Grow Mediums f6 does what f6 does ;)

Anyhoo, I think this light is causing a bit of excess stretch!

It's 860w Phillips all start CDM (CMH) on an old 1000w Magnetic MH ballast. Draw at the plug should be approx 900w and running 18/6 currently 800mm from canopy.

cb807a8fdabc4f02be0aa4a3007cfb16.png

Jacketed globe, vertical only!

ogh.png

hood2.png

Hence Growlight OG hood, it's a big dog and I've had to go to a 2.4m high tent!
Using a 8" pull thru fan.

images-1.jpg

Knipsel_zps2c421572.jpg

Spectrum comparison against 1000w HPS (top) 860w CDM (bottom)

Some nice reports on this globe, others saying it's more for warehouses so we will see if I get a decent finish. It's definitely intense and may mean different stratergies to keep the girls in check. Lots of stretch going on I need to understand more.

Also @Olde School Player and @MedCzech @Waira there might be something in light intenisty, stretch and even staggered nodes, the split stem etc! Each of these Portal girls have a mix of node spacing which is odd..

See what happens lol

f6

Hi mate , just been looking through your thread your ladies are looking great , I see you did some defoliation and was wondering how you did it I'm at day 37 of my grow and she's a real bushy girl would it be safe to defoliate now and how much can I remove at a time ? Good luck with the rest of your grow :thumbsup:

Anyhoo, I think this light is causing a bit of excess stretch!

It's 860w Phillips all start CDM (CMH) on an old 1000w Magnetic MH ballast. Draw at the plug should be approx 900w and running 18/6 currently 800mm from canopy.

View attachment 940511
Jacketed globe, vertical only!

View attachment 940515
View attachment 940514
Hence Growlight OG hood, it's a big dog and I've had to go to a 2.4m high tent!
Using a 8" pull thru fan.

View attachment 940512
View attachment 940513
Spectrum comparison against 1000w HPS (top) 860w CDM (bottom)

Some nice reports on this globe, others saying it's more for warehouses so we will see if I get a decent finish. It's definitely intense and may mean different stratergies to keep the girls in check. Lots of stretch going on I need to understand more.

Also @Olde School Player and @MedCzech @Waira there might be something in light intenisty, stretch and even staggered nodes, the split stem etc! Each of these Portal girls have a mix of node spacing which is odd..

See what happens lol

f6

From my own experience, the spectrum on the CMH you have is very high in deep and far reds, and too much of those during veg will make the plants stretch. You would have to supplement the grow with a cooler blue light and back off that big CMH a bit early on so they don't stretch as much. Have you ever measured ppfd or par at the canopy?
I am sure the OldSchool can give you more on intensity and stretch than me. Like I said, deep reds and far reds introduced at high levels during veg will definitely cause more stretch. From both what I have read, and my personal experiences.

Hi mate , just been looking through your thread your ladies are looking great , I see you did some defoliation and was wondering how you did it I'm at day 37 of my grow and she's a real bushy girl would it be safe to defoliate now and how much can I remove at a time ? Good luck with the rest of your grow :thumbsup:

Hi mate, thanks for stopping by!

I'm not the greatest trimmer or trainer, when I grew photos I'd just be brutal with them, autos because they may stunt and run out of time I try and take it easy on them however they are very vigorous and robust these days.

I like to do from the bottom up, often taking out the first branches as they can be weaker and crowded out by the second branches that tend to be more fully formed.

I'll take from those second branches the first set of nodes on them as they will never fully mature so the internal structure gets penitrave light and use pipe cleaners to get a good spread.

It's probably my weakest point when it comes to growing, I have grown dozens of plants with just basic (and ham fisted) training.

This light and I suspect a few elements and my nutes are causing me some anxiety with stretch this grow.

I use Optic Foliar in veg which is a very good product, I don't use after around day 24 as it really gets them running away, also fish tank water is full of N up until the same time, seems to give them vigiour. The other thing is suspect it Floralichious which is 30% plant hormone..

Anhoo, scoping out why they are running away on me!

f6

Last edited:
From my own experience, the spectrum on the CMH you have is very high in deep and far reds, and too much of those during veg will make the plants stretch. You would have to supplement the grow with a cooler blue light and back off that big CMH a bit early on so they don't stretch as much. Have you ever measured ppfd or par at the canopy?
I am sure the OldSchool can give you more on intensity and stretch than me. Like I said, deep reds and far reds introduced at high levels during veg will definitely cause more stretch. From both what I have read, and my personal experiences.

Thanks for the response!

Hmm, food for thought, they we're very well stacked but kind of lost structure and blew out I guess so what your saying makes sense. It's probably not as dire as I'm making out but yeah, unexpected! Hopefully they kick into bloom proper and stack it on for a solid finish!

I have a meter on my phone but it tops out!

The hood is parabolic so might even intenisfy?

Thanks mang :baked:

f6

Back