Figured today was a good day to feed my hot wing addiction :headbang:View attachment 1466584
Remember when Chicken Wings were a waste cut? I can remember paying $0.23 per pound or a 5# bag for $1. :crying: Whole chicken was around $0.40 then. Yes I am old but no one wanted chicken wings. Then some guy in a bar served Buffalo wings and the rest is history.

See previous post: I rest my case.

I can remember what seemed not too long ago they were 99 cents then they moved to $1.99. Now they are out of control, can't bring myself to buy them anymore feel like they are screwing me. When I was a teen my mom was always making country ribs because they were a $.25 a pound Lamb breast $.14. Tongue and oxtails are way up there now as well. It is just crazy. You can't tell me there is that much demand for tongue.

We buy our meats from a local butcher that gets their chicken and pork from the Amish in Lancaster. Even the Amish can't keep up with demand. Butcher has fresh wings maybe twice a week now at best and are selling fancy prepackaged wings the other days for like $5/lb

I remember when chicken wings were cheap…the good ole days. I scored those 10# bags of fresh leg/thigh quarters a few years ago for $1.99 a bag. I got three. Thirty pounds of fresh chicken for under six bucks?? Oh fuck yeah. That was a once in a lifetime score. Can you believe there were actually people picking em up…and puttin em back down??? After seeing it happen twice, I told the 3rd lady that these are 1970s prices. I would have grabbed all 6, but this was before I had my little chest freezer. Never again will I miss a sale like that…if I ever see anything like that again.

On a different note, I’m ANXIOUSLY awaiting my Kong to get delivered. Betwixt the crazy sale Grilla has going, and the trucking company short on drivers, it hasn’t arrived. I’m sure you guys know that though, I will definitely be uploading pics to the foodie fam. I got a 4 probe wireless thermometer coming too, the last thing I need is the Grill Grates. I cant wait. Kamado fever is real.

I thought that looked like a PBC with the hooks. Have you ever had anything fall off the hooks? Seems scary. I have heard great things about the Pit Barrel though, so it can’t be that bad.

Food looks great guys!! I want a piece of that blue cherry pie. OMG. Goose fat lovin.

thought that looked like a PBC with the hooks. Have you ever had anything fall off the hooks? Seems scary. I have heard great things about the Pit Barrel though, so it can’t be that bad.
In the five years I’ve had my pbc I’ve had one rack of baby backs fall off, but it was mostly my fault. It was dark, was the end of the cook and the edge of the ribs caught the rebar and ripped the hook out as I was taking them out of the cooker. I just picked em up and wiped off the ash residue and everything was fine. The pbc is a great cooker for some things, mediocre for others. For example, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better cooker for chicken, prime rib roasts, whole tenderloins, turkeys, etc. Its just so so for ribs, pork shoulder, and other low and slow items. I did one pastrami on it and that came out great. The pbc is a hot/fast cooker….it’s not really designed to run temps much cooler than about 275….generally she runs close to 300.

In other news, I just ordered a grilla Primate:headbang::headbang:

I’ve had this Cuisinart 5 burner grill since last year sitting in the box when I got it on clearance for just over $100. The kids finally put it together for me. Heated it up to burn off the factory residue, seasoned up the cast iron grill grates. Then the next day was it’s maiden voyage for Italian dressing marinaded chicken breast. I even liked the glass window so I could see it cooking without opening. This held temps better then my other without the hotspot flare up my other was always having. My daughter made red beans and rice, along with some corn on the cob.
CCA132F7-35E4-4961-8406-DC77C07BEE6E.jpeg
D037BEB5-0022-49FB-BCD5-D71FEA79170F.jpeg
2A039FD7-F9E9-4D17-837E-11542B289689.jpeg
7F1F2F46-AC2B-4022-BF11-F953823113CE.jpeg
EC2B0DE4-8B21-47D3-AF53-4F397E36D4BC.jpeg
CAD7A4F3-CF2B-487B-BA68-DD4E5403C9F4.jpeg
787F76B2-753E-4063-905C-658748ECF2C4.jpeg
102A9325-46FA-45B1-9E97-03F4737A4837.jpeg
121CDDA2-8F7B-4B3A-8D62-54AC9AB11259.jpeg
0C364C71-F0FB-40C4-A217-1B0936E97083.jpeg

Agree with @Frank the Dank here. Mostly. I've had multiple racks of ribs fall in the fire :crying: I double hook em now. But it's not great for ribs. Almost worth it just for how well it cooks chickens. Mine also runs by itself around 275-305* , any lower and I have to constantly check the temp and mess with the lid. I think it makes fantastic food for the time and effort, other then ribs or brisket. Forget about it for grilling. But mine is many years old and it'll never need fixing or parts. It also fits a ton of food for the size and charcoal. I'll usually cook a shoulder, 4 racks of ribs and 2 whole chickens on it for 4th of July on less then a half a bag of Kingsford with some wood without really having to mess with it other then just rotating the charcoal basket

Wife finally got around to getting the pre packaged corn beef ready. We stocked up when they were clearing out St Paddy’s day corn beef for $1.25 a lb. Rinsed them off and sliced some of the fat off, mustard rubbed to hold on the pastrami dry rub wife made. Now sitting in the Cuisinart Woodcreek pellet smoker at 225f till internal temp reaches 160 degrees. Then they will be vacuum sealed and sous vide for 48hrs till ready. Can be put into fridge to chill and slice later or just got at it. To bad I won’t be home when this is done.
C5F05959-250B-4E98-AA3F-192B52A40971.jpeg

I remember when chicken wings were cheap…the good ole days. I scored those 10# bags of fresh leg/thigh quarters a few years ago for $1.99 a bag. I got three. Thirty pounds of fresh chicken for under six bucks?? Oh fuck yeah. That was a once in a lifetime score. Can you believe there were actually people picking em up…and puttin em back down??? After seeing it happen twice, I told the 3rd lady that these are 1970s prices. I would have grabbed all 6, but this was before I had my little chest freezer. Never again will I miss a sale like that…if I ever see anything like that again.

On a different note, I’m ANXIOUSLY awaiting my Kong to get delivered. Betwixt the crazy sale Grilla has going, and the trucking company short on drivers, it hasn’t arrived. I’m sure you guys know that though, I will definitely be uploading pics to the foodie fam. I got a 4 probe wireless thermometer coming too, the last thing I need is the Grill Grates. I cant wait. Kamado fever is real.

I thought that looked like a PBC with the hooks. Have you ever had anything fall off the hooks? Seems scary. I have heard great things about the Pit Barrel though, so it can’t be that bad.

Food looks great guys!! I want a piece of that blue cherry pie. OMG. Goose fat lovin.
I ran into that few years ago 10lbs 2 bucks, I could not figure out how everyone didn't have one in their cart.

Back