Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for anyone in the US who's pretty familiar with HIPAA and other patient confidentiality regs. Situation is that I'm thinking I may want to get a family member to start talking to a therapist on a regular basis, and that it's gotten to the point of being desperate enough to see it happen to consider starting to bribe them with a $$ allowance if they do so. But...I don't know that I can trust them to actually do so and not just take the money and say they're going.

So the question is...with HIPAA and confidentiality laws being what they are, can a therapist legally even notify a family member if someone (non dependent, legal adult) is or isn't going in to talk to them each week? I'm thinking the only way it would work would be to have our sister drive him there and pretty much go in and sit in the waiting room during his appointment each week.

@912GreenSkell
Very weird.
For some reasons some videos were coming through ok and other not.
I eventually opened the control panel and had a fiddle with the sound setting and now everything is working and I was the one with sound issues and not the video.
Why it was fine with some videos and not others baffles me but atleast the issue was found and resolved.
apologies for what is effectively a false flag by mistake and I can't think why it would be like this as I haven't changed any settings.
The good news is everything is OK and now my PC is set up correctly (Which is what it was originally) maybe a program i installed affected my sound settings.:shrug:
setting

Ahh very interesting!! I figured it must have been something on your end. Thanks for letting me know!

@912GreenSkell ..........Hey Skelly, if you get a minute.....post the model # of that camera you said was good but inexpensive.....it was a Canon, I believe.
Thanks, bud!

The Canon SD790is is an older model, but it works great!! Excellent for taking closeups, video is only so, so being 720p resolution.

Question for anyone in the US who's pretty familiar with HIPAA and other patient confidentiality regs. Situation is that I'm thinking I may want to get a family member to start talking to a therapist on a regular basis, and that it's gotten to the point of being desperate enough to see it happen to consider starting to bribe them with a $$ allowance if they do so. But...I don't know that I can trust them to actually do so and not just take the money and say they're going.

So the question is...with HIPAA and confidentiality laws being what they are, can a therapist legally even notify a family member if someone (non dependent, legal adult) is or isn't going in to talk to them each week? I'm thinking the only way it would work would be to have our sister drive him there and pretty much go in and sit in the waiting room during his appointment each week.
My job is centered around medical imaging, so I deal with HIPAA occasionally. Disclosure to immediate family might be possible, but you'd have to ask the doctor. Otherwise, the patient would probably have to give consent (signed waiver). It will also largely depend on practice policy, which isn't very consistent. Some smaller practices are a bit more flexible than others. Best advice I can suggest is to just call the doctors and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back