Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a nutrient meter for measuring nutrient solutions.
It measures
  • PPM 500 scale mostly used in the USA
  • PPM 700 scale mostly used in the UK & Cananda
  • CF measure electrical conductivity
  • EC measure electrical conductivity
Bluelab Truncheon Nutrient Meter Features

• Fully waterproof
  • Auto on/off function
  • No calibration required
  • Daylight readable blue LED’s
  • Battery operated – 3 x AA batteries included
  • No buttons, switches or knobs
  • Provided with EC, CF, ppm 700 and ppm 500 scales
It is also nice a rugged and is great for stirring nutrients in you water.

To convert EC to CF multiply by 10 so an EC of 1.6 EC will be 16 CF
They are both measurement of electrical conductivity which like PPM tells you what strength of solution you have.

When talking to fellow growers it is important to know which scale you are using otherwise you may, overfeed or underfeed your plants.

Here is a chart showing the different scales
Nutrient-concentration-conversions-EC-PPM-CF.jpg

In the above chart Hanna & Dutch Master are 500 scale
Truncheon is shown as 700 scale (truncheon can also show 500 scale, CF & EC)
The most popular scales are 500 scale and 700 scale and EC.

Different nutrient companies use different scale to measure their nutes and also give feeding advice in the scale the use.

WHAT PPM SCALE IS YOUR NUTRIENT FORMULA REFERRING TO?
Manufacturer Scale

Advanced Nutrients 700 scale

Botanicare 700 scale

Cutting Edge Solutions 500 scale

Dutch Master 500 scale

Dyna-Gro 500 scale

FoxFarm 700 scale using dechlorinated tap water

General Hydroponics 500 scale using reverse osmosis water

General Organics 500 scale using reverse osmosis water

House & Garden 700 scale

Humboldt Nutrients 500 scale

Hydro Organics/ Earth Juice 500 scale

Miller Chemical & Fertilizer

Nectar for the Gods 700 scale

Rock Nutrients 700 scale

Roots Organics 500 scale

Soul Synthetics 500 scale

Technaflora 500 scale

There are a number of different scales of measurement for PPM, here is the nitty-gritty:

PPM MEASURES PARTS PER MILLION.
PPM is known as dimensionless quantities; that is, they are pure numbers with no associated units of measurement. A mass concentration of 2mg/kg – 2 parts per million – 2ppm – 2 x 10-6.

There are many different scales used for different industries around the world and for many different reasons! Did you know there are more than two scales? The most widely used scales in Hydroponics are the 500 scale, 650 scale and the 700 scale.

CF AND EC ARE MEASURES OF ELECTRICALLY-CHARGED NUTRIENT IONS IN A SOLUTION.
Pure water will not conduct electricity. Water usually conducts electricity because it is full of impurities (in our case, electrically charged nutrient ions). The two black dots on the end of Bluelab nutrient probes are called electrodes. When they are placed in a solution, an electrical current passes from one electrode to the other, counting the number of electrically charged ions present. This represents the units measured – CF or EC.

WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?
The ppm 700 scale is based on measuring the KCl or potassium chloride content of a solution. The ppm 500 is based on measuring the NaCl or sodium chloride content of a solution and is also referred to as TDS – total dissolved solids. Individual nutrient ions have different electrical effects! The true ppm of a solution can only be determined by a chemical analysis. ppm cannot be accurately measured by a CF or EC meter. They are present on Bluelab products as a conversion guide only. The conversion is the following:

2.4EC x 500 = 1200ppm (500 scale) or 1200ppm / 500 = 2.4EC

2.4EC x 700 = 1680ppm (700 scale) or 1680ppm / 700 = 2.4EC

If written instructions say you should grow your crop at 1100 ppm – how do you know which scale the author is referring to? Is the scale on your ppm meter right for the job? If the contents were compiled in the USA, it could be the 650 or 500 scale. If the book is written in the UK, it could be the 700 scale. If it was from Australia, it could be any of the three!

If you grow using ppm, you will need to know the following:

• What ppm scale is the book referring to?
  • What ppm scale is your meter using?
  • Which standard or calibration solution should you use for your meter?
  • What ppm scale is the nutrient formula referring to?
copied and pasted from - https://www.thegoodearthorganics.com/tips/ppm/

Awesome post Arty. Thats a very tough subject to explain well. Stellar job.

:slap:

That should be stickied for new growers if it isn't already.

Great info Arty. I use EC measurements in a lot of industrial processes, but the measurement is always expressed in ms/cm. It is unfortunate that the ppm pen manufacturers could not standardize a conversion factor. Confuses a lot of people.

Long process but :cheers: Green dragon tea, have made it 2 other times wasnt the strongest, atleast for me the last 2 times so i made this one alot stronger! Boiled 7 shots down to 2 and half maybe 3.. Yeatt
c54210a6e757fe240e2736ba0a4c73ee.jpg
84ddbce6f81e09f05009a9aac540d4ec.jpg
1754b9d106373759ba0a36be6dc9c328.jpg

Thanks for looking!:bighug:

Auto Night Queen 15 g full melt after trichs were like 60%amber! Nightly,night!:snooze:
IMG_1832.JPG
IMG_1833.JPG
IMG_1836.JPG
Good evening people!

