DIY Dream Farm Report v3 LAG grow journal

The digging of the vent trenches has begun! Oh and I am goin to be able to fit 72 plants at least. I don’t know why I thought I could only fit 5 pots across the 8 ft wide space. I can easily put 6 rows of 12 pots.
C53E7F4A-698B-48EF-8C8F-FF006BA4762A.jpeg

So is this venting for an attempt taking in cooler air by using the grounds cooler temps?
You got it! The air is gonna have to travel through 45 ft of pipe that is surrounded by 50 degree dirt before it gets to the LAG. the logic says it will work, now to what degree and how well? That is the 10,000 dollar question. It has to work better than my vent holes sucking in hot air off the 100 degree ground

You got it! The air is gonna have to travel through 45 ft of pipe that is surrounded by 50 degree dirt before it gets to the LAG. the logic says it will work, now to what degree and how well? That is the 10,000 dollar question. It has to work better than my vent holes sucking in hot air off the 100 degree ground
It would be better than before for sure. If you use plain pvc, I don't know how much heat transfer will occur from the soil and eventually to the intake air. It will be better than nothing. Metal would be better and corrugated even better. Metal for much better heat transfer and corrugated for more surface contact and no laminar flow........good turbulence for no stagnant air layer for better heat transfer. Kinda like a tin horn culvert. No idea if anyone makes stuff small enough 10-8 in diameter and you'd have figure out elbows.
I have seen some flexible tubing/piping that would work well, being thinner and small corrugation that would break up the laminar flow.. I don't know if you can get it in the size you would need.

Just throwing stuff out there. Maybe it will stimulate some ideas.

My crazy ass would have a heat pump system, with a huge tank buried and a nice grid of piping to "feed" the big tank and have a chilled water system and take intake air running thu the heat exchanger. :cools: :biggrin:

It would be better than before for sure. If you use plain pvc, I don't know how much heat transfer will occur from the soil and eventually to the intake air. It will be better than nothing. Metal would be better and corrugated even better. Metal for much better heat transfer and corrugated for more surface contact and no laminar flow........good turbulence for no stagnant air layer for better heat transfer. Kinda like a tin horn culvert. No idea if anyone makes stuff small enough 10-8 in diameter and you'd have figure out elbows.
I have seen some flexible tubing/piping that would work well, being thinner and small corrugation that would break up the laminar flow.. I don't know if you can get it in the size you would need.

Just throwing stuff out there. Maybe it will stimulate some ideas.

My crazy ass would have a heat pump system, with a huge tank buried and a nice grid of piping to "feed" the big tank and have a chilled water system and take intake air running thu the heat exchanger. :cools: :biggrin:
I’m using my thin walled dwv pipe and it schedule 40. My thought is that the dirt is cold, so that’ll make the pipe cold eventually. I def get what you are saying about the corrugated vs the smooth. However the corrugated stuff is not easy to get here and pretty expensive. Also anything that is soft or flexible I would have to build some kind of housing to keep the dirt from crushing it

Have you looked into the materials that geothermal uses for heat transfer?
I have not, but at this point it’s got to go in the ground. I am runnin up on my drop beans date. So it’ll have to work lol like I said I don’t think it could possibly be any worse than what I had before

I know of solar homes that use this metheod for cooling. Inteested to see how yours works!

Going to be doin some cool stuff for my ventilation. Basically I am gonna bury some 4” dwv pipe as deep as I can get it and bring up some “risers” of 4” pipe as vents in the floor of my LAG. it’s going to run underground outside to the shaded side of the greenhouse.

Oh I don’t know if I’ve mentioned. The south wall on this one is gonna be solid. It just makes everything easier, like giving me a place to put my vent pipe for my vent system. and I dont need it for light.

In theory the vent system I think should work. Well I know it will work but how effective it will be?
we will see

From what I remember, the longer the underground run the better. I was going to do 100 ft for my home.

From what I remember, the longer the underground run the better. I was going to do 100 ft for my home.
All I know is digging SUCKSSSSS but we got down to almost 3’ depth and it’s about 45 ft currently. If I want to I can always extend it because I can just run the air intake vent stack longer. I’m praying I don’t Have to lol
1A7EF741-80EB-496D-B3EC-BF43A28DCB25.jpeg
65D9CF0D-0B0B-450E-8AEB-0676E42BF12C.jpeg
F7C784AB-139E-41BC-9C2F-58A79C10BBFA.jpeg

Last edited:
Back