Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is....how much intensity can they deal with, without a problem arising?(halting of flowering or hermaphroditic traits forming). I recall reading in Ed rothenthals book where they were halting flower in a short light regime by utilizing car headlights and strong flashlights.
I confess that I have not read that book, but did they shine the light directly on the plants? Or was it more of an ambient effect?

@Mike20132 - the same type of thinking applies to 12/12 for photos...who made that number up to be the norm?? One thing is for sure it was a long time ago nearly EVERY photo growing uses it as the "proper flower regime". But wait a second now.....I am getting over 14 hours of light and my plants are flowering as they should be!! If plants started flowering at 12/12 it would be impossible to grow here. So few strains need to go anywhere near 12/12 to trigger flower

I believe another 2 hours of light on photos will be quite an increase of flower formation.

I confess that I have not read that book, but did they shine the light directly on the plants? Or was it more of an ambient effect?

It was being directly used for that purpose. Still though it brings up many questions about how instense can the light be before it causes an issue...wish i could test it out, but i cant take a risk like that.

@Mike20132 - the same type of thinking applies to 12/12 for photos...who made that number up to be the norm?? One thing is for sure it was a long time ago nearly EVERY photo growing uses it as the "proper flower regime". But wait a second now.....I am getting over 14 hours of light and my plants are flowering as they should be!! If plants started flowering at 12/12 it would be impossible to grow here.
People are inherently lazy. 12/12 is a "will def work" in an artificial environment. I agree that it seems that the reality of growing outdoors is just not considered when making these recommendations.

It was being directly used for that purpose. Still though it brings up many questions about how instense can the light be before it causes an issue...wish i could test it out, but i cant take a risk like that.
No, I fully agree "better safe than sorry" is the right approach.

Pity we don't have more research on the subject.

People are inherently lazy. 12/12 is a "will def work" in an artificial environment. I agree that it seems that the reality of growing outdoors is just not considered when making these recommendations.

I think its the actual plant properties that are often being overlooked in favour of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. I believe it is @Ripper that is going to mess around with a longer light regime flower for photos soon!! I will be watching with great interest!!

@912GreenSkell do you use 5gal bubble bags? I'm thinking the 1gal will be to small?

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Yes i do...because i have quite a bit of underformed bud and crystal leaf to use up, i run a high volume mixing system, but run it through suspended 5 gallon bubble bags....there is a tutorial if you are interested

I think its the actual plant properties that are often being overlooked in favour of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. I believe it is @Ripper that is going to mess around with a longer light regime flower for photos soon!! I will be watching with great interest!!
Agreed. The generic 12/12 is a safe bet, but more light means more flower. I am also pretty interested in the results of @Ripper's experiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back