Status
Not open for further replies.
The Canon SD790is is an older model, but it works great!! Excellent for taking closeups, video is only so, so being 720p resolution.

Thanks, Skelly! It was close ups that concerned me.....don't care about vids.........thanks again!

Question for anyone in the US who's pretty familiar with HIPAA and other patient confidentiality regs. Situation is that I'm thinking I may want to get a family member to start talking to a therapist on a regular basis, and that it's gotten to the point of being desperate enough to see it happen to consider starting to bribe them with a $$ allowance if they do so. But...I don't know that I can trust them to actually do so and not just take the money and say they're going.

So the question is...with HIPAA and confidentiality laws being what they are, can a therapist legally even notify a family member if someone (non dependent, legal adult) is or isn't going in to talk to them each week? I'm thinking the only way it would work would be to have our sister drive him there and pretty much go in and sit in the waiting room during his appointment each week.
Something I just remembered.. I can't remember which relative it was, but she had an adult daughter that she had convinced to go to the therapist. She communicated to the practice that she was concerned for her daughters well being, and as a bit of assurance if they would ring her back if the daughter did not show up for an appointment. They agreed, and this was done without any consent form. Was it legal? Don't know.

My job is centered around medical imaging, so I deal with HIPAA occasionally. Disclosure to immediate family might be possible, but you'd have to ask the doctor. Otherwise, the patient would probably have to give consent (signed waiver). It will also largely depend on practice policy, which isn't very consistent. Some smaller practices are a bit more flexible than others. Best advice I can suggest is to just call the doctors and ask.

As Mike said....a lot depends on the doctor, but I will tell you that mental health professionals tend to adhere to privacy and confidentiality guidelines very strictly. Many of them provide separate entrances and exits for patients to prevent people from finding out who they are treating. If the person is an adult that is unencumbered by any legal restrictions there is little to no chance of getting any info without their consent. Probably be better to go with the sister option. Doesn't hurt to ask, tho'.

Thanks, Skelly! It was close ups that concerned me.....don't care about vids.........thanks again!

Its a really good camera for closeups. Sure you wont get pics like a dedicated macro lens with a DSLR, or as sweet as an Olympus TG-5 (super macro mode), but for the cheap cost the SD790IS is really a fantastic camera and i highly recommend. I like it so much that the camera i am shopping for right now will like be another Canon, but this time around i would like a somewhat higher end model like the Canon G16, or the G9X mark II. Just sold enough stuff to get it....so now just waiting for the right deal!!

Its a really good camera for closeups. Sure you wont get pics like a dedicated macro lens with a DSLR, or as sweet as an Olympus TG-5 (super macro mode), but for the cheap cost the SD790IS is really a fantastic camera and i highly recommend. I like it so much that the camera i am shopping for right now will like be another Canon, but this time around i would like a somewhat higher end model like the Canon G16, or the G9X mark II. Just sold enough stuff to get it....so now just waiting for the right deal!!

Thanks for the further info.......I have always liked Canons and several people I have known swore by them. Just want something to document grows for forum.

Thanks for the further info.......I have always liked Canons and several people I have known swore by them. Just want something to document grows for forum.

Dont overlook craiglist either bud...sometimes there is crazy good deals on there...there was the waterproof version of the canon on our craigslist, and it was in perfect condition, and the guy only wanted $30 for it...i looked it up on ebay and they sell consistently for $110-130. Pretty much any of todays newer cameras will take great shots, just do your research, and pay special attention for a few things:
Dedicated Macro mode
Megapixels (10mb higher)
Light balance (important if you want to take pics under led or alternate lighting)
Manual Mode (IS shutter speed, light control)

Dont overlook craiglist either bud...sometimes there is crazy good deals on there...there was the waterproof version of the canon on our craigslist, and it was in perfect condition, and the guy only wanted $30 for it...i looked it up on ebay and they sell consistently for $110-130. Pretty much any of todays newer cameras will take great shots, just do your research, and pay special attention for a few things:
Dedicated Macro mode
Megapixels (10mb higher)
Light balance (important if you want to take pics under led or alternate lighting)
Manual Mode (IS shutter speed, light control)

Thanks again! I forgot all about Craig's List.....will check it out.......also, thanks for the info list!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back