot I tried to in plug the light from the ballast because it was easier to reach, there was a spark and a loud pop and my ballast shut down. Hps seems to b OK I hope. Friends bringing a ballast over shortly and I'd that fails I'll b buying an emergency light from my other friend. Shaking my head at myself. Before I blew it though, why did my light change colors and was like white/blue instead of normal yellowish? @A4 @Heavily Medicated @Renaissance Redneck could anyone point me in the right direction? Sorry to tag you all but I don't know what's going and kinda upset. Hope I don't have to chop all three tonight, they wernt set for chop till next Wednesday 9 days away

Hi Pete, what an outstanding first ever grow, my hat is off to you....I know next to nothing about ballasts and HID lights, was always an outdoor grower till the last few years and have used LED lights exclusively

Reactions: A4
@A4 I talked it over with the wife and with everything going on we decided to stick with what we got for now as I still got a huge yield with this setup lol I need to five tune some things though. And I don't know what I was thinking with the light. It was white and I thought what's going on here. It was in the middle of lights on. Been on for 8 hours and I noticed it was white but it was proper color couple hours before. So I thought I would unplug the power cord leading from the light system out of the tent and unplug it from the short cord connected directly to the ballast. The ballast popped like a firecracker and shut off fan and all including light. Plugged in new ballast and light turned on. Stayed white for a second then dissipated to nothing. Off. So I waited a second. Took it out. Pulled out my metal halide not touching it with my fingers and plugged that in for now till I get a bulb. Damn ballast should have an on off switch. I will definitely b being more careful though. I didn't realize how hot they got either I guess. Did bring me back to earth though and make me focus on what I have going and the direction I need to go with it. Sorry for the scare @A4

@slopoke thanks for stopping by my friends. Things have went extremely well this grow and I how to b able to improve on things still yet. Lots to learn obviously.

DiscretePete, you germed the beans directly in the Promix yes? How'd that go, this is my first grow using it.. although I ended up with the HP-CC. Just some chunk coco coir added in.

Germ went great my friend!
DiscretePete, you germed the beans directly in the Promix yes? How'd that go, this is my first grow using it.. although I ended up with the HP-CC. Just some chunk coco coir added in.
I prepared my medium with 1/4 strength clonex from ionics. Making sure the promix was nice and moist with it all the way through. I then placed the prepared pots into my tent with the light on for 24 hours to get the medium up to the environment temp. After 24 hours I sowed my beans directly in about a knuckle down, covered and VERY lightly pressed the area. I repeat very lightly. I then coveted the pots with saran wrap to hold in humidity like the domes and waited to pull it off till they shed their helmet. I also gave a spray or two of straight ro water in there everyday and all 4 beans popped within like 60 hours. I won't ever b doing it any other way. Very easy and no stress to the plants. Also when u put the saran wrap on tight, if you gently press it in the center, condensation will gather there and very very slowly drop to where your beans are keeping things moist. Don't know if it helps or not but seemed logical lol hope this helps my friend and good luck. Never worked with coco myself

Hey Discretepete sorry to hear about the close call, just remember it's only a light and not a life :poof:. Remember to never disconnect your light and ballast only the wall plug that goes to ballast when power is on if you don't have a switch or via your timer.
Your MH will finish it off no problems, before I had my HPS I only had the MH and finished with nice results during my Photo days

Back