Status
Not open for further replies.
These little channel cats were a pain when trying to fish for something bigger. But kept kids on their toes watching their poles.
a4b1b68392c2814d9a099407690b200c.jpg

Oh catching kitty cats!! :D

Are the cats over there any good to eat? The ones here taste like dirt!

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Yes they are very good eating over here. I am always leary keeping one in the 15lb+ range, but my brother in law told me a trick....the meat closest to the skin(in the lower section mostly) almost has a brown or grey look to it. Cut that off and the remaining meat is stellar even on the big ones.

I must try that next time! I have also heard of people soaking them in milk
Yes they are very good eating over here. I am always leary keeping one in the 15lb+ range, but my brother in law told me a trick....the meat closest to the skin(in the lower section mostly) almost has a brown or grey look to it. Cut that off and the remaining meat is stellar even on the big ones.

In the river we fish here they are in abundance sometimes even a bit annoying when targeting Saratoga.
Smaller channel cats in the 3-10 pound class dont seem to have the issue, and it only seems in certain waters the bigger ones have the issue. I used to catfish like crazy

I must try that next time! I have also heard of people soaking them in milk

Yes i have done milk soaking as well. Some places where the grey meat is thick, they have a VERY strong fishy taste(and not in a good way). Soaking in milk cuts out the stanky fishy taste. I normally cook them cajun cat style, so for the stanky fish taste to overpower that kind of spice you know its not exactly prime!! @chefdave thought you might have some other ideas on the above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back