Just having a little treat after curing up 15 grams of some lovely strawberry smelling, sweet hash I got from the night queen. I had let the trichs get really amber on this girl. Take a look at the color of her now...yummy stuff too. Full melt, and bubbles in the pipe! :drool:

Auto Night Queen 15 g full melt after trichs were like 60%amber! Nightly,night!:snooze:View attachment 947059 View attachment 947060 View attachment 947061 Good evening people!

Just having a little treat after curing up 15 grams of some lovely strawberry smelling, sweet hash I got from the night queen. I had let the trichs get really amber on this girl. Take a look at the color of her now...yummy stuff too. Full melt, and bubbles in the pipe! :drool:
Sweet dreams.

If you want a good desk chair look for a 24 hour operators chair! These chairs are designed for 24 hours a day 365 days a year and are used in jobs like air traffic control.
I was getting through at least one chair a year as i'm a big muscular guy (not a blobby whale!!) and I spend a lot of time working behind a screen.
The chair I purchased set me back £250 and came with a 5 year guarantee and that covers 24 hours a day for 365 days a year for 5 years.
I have now gone through the guarantee and the chair is still as solid as the day i bought it.
High out lay compared to lesser chairs but It has saved me so much money and continues to!
One day it might need recovering but it is a leather chair and it is holding up well in that regard.
I don't see me knackering this chair any time soon and if an office chair can be knackered I'm the man to do it. Yeah I fidget rock around, stretch ect which will take it's toll if a chair aint built to last.

Have a look at this, it is the kind of chair you want - https://www.officefurnitureonline.c...irs-200-300/komac-one-24-hour-task-chair.html
036938.jpg

Here's the specs
  • The One 24 hour seating by Komac, one of the UK's premium seating manufacturers
  • Komac is a carbon neutral company maintaining an environmental policy of reducing, reusing and recycling
  • Manufactured in the UK by experienced highly skilled craftsmen
  • Carefully selected high quality materials are used throughout
  • The One 24 hour chair is fully upholstered including the backrest
  • Designed for 24/7 use to suit demanding applications such as call centres, ambulance service, police and security personnel
  • Tested in accordance with British Standard BS5459-2 for 24 hour use
  • Lumbar sculpted backrest and contoured seat pad for enhanced ergonomics
  • Optional inflatable lumbar support by means of an adjustable airbag in the backrest
  • Synchonised side mechanism offers optimum unrestricted movement, aiding concentration while you work
  • Concealed back height adjustment ensures you feel supported while you sit
  • Seat slide adjusts seat depth to user’s body enhancing comfort and ergonomics
  • Gas height seat adjustment sets the chair at the users optimum working height
  • Waterfall front seat eases pressure on the thighs and helps maintain good blood flow
  • Add optional multi-directional arms for extra comfort
  • 5 star base in polished aluminium
  • Set on high quality easy glide castors
  • Choose castors to suit your floor surface - carpets or hardfloors
  • High quality CMHR foams are used throughout
  • Beautifully upholstered in-house by expert machinists
  • Fully upholstered in a choice of fabrics to help you create a unique interior space
  • Recommended for use 24 hours per day
  • Accredited to BS EN 5459:2000 Part 2 for severe office use
  • Accredited to BS EN ISO 9241:1999 Part 5 meets ergonomic requirements for office work with visual displays
  • Accredited to BS EN 1335:2000 Parts 1, 2 and 3 for office seating dimensional requirements
  • 5 year manufacturers guarantee
If you break it through normal use you'll get a replacement chair.
So far I haven't managed to break mine and now my guarantee has run out and it is still going strong.
Do you research and get that guarantee for 5 years, you wont regret it and it will save you money in the long run.

That looks like a winner! Thanks for the detailed information. Most of what they have at my closest office supply type store are cheap garbage. The "good" ones also look like they would just fall apart after a short while. I will definately look into the Komac.

Live from Dabberville lights as high as they can go
e58a887ae9e9dc0de559540150fba551.jpg
d9d8a8d215339d4690b59b007bdae809.jpg
239add61ff53c9205415a6fdcd969a83.jpg
18ee8a4172e698e3995b3d075c5f6e93.jpg
d159542ed23dbc73cf7d5c73864c0662.jpg
a02ee1765294ed9d153d56950f2fed9a.jpg
e9f74ae433a4d8fe013f98cf4e973d3e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

This grow continues to impress!

Great info Arty. I use EC measurements in a lot of industrial processes, but the measurement is always expressed in ms/cm. It is unfortunate that the ppm pen manufacturers could not standardize a conversion factor. Confuses a lot of people.
Me too @Duckster EC is the simplest way for me and there is never any confusion of which scale because it is just EC!
That looks like a winner! Thanks for the detailed information. Most of what they have at my closest office supply type store are cheap garbage. The "good" ones also look like they would just fall apart after a short while. I will definitely look into the Komac.
Komac is a UK company but you will find the same type of chairs elsewhere in the world , just use the feature list that the Kormac has and get that 5 year guarantee that is the standard you want for a chair that lasts.
I was looking at the executive chair and went to the add and there were no details, often a telling sign of a "pig wearing makeup"!
upload_2018-9-1_19-37-37.jpeg
Making the effort to look nice but if you sat on me, it wouldn't be long before you wanted to get off!

Superior office furniture products list why they are better and how they will keep you healthy and comfortable and then back that up with a guarantee!

The executive chairs did look nice and I'm sure some comfort enjoyment would be had but the longevity wouldn't be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back