Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy, friends!

I keep seeing these dire warnings about tank temperature with DWC getting too warm when it comes to oxygen availability.

The fact is that O2 solubility in water decreases with elevations in temperature, but a little research seems to indicate that the warnings out there are a bit exaggerated.

The suggested tank temperature is 75F/24C and at that temperature, the O2 saturation is 8.4 mg/L. At 80F/27C, it's 8 mg/L. Not a very dramatic drop.

As long as you use an airstone, and unless I am missing something, elevated water temperatures present more of a problem with bacteria/algae growth than they do with oxygen saturation.

See table here: http://www.mainevlmp.org/wp-content...ved-Oxygen-Concentration-Saturation-Table.pdf

Thoughts?

My bottle plant die'ed @27c res temp

I keep my main grow @21c

f6

Howdy, friends!

I keep seeing these dire warnings about tank temperature with DWC getting too warm when it comes to oxygen availability.

The fact is that O2 solubility in water decreases with elevations in temperature, but a little research seems to indicate that the warnings out there are a bit exaggerated.

The suggested tank temperature is 75F/24C and at that temperature, the O2 saturation is 8.4 mg/L. At 80F/27C, it's 8 mg/L. Not a very dramatic drop.

As long as you use an airstone, and unless I am missing something, elevated water temperatures present more of a problem with bacteria/algae growth than they do with oxygen saturation.

See table here: http://www.mainevlmp.org/wp-content...ved-Oxygen-Concentration-Saturation-Table.pdf

Thoughts?

I think it's the same as warnings against high humidity, 75%+, where the real concern is dramatic spikes in temperature and humidity with a lack of air flow. I don't grow DWC so I figure my opinion matters little but if one used @derek420colorado max O2 method in a light sealed reservoir there wouldn't be any problems but I'm just speculating.

I'd be interested to hear @Mañ'O'Green take on it though

Also, It's Saturday Night! Party with vigor!

smashbowl_party.gif

Howdy, friends!

Thoughts?
Not to sure on DWC as it's something I haven't done yet. But with my autopot reservoir ambient room temps normally stay 70-85F where my res is at and haven't seen much difference with growth.

This is some info I had found when searching DWC temps
62-68°F (17-20°C). Above 72°F (21°C) and dissolved oxygen (DO) dips too low. Below 60°F (16°C) and plants tend to slow their metabolism as they "think" the season is changing. Some growers use this to their advantage and reduce nutrient temperature towards the end of the flowering stage to aid in ripening.

Researchers have found the nutrient solution to be most effective if it is kept between 65 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Experts agree that the ideal water temperature for hydroponics is the same as the nutrient solution temperature. If the water added to the nutrient solution is the same temperature as the nutrient solution itself, the plant roots will not suffer any sudden temperature shifts.

Howdy! How goes the grow?

I think it's the same as warnings against high humidity, 75%+, where the real concern is dramatic spikes in temperature and humidity with a lack of air flow. I don't grow DWC so I figure my opinion matters little but if one used @derek420colorado max O2 method in a light sealed reservoir there wouldn't be any problems but I'm just speculating.

I'd be interested to hear @Mañ'O'Green take on it though

What struck me is the very small change in saturation from the suggested best temps and those higher.

Not to sure on DWC as it's something I haven't done yet. But with my autopot reservoir ambient room temps normally stay 70-85F where my res is at and haven't seen much difference with growth.

This is some info I had found when searching DWC temps
62-68°F (17-20°C). Above 72°F (21°C) and dissolved oxygen (DO) dips too low. Below 60°F (16°C) and plants tend to slow their metabolism as they "think" the season is changing. Some growers use this to their advantage and reduce nutrient temperature towards the end of the flowering stage to aid in ripening.

Researchers have found the nutrient solution to be most effective if it is kept between 65 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Experts agree that the ideal water temperature for hydroponics is the same as the nutrient solution temperature. If the water added to the nutrient solution is the same temperature as the nutrient solution itself, the plant roots will not suffer any sudden temperature shifts.

The difference in those temperature range is quite small. I am not saying that it isn't crossing some established threshold, but if there is one I don't know it.

I had some shitty germination rates last round. I did everything the same as usual. Does anyone store in the freezer? Just curious I store in my crisper in the fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back