Grow Mediums Coco vs soil for autoflowers?

With autos, what is the most effective medium for overall yeild and potency?

• Total voters
Coco coir. Cause I've never grown in soil. I will some day. I want round out my skills.
Why I love coco.
CAN'T over water (in the appropriate size container).
Can easliy be reused.
Great buffering.
Is more versatile. In flood an drain tables or in pot like containers.

That wraps it up for now.

Coco coir. Cause I've never grown in soil. I will some day. I want round out my skills.
Why I love coco.
CAN'T over water (in the appropriate size container).
Can easliy be reused.
Great buffering.
Is more versatile. In flood an drain tables or in pot like containers.

That wraps it up for now.
It's the complete opposite for me, have always used soil & have been put off by all the "so called" extra experience needed. I Need enlightened..ha

I have almost no experience with coco, but ive been doing a lot of research, and The biggest autos I've ever seen were grown by @GrowPotCheaply in Coco.

I also like the idea of Coco for someone like my mom, who has fibromyalgia. I think it'd be easier for her to break a brick down and water a small amount every day, then it would be for her to mix up supersoil and lug a lot of water when it was time.

I'm a coco user and am on the fence with this one!

Mainly depends on the grower! Me vs TaNg - silly contest! But a better coco grower than me Vs an awesome soil grower is too close to call.

A drip fed coco plant *I tHInk* will grow bigger than a soil grow due to the hydroponic nature.

Now if your going for ease of use - the super soil (if its got right) needs mixing only once and then old mum only has to water (no nutes ... no ph - get in there mum!!).

I'm keenly watching these new supersoil guys (with a view to mixing it with coco) - If i were making a system for mum, it would be something like a supersoil / TLO that can be watered lightly for the first couple of weeks before turing on an auto pot.

Then she can just fill the 20/30 litre rez with a hose every couple of weeks until it's ready to chop.

That's a good idea. She will only be growing a few plants, at most. So it wouldn't take much for me to mix her up a few Walmart bags of supersoil and set her up some sort of autopot system.

The hydro nature of Coco is what is drawing me in. I like the idea of the plant having fresh nutes constantly available.

bule post: 1042551 said:
It's the complete opposite for me, have always used soil & have been put off by all the "so called" extra experience needed. I Need enlightened..ha
What extra experience is needed?

I'm a coco user and am on the fence with this one!
Now if your going for ease of use - the super soil (if its got right) needs mixing only once and then old mum only has to water (no nutes ... no ph - get in there mum!!).

I'm keenly watching these new supersoil guys (with a view to mixing it with coco) - If i were making a system for mum, it would be something like a supersoil / TLO that can be watered lightly for the first couple of weeks before turing on an auto pot.

Then she can just fill the 20/30 litre rez with a hose every couple of weeks until it's ready to chop.

Blue, I tried SuperSoil a bit last year, but finally decided it just wasn't for me. First off, you'd better have a strong back and be capable of maneuvering full bales of peat, and big bags of perlite and earthworm castings. Then you need a place to mix all that stuff and you need covered tubs big enough to allow the mix to cook, plus you also need room to store all the peat, perlite and castings that you don't use. Then you need room to store all the millions of bags of other organic stuff that you need. In other words, SuperSoil really does require that you have plenty of covered storage for everything. And though SuperSoil might save you some money over the long haul, it takes a whole lot of money to get started.

I'm not saying it isn't great stuff; it is, but I'd say SuperSoil is pretty much limited to people making a decent wage who either own or rent nice sized houses, rather than for people who live in Mobile homes, apartments, or Mom and Dad's basement and work for crap wages.

Coco is way less money than Supersoil and if you get the compressed bricks, you can store enough coco for several grows in very little space. And the other thing, of course, is the fact that yield is directly related to size and coco definitely grows larger plants than soil does.

My next grow will be in coco and I'm excited about it. :woohoo:

Blue, I tried SuperSoil a bit last year, but finally decided it just wasn't for me. First off, you'd better have a strong back and be capable of maneuvering full bales of peat, and big bags of perlite and earthworm castings. Then you need a place to mix all that stuff and you need covered tubs big enough to allow the mix to cook, plus you also need room to store all the peat, perlite and castings that you don't use. Then you need room to store all the millions of bags of other organic stuff that you need. In other words, SuperSoil really does require that you have plenty of covered storage for everything. And though SuperSoil might save you some money over the long haul, it takes a whole lot of money to get started.

I'm not saying it isn't great stuff; it is, but I'd say SuperSoil is pretty much limited to people making a decent wage who either own or rent nice sized houses, rather than for people who live in Mobile homes, apartments, or Mom and Dad's basement and work for crap wages.

Coco is way less money than Supersoil and if you get the compressed bricks, you can store enough coco for several grows in very little space. And the other thing, of course, is the fact that yield is directly related to size and coco definitely grows larger plants than soil does.

My next grow will be in coco and I'm excited about it. :woohoo:

Hey @Nuggz I definately get you! I agree that making the supersoil is a bit involved for me with the amount of time and space i have - but have you heard of the new soil vendor on the site KindSoil?

They sell pre-made supersoil in small enough batches for a small hobby grower. There's some staff members testing it out - but early indications are looking good!
I'm holding off until i see what the rest of the staff make of it all - but i'm hopefull that maybe a 50/50 coco and this pre-made supersoil may be just the ticket!

Good luck on your first coco grow - I was a soil user to start with and moved over to coco a few years back. It's always been good for me! :D Just want to make less work for myself long term now :D

:d5:

Back