Status
Not open for further replies.
That has to be the original version. Never heard it before. Sure ain't in Dolby but I love to hear the root of a song popular today. Especially one changed so much.

@budelee, I hope you sorted out your roof. I was in that business, new and reroofs. If you find any confusion in the fine prints feel free to ask for clarifications. If I can help, I will.
A little side note. If you have to do it all and ever looked at solar. Look at Teslas/Solar Cities new photo-voltaic tiles. No panels.
:pass:
Thanks bro!! This is the second re-roof in 5 yrs.. Solar would be nice..some free electric,yaaaaa..that'd be nice!!

yep, I have been waiting for good looking solar shingles since they first came out years ago. I think the Tesla's are the right set. I am going to need a new roof soon, the previous owner just threw a fresh set of shingles over the leaks and moss. I already developed one leak I catch in a rubbermaid in the attic.

Thanks bro!! This is the second re-roof in 5 yrs.. Solar would be nice..some free electric,yaaaaa..that'd be nice!!

Free?????:rofl: Not yet, but we can wish. Panel prices have dropped like a rock though. But, the power companies are making big headway in getting the price they have to pay home owners for their excess, slashed. So much for windfall profits for us common folk.

@1939bear What temp did you use to get all that oozing pressed resin in the pic you posted before the Magic interview?

yep, I have been waiting for good looking solar shingles since they first came out years ago. I think the Tesla's are the right set. I am going to need a new roof soon, the previous owner just threw a fresh set of shingles over the leaks and moss. I already developed one leak I catch in a rubbermaid in the attic.

They developed some in Oz years ago but they never caught on here. Priced out when they added shipping costs. No pun, but the future looks bright. We are going to see PV paint and windows soon . The whole house can be one big dynamo.

There's no problem with going over shingles once if done right. It still falls within manufacturers warranty. It is allowed by most building codes. Done right means no leaks. The moss should have been power washed off at least and any rotten wood replaced.

Last edited:
They developed some in Oz years ago but they never caught on here. Priced out when they added shipping costs. No pun, but the future looks bright. We are going to see PV paint and windows soon . The whole house can be one big dynamo.

There's no problem with going over shingles once if done right. It still falls within manufacturers warranty. It is allowed by most building codes. Done right means no leaks. The moss should have been power washed off at least and any rotten wood replaced.

It should have been. This is the story. Hail damage, insurance settlement, home owner took the money, tacked on new layer of shingles with no prep. He had already done the house, but I stopped him doing the garage, and made him remove the old (double layer) before continuing. The house roof is wooden, not plywood, which is cool. But a few boards are rotten here and there. I have nearly completely renovated this house otherwise. All new plumbing, electric, and heat/air, ducts, added laundry bump out, french drains, new basement piers, new kitchen floor joists sub floor, painted everything, and put knee walls and a floor in the attic. Almost all me too, the only things I didn't do were the duct and plumbing new installs.

My best buddy builds those with his kids, pretty cool stuff. I know electronics hardware quite well, software not so much. I struggle even with email these days, yet I am a whiz at photoshop..... But I can build a mighty fine gaming computer, I've made dozens of them. Never got interested in micro stuff though.

Don't suppose your buddy might be willing to share where he gets components? I'm having a bitch of a time finding them without RIDICULOUS markup, and/or garbage knockoff components. :p

Don't suppose your buddy might be willing to share where he gets components? I'm having a bitch of a time finding them without RIDICULOUS markup, and/or garbage knockoff components. :p

I'll ask, he's pretty thrifty like that.

It should have been. This is the story. Hail damage, insurance settlement, home owner took the money, tacked on new layer of shingles with no prep. He had already done the house, but I stopped him doing the garage, and made him remove the old (double layer) before continuing. The house roof is wooden, not plywood, which is cool. But a few boards are rotten here and there. I have nearly completely renovated this house otherwise. All new plumbing, electric, and heat/air, ducts, added laundry bump out, french drains, new basement piers, new kitchen floor joists sub floor, painted everything, and put knee walls and a floor in the attic. Almost all me too, the only things I didn't do were the duct and plumbing new installs.

Isn't it satisfying to stand back and look at a finished project?:thumbsup:
You were right to stop the guy. Three layers is against all codes here in the US.
If you hire a contractor, don't fall for the "We have to contract the rotten wood out." scam. A reliable roofer has a carpentry crew to handle it. Normally, they will calculate the first so many feet into the price and add on anything over that at a fixed square foot price. The original bid should be close and based on the actual inspection results. Not just an arbitrary number that they say that they normally throw in. There can be unseen surprises but it's the estimators job to be accurate.

Isn't it satisfying to stand back and look at a finished project?:thumbsup:
You were right to stop the guy. Three layers is against all codes here in the US.
If you hire a contractor, don't fall for the "We have to contract the rotten wood out." scam. A reliable roofer has a carpentry crew to handle it. Normally, they will calculate the first so many feet into the price and add on anything over that at a fixed square foot price. The original bid should be close and based on the actual inspection results. Not just an arbitrary number that they say that they normally throw in. There can be unseen surprises but it's the estimators job to be accurate.

very much satisfying, especially now that I'm not working on it 8 hours a day. I keep getting errors trying to post this morning.

Somethings up with the inter nets.

Free?????:rofl: Not yet, but we can wish. Panel prices have dropped like a rock though. But, the power companies are making big headway in getting the price they have to pay home owners for their excess, slashed. So much for windfall profits for us common folk.

@1939bear What temp did you use to get all that oozing pressed resin in the pic you posted before the Magic interview?
Not me , but i set mine at 260 and get good results . :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back