keep pounding

vic vaseline'o
Reaction score
amazing info on COB led building and concept info on youtube, please checkout these 2 guys...
GREENGENES GARDEN
GROWMAU5 (their youtube user names)
these guys just recently dumped a bunch of well needed info on you tube for our advancement!!
pardon me if it is already on AFN. I could not find it in my searches for info. all searches lead me to you tube and RIU.
hope this helps. it really helped me and hope others get the same.

Hi Keep Pounding,
this info is now well known on RIU and IC, here on AFN it's not so spread as here is full of happy buyers of cheap and not so cheap led brands. Not much DIY people here.
Despite that I'm a proud DIY-er and I surely researched for a lot of latest infos regarding leds, efficency and so on.
It made me realize the DIY is the best option for me and so I made my own leds with very similar specs as the above YT users.

I put together some Cree CXB 3590 cobs on cpu heatsinks with MeanWell led drivers and now I have a 50-64% efficent led light of 300W max output(actually can be 400W with 8 cobs, now I have 6). Each cob is 25-50W dimmable and all together put out more light than 2x 250W hps with much less heating and they have a better spread of light.

I believe my setup is better compared to most(if not all)commercially available led grow lights, but we'll have to see how the grow will progress.
Belief is worth nothing without results:greenthumb:

Balrama I Would love to build a light when I get the time in the next few years so any info is great. Do you have a thread on your build ?

Hi Bunny,
sorry I didn't make a thread about the build process because I kind of improvised with the parts. Also I didn't take pictures of putting parts together.
But I could make a thread about the build and buying parts for anyone interested in making their own leds.

Like you, I also thought of making a led panel in few years time but instead I jumped on the cree cxb train as soon I found enough proper infos. Nothing to gain with waiting or buying already made leds.

It cost me around 700€ for parts in EU, US prices are even lower.

Hi Bunny,
sorry I didn't make a thread about the build process because I kind of improvised with the parts. Also I didn't take pictures of putting parts together.
But I could make a thread about the build and buying parts for anyone interested in making their own leds.

Like you, I also thought of making a led panel in few years time but instead I jumped on the cree cxb train as soon I found enough proper infos. Nothing to gain with waiting or buying already made leds.

It cost me around 700€ for parts in EU, US prices are even lower.
great idea about making a thread me im to lazy to make one (not enough hours in a day) the new led I just bought is a COB seems to be doing the trick cost around the same as yours but only has 4 cobs on it and uses 270 watts from the wall owe you a big :slap: great idea

Hey aperson,
here's one of the pics just to put things into perspective.
It's a Cree CXB3590 3000K driven at 25W in the picture, now in flower they're driven with 50W each. I have 6 of them in a 120x60 space.
Under it there are two vegging Zamal Hash plants, a few weeks before the flip.

underled1dec15.jpg

At this stage the light is just a prototype, modules are hanging separately without a frame, because I anticipated the plants will grow at different final heights. Next grow I think they will be put on some bars and I'll probably add another pair of led modules, the cool white ones 6400K which are even brighter than the 3000K.
Hope it helps.

Cheers

Bala could you post a pic of your LED? Thanks! I'd love to know how to DIY
Heres a link to a old thread of mine with some diy led
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/diy-60w-led-veg-light-5400-lumen.213
atm im using 4 small 22.5w panels with cree bins and im in the process of making a small 90-100w panel with cree cob
cxa1507 to replace my 100w hps during the hot summer months
Best yield under 2 of those panels was just under 70g single plant. and those chips is old and not near the performance of the new cobs.
Anyways
stay green
Ohh
NYC day 23 under 45w 3000k cree bins
vaG3fra.jpg

:pass:

Back