Status
Not open for further replies.
howdy stoners. I'm trying to make a choice here, help a brother out.

I got a sweet old 88 Chevy 1 ton Truck, I put a lot of parts on it, including a brand new crate motor and high performance gear. The tires alone cost over $1000... I have about 14k into the project including paint and parts. I need brakes, and I can't decide if I'm going to buy into the hype or not and buy expensive brake pads and rotors. I do use the truck to tow and haul stuff, so I'm leaning towards getting slotted drilled rotors and towing pads. None of this is neccesary, the truck would stop fine with cheaper parts, maybe half the cost.

What would you do? keep throwing money into this sweet antique (turned antique last year!) or just keep it on the road?

IMG_20171109_152236.jpg
IMG_20171109_134823.jpg

Last edited:
16 - 1.75L bottles of cheap vodka (9.00 ea.) distilled (~16 hours) = 3 gal. of 185 proof ethanol = $144 plus a water distiller $87.43 (get one with temp controller) for a total price of $231 and you still have a still!

View attachment 959817

Can do a lot of stuff with that. Make absinthe for example. :cheers:

howdy stoners. I'm trying to make a choice here, help a brother out.

I got a sweet old 88 Chevy 1 ton Truck, I put a lot of parts on it, including a brand new crate motor and high performance gear. The tires alone cost over $1000... I have about 14k into the project including paint and parts. I need brakes, and I can't decide if I'm going to buy into the hype or not and buy expensive brake pads and rotors. I do use the truck to tow and haul stuff, so I'm leaning towards getting slotted drilled rotors and towing pads. None of this is neccesary, the truck would stop fine with cheaper parts, maybe half the cost.

What would you do? keep throwing money into this sweet antique (turned antique last year!) or just keep it on the road?

View attachment 959818 View attachment 959819
I think RUST is the determining factor here. If the frame and body are sound with no hidden rust issues then investing in better brakes is the way to go.

Can do a lot of stuff with that. Make absinthe for example. :cheers:
I use it in my QWET to Vape process among other things. I am as cheap a guy as you will find here on AFN and this thing has paid for itself many times over.

Not a spec of rust, and I have already replaced nearly every major mechanical system. The only things not replaced/repaired are the tranny and the brakes. I've spent 5 years replacing stuff around the engine like water pumps and radiators and stuff. Then got a new engine and paint job. I've owned it for almost ten years now. I think your right, why stop now.

upgraded discs but no holes or slots,and good pads.lightweight shit dont need big brakes.
:pighug:

One would think so, but I fill it with gravel and tow bobcats with it. It's got some major power, but the limiting factor on towing is brakes not power. That being said, I've never had an issue before with regular stock gear.

at least not in this truck. I had a micro truck once and tried to tow a VW bus 1500 miles.... jackknife twice for brakes not stopping it. That was an adventure.

upgraded discs but no holes or slots,and good pads.lightweight shit dont need big brakes.
:pighug:
@archie gemmill rarely do I disagree with you but those old Chevys had poor braking performance towing down hill. I had an old 1961 3/4 ton for 25 years. I loved that old truck (mostly). It had no AC and was hotter than hell in the summer time. When towing my travel trailer 1800LBs braking was poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back