Outdoor Captcold's Mephisto Outdoor Grow - 2018

So jealous of your situation being able to grow outside under the sun. Looks like the AvT will be as big as they can get in those pots. Should be a fun watch.
they'll be going into 5 gals the minute they look like they want to. No limits here....let's see what they'll do under the big bulb in the sky....

Very nice!! Growing steadily!! We are supposed to get a shot of snow tomorrow and sunday :shrug: Tromping around on trout opening day of the season in the snow...LOL
But then supposed to be nice next week!! Hopefully the turning point!!!

shit man, sorry to hear about our Canadian weather.

Mephistos doing well, some more vigorous than the others. Pheno differences rule this out for any commercial app. Could be problematic for indoor tents as well.

IMG_20180430_135222.jpg

X planted 2 best phenos. Will consider 5gals, but plants need to show me they'll use them. Phenos are too broad to waste soil, one of the AvT's is almost a hemp plant for fiborous stalk material. Lots room for bud sites....hard to tell what's coming as I lack experience with these. Gotta say I'm unhappy so far. They smell good....
IMG_20180501_141250.jpg

Upsized all pots. Only the tall one looked like it was getting a little constrained. Root mass is heavy lower, still have lots of room to grow. Hopefully they'll all adjust to the extra space well. AvT on the left, L&C on the right.

IMG_20180504_173905.jpg

better pic of one of the tops. Barely 35 days from seed, pistils coming along strong already.

I am struck about how fast the Mephistos are cookin' along. They sexed at 20 days, and growth seems to have slowed for the moment. Perhaps it's because their growth rate was so fast, maybe that's it for now, or maybe now that they have more root elbow room, the stretch or secondary maturation phase is loading and yet to come. Since I know nothing about the strains, it's all fun.

I've included a pic of 2 DP Think Big's I started about a week later for comparison. I had them left over from last grow season, and they provide a great visual distinction of ruderalis sub-varietals. The structure of the DP gear is much more uniform and predictable. Ultimately, the chem profiles and yields are what this is all about though....I am really (really) looking forward to seeing what the Mephistos bring in that regard.

Spotted some odd browning on one of the Mephisto fan leaves, not deficiency or die off - just some plant leaf dis-coloration. Will keep an eye on it, but probably just some random anthocyanin reaction.

IMG_20180505_110944_hdr.jpg

The Dutch Passion Think Big's have a regular structure. The difference in height between them is due to a) soil height, and b) during transplant, lost a bit of root mass on the one on the right. the solo cup soil cleaved into 2 parts, so, I essentially broke the roots :coffee2:

Seems to be on track though, despite me pulling a boner....

IMG_20180505_112440_hdr.jpg

Last edited:
X planted 2 best phenos. Will consider 5gals, but plants need to show me they'll use them. Phenos are too broad to waste soil, one of the AvT's is almost a hemp plant for fiborous stalk material. Lots room for bud sites....hard to tell what's coming as I lack experience with these. Gotta say I'm unhappy so far. They smell good....
View attachment 900596
Good stuff! Subbed.

I have two mephisto auto skywalkers growing 100% outdoors/organic that popped above ground about a week ago. Will be watching your thread closely!

Here’s the link to my grow journal if you wanna follow along:
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...s-northern-cal-mephisto-auto-skywalker.65485/

just spotted some spotting on a few leaves on different plants with different indications. Getting concerned. These aren't F4's, I can say that.

I'm wondering where on the spectrum each plant is. A 'prize in every box' is great for popcorn, not so cool for genetics.

Back