Status
Not open for further replies.
Check this shit out............I'm surprised it has taken this long!

Marijuana breathalyzer aims to detect high drivers 'without unjustly accusing'

LILLY PRICE | USA TODAY Updated 9:17 a.m. EDT Aug. 8, 2018

A breathalyzer able to determine if a driver smoked pot could roll out in select cities in the fall, according to a company developing the first-of-its-kind product.

With recreational weed now legal in nine states and the District of Columbia, California-based Hound Labs Inc. has created a marijuana-breathalyzer it says will make roads safer and hold drivers accountable. The company claims the device is hypersensitive, allowing it to pick up any THC — the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana — potentially present on drivers' breath.

"The Hound breathalyzer is 1 billion times more sensitive than today’s alcohol breathalyzers," the company says on its site.

A 2017 survey by the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) found that almost 70 percent of cannabis consumers drove high at least once in the past year. Twenty-seven percent said they drive high almost every day.

Currently, officers who suspect a driver is impaired can only test the hunch with field sobriety tests. Blood, breath or urine samples could be taken to determine if a driver is high, but such tests can be inaccurate. Those tests also detect if the driver was high that day or week, rather than if they were high while operating the vehicle in that instance.

Tools such as Hound Labs' alcohol-and-marijuana breathalyzer or Canadian company Cannabix Technologies Inc.'s THC breathalyzer aim to present an objective determination of recent marijuana use rather than one based on an officers' judgement or an intrusive test. Drivers with a blood alcohol concentration above .08 percent are considered under the influence of alcohol or driving while impaired. But what exactly qualifies a driver under the influence of marijuana as "impaired" is up for debate in the science community.

For Hound Labs' breathalyzers, that qualification is marked by timing. Though the company's breathalyzers can determine how much marijuana is in someone's breath, the actual level of THC is not as relevant as recency of use for determining whether an individual is high, according to their research.

THC only stays in breath during the "peak window of impairment," about one to two hours after smoking marijuana, according to Hound Labs. The level of THC found in breath samples drops to zero at three hours after smoking, the company's research found.

When an individual blows into the breathalyzer, it can determine within a couple minutes whether there is alcohol, THC or both in the person's system. Since THC is only present in someone's breath during that peak two-hour window, the driver is considered impaired when it's detected.

The breathalyzer would then display "Warning" if THC is detected and "Pass" if it is not.

The device "will help ensure safety on our roads and in the workplace while also promoting fairness to people who use marijuana legally and responsibly," said Louisa Ashord, marketing manager for Hound Labs in a statement.

I'd be curious to know if tinctures, edibles, or other non-inhaled methods of getting THC into your system would work around the test.
:chimp:

Well got tent swept and vacuumed out, now I need to install the the KindLed to give it a go and compare against my previous autocob grows. Then get my coco prepped.

So far I've never had less than one plant going in the tent at any given time. Starting these next two just a week or so apart, so they should finish about the same time, giving me a good opportunity to clean things up - which it really needs done.

I'd be curious to know if tinctures, edibles, or other non-inhaled methods of getting THC into your system would work around the test.
I was thinking the same thing when I read the article. Plus, re inhaling inhaling, does vapor have the less/more/same staying power as smoke? How long will it be before masking products are on the market?

oops, I duplicated a word. I was going to remove it, but thought "puff puff pass" :pass:

So far I've never had less than one plant going in the tent at any given time. Starting these next two just a week or so apart, so they should finish about the same time, giving me a good opportunity to clean things up - which it really needs done.
I normally cleaned everything up right after harvest so I was ready to go again, but this time I had to go see my Dad after his foot surgery and got tied up with doing other things around here. I'm now regretting the late clean up process.

I'd be curious to know how it works in the first place.

Alcohol is volatile. It evaporates out of your blood as you breath. THC is not at all volatile. How on earth is it getting into the breath?

I think the reporter might be confused.

What is under a reasonable sized evaluation are saliva based tests. I am not sure how those are supposed to work either, but detecting volatile compounds is probably not how they do it.

I normally cleaned everything up right after harvest so I was ready to go again, but this time I had to go see my Dad after his foot surgery and got tied up with doing other things around here. I'm now regretting the late clean up process.
What I meant to say was that I haven't NOT been growing since about this time last year. Never had a chance to actually shut the tent down.

I think I am going to try something different with the next batch of tincture. I have already what looks like a lifetime supply from the GG4 extraction, so if this blows up it wont be the end of the world.

I want to evaporate out all of the alcohol. This should leave just water and raw extract. Since it doesn't dissolve in water, I can theoretically just filter it off.

Or perhaps just let the water also evaporate, and wind up with a clean pure goo. Well, clean plus whatever was in the booze besides alcohol and water.

Wanna toss this out there for the chemist in all of us...

The plan is to make a tincture through the traditional method (specifically, the one @912GreenSkell put up).

With that solution, I'll slowly boil it down to 50% volume, then replace with water and continue.

After a few cycles, the alcohol will be long gone, and there will be molten thc/cbd/etc forming an emulsion with water. Since it's immiscible in water, if I let it cool, the extract might congeal into something easy to filter off. This would be pure as hell. You'll lose any water soluble components, but I suppose you could boil it down until most of the water is gone then just let it dry.

I will be trying this (or a varient thereof) this weekend.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back