Status
Not open for further replies.
So much for grid-tied solar....
I designed, built, and used a grid free system for a home I lived in some years ago. The power company gave an estimate of $27,000 to $32,000 to run powerlines to my home. I told them what to do with them...... and installed solar. Cost me $16,000 in 1999 dollars, and no more electric bill!
Today, you could have three time the power I had, for a lot less than that!

Best day ever was when, about a year later, a meter reader came to the house while I was at work. My wife saw him in the yard, looking around and scratching his head. She asks: What do you think your doing? He says: I'm here to read the meter but can't find it. She says nothing, just points to the solar panels on the porch roof.......... He says ohhh and drives away.........

Free?????:rofl: Not yet, but we can wish. Panel prices have dropped like a rock though. But, the power companies are making big headway in getting the price they have to pay home owners for their excess, slashed. So much for windfall profits for us common folk.

@1939bear What temp did you use to get all that oozing pressed resin in the pic you posted before the Magic interview?
:pass:

17240001_1616122555070474_7028168730890515692_o.jpg

@green genes said:↑
My best buddy builds those with his kids, pretty cool stuff. I know electronics hardware quite well, software not so much. I struggle even with email these days, yet I am a whiz at photoshop..... But I can build a mighty fine gaming computer, I've made dozens of them. Never got interested in micro stuff though.

@Big_Cricket
Don't suppose your buddy might be willing to share where he gets components? I'm having a bitch of a time finding them without RIDICULOUS markup, and/or garbage knockoff components. :p

Any Amiga-philes among us besides me?

I designed, built, and used a grid free system for a home I lived in some years ago. The power company gave an estimate of $27,000 to $32,000 to run powerlines to my home. I told them what to do with them...... and installed solar. Cost me $16,000 in 1999 dollars, and no more electric bill!

Best day ever was when, about a year later, a meter reader came to the house while I was at work. My wife saw him in the yard, looking around and scratching his head. She asks: What do you think your doing? He says: I'm here to read the meter but can't find it. She says nothing, just points to the solar panels on the porch roof.......... He says ohhh and drives away.........

Don't you love when that happens. In the same vein, I used to love to pull up to a garage with my Chevy converted Jag. You could see the dollars signs fade from their eyes when I popped the hood and they saw the 305.

Always wanted to do that conversion! Had a friend that put a 400 small block with a Paxton supercharger in one...........

Don't you love when that happens. In the same vein, I used to love to pull up to a garage with my Chevy converted Jag. You could see the dollars signs fade from their eyes when I popped the hood and they saw the 305.

Always wanted to do that conversion! Had a friend that put a 400 small block with a Paxton supercharger in one...........

Good engine,
Once that texas company started producing the conversion mounts they took off. Lot of old Jag sedans cruising with Chevy' in the front and Nitrous in the trunk.
I looked at 02 Vandem Plas Friday with a street rod 350 in mind but it was a rust bucket and most of the bells and whistles didn't work. I passed.
Got a guy in S.Florida that builds a mean 350. You see a lot of his on the local drag strip. I dropped one into an 18' Bayliner bowrider. It was scarey.at top end. Which was the only way to time it because of the cam. Bring it to top end and dial in the distributor til it burbs, than nail it down. When it burped, it tried to spin out. That was a YEEHAW moment.
:pass: .​

Here be my new 350.
IMG_20170217_122252.jpg

@green genes said:↑
My best buddy builds those with his kids, pretty cool stuff. I know electronics hardware quite well, software not so much. I struggle even with email these days, yet I am a whiz at photoshop..... But I can build a mighty fine gaming computer, I've made dozens of them. Never got interested in micro stuff though.

@Big_Cricket
Don't suppose your buddy might be willing to share where he gets components? I'm having a bitch of a time finding them without RIDICULOUS markup, and/or garbage knockoff components. :p

Any Amiga-philes among us besides me?

Not really, I used one in the 80's ... My school had one before they got a macintosh room. We were3 still using a Digital VAX 780 mainframe with dumb terminals chromacolor text around the school at that time. I was lucky to go to that high school, they had programming classes and such starting around 1979 or so. I seem to remember the Amiga was the only one with color and rudimentary graphics other than the apple 2's. My programming class final was to make a choose your own adventure book application in Logo.

P1040091.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back