Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaman says............MAGIC is in the air.............Fri March 10 Midnight GMT.............
P1040090.JPG
pre-Interview party before the pumpkin turns

We get mostly greens and brown right now, but it may be time to add to our flock.
A couple of our hens haven't laid an egg for over a year.
They live a spoiled life of retirement now :biggrin:
It sounds like you could use a bit more of a blue injection LOL. Do you breed your own replacements? And for the table, or just eggs?

It sounds like you could use a bit more of a blue injection LOL. Do you breed your own replacements? And for the table, or just eggs?
We did hatch some of our own, but are minus a rooster right now.
I'm thinking about adding some meat chickens to the family this spring, I just have to force myself not to get too attached.
I'm a bit of a weenie, still cry when I have to cull a sick chicken :face:

this will do ya just fine. The higher performance type of controller I mentioned will be considerably more $, and if you drive truck(batt is in a truck, right,lol) battery gets full toped
Battery is only for running the lights in the camper. As of right now I bring the battery home every time and charge it then put it on the tender until we go again. Might get a little 4000 watt generator to run a couple small things like coffee maker and electric griddle as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Battery is only for running the lights in the camper. As of right now I bring the battery home every time and charge it then put it on the tender until we go again. Might get a little 4000 watt generator to run a couple small things like coffee maker and electric griddle as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
if you get a controller that will maintain a float charge you will go long periods of time spring-fall without having to haul batt or charge with gas generator

We did hatch some of our own, but are minus a rooster right now.
I'm thinking about adding some meat chickens to the family this spring, I just have to force myself not to get too attached.
I'm a bit of a weenie, still cry when I have to cull a sick chicken :face:
I am a bit fed up of roosters after living here for 5 months LOL, there are flocks of wild chickens in the gorge behind our flat. They crow at all hours of the day and night because the other side of the gorge is a hotel with lights on all night.

I hear you on the attachment thing! I'm the same. I think it's a mark of a good keeper, because it shows you care. Not to say that people who don't cry aren't good keepers, but everyone is different. Some people are more emotional than others, I'm one of them.

We once had a wonderful little Welsummer bantam, she raised her chicks perfectly etc etc. We also had a big Kelloggs looking rooster at the time. I was absolutely distraught when I found that the rooster had pretty much ripped the back of the bantam's head off while he mated her. I cried bucketloads as I put her down. That's the thing, if you're going to have livestock, sometimes you're going to have deadstock too. And it's never pleasant. We've had a few fox attacks over the years, I always cried.

Perhaps I should go start a chicken thread in the Farmacy! I'll post the link in my sig when I've done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back