Extraction Bubble Bowl tips and tricks, feedback, etc,....

Great post!!

:slap:

:jointman: OK mates, feel free to offer up anything you think is relevant to the Bubble Bowl system here!

I picked mine up a while back, and only have a few runs in so far,... First two were not the best, a fair amount of green bits got in both grades (didn't bother to separate 120 and 90 micron stuff when making hash)... First run, I thought the older trim was just too low in moisture content, so readily powdered up. Second run was with fresher stuff, still had pliability to it, but got similar results,... In both cases, the dry ice had sizable chunks in it, like i saw in the video demo'... but my thinking was these are too big, heavy and so were pulverizing the ultra-brittle veg' matter...
So this last run, today, I broke up the DI into small pieces, all at or under about 1" x 1/2".... I should note that the amounts of trim were fairly small, about an oz or less,...
Shaking pattern is something to tinker with too,...never bang away at it!... faster, shorter amplitude up-and-down seems to work better, rotate the bowl a few times at least, I even flipped the contents like you do when you saute' something, plus a little "gold panning" swirling just to stir contents better,... leave the top off once and you'll see how the contents tend to move and behave with your MO,...
:thumbsup: This time, things came out much better! I don't have pics of the first couple runs, but they were definitely a greenish tint, magnification showed just how much,... they formed up for hash just OK, still on the dusty/crumbly side,... However, this run of kief looks like this (haven't processed it to hash yet):

This is Atomic, 120+90 on left, 2nd shake 160 on right--> View attachment 870067
>>> and this is a mix of several strains, odds and ends, same grade as above...-->
View attachment 870068

.... notable, even the 2nd shake run isn't showing much more micro-bits of green, and these went 30+ sec. longer than what the video says to do,... I recommend halting briefly 1-2 times during the shaking for 1st and 2nd runs, to have a fast peek to see how things are progressing!
:wiz: - I'd say because everybody is going to work it a little differently, take the directions as a general advisery,... taking quick peeks will tell you when you're doing OK, or starting to foul the goods,... If you're new to hash making, too much veg' matter will make the hash difficult to process, and not form the right texture and stickiness.. it stays crumbly and won't adhere together well,... still kicks your butt though! :dizzy: :haha:

A rosin press makes it real nice to and no consumables other than parchment paper, or for trim and larger batches, you can buy filter bags they run you a dollar or less per bag. I just got some 90 micron bags and I'm going to test trim in them. I saw bubbleman press hash with the rosin press, it looks like clean concentrate!

oops, forgot to add the clean-up qwiso pic! I'll post what i do for this later, and a tool or two that was very handy to use for collecting and cleaning,....:smoking:

View attachment 870069

i think i got 51% kief hair straightners.
even though theres only 2 screens so in theory 2 dif qualities of hash.but try a 10sec shake and clean up,then a 30sec shake and clean up/etc.etc..the very first run will be fire,and will be able to press out a dab with just finger thumb heat.
keep er lit.
:pighug:

:jointman: Thanks @pop22 .... yeah, Briman has shown me pics of the hash-rosin results he got, and they're prime grade stuff all the way! Truth be told, I'm not much of a concentrate guy, just too damn gnarly-strong:dizzy: :haha:

:smoking: Hey Stick'! ... well, if the material is very dry, I think sifting w/o the dry ice might be wiser, if less efficient,.... the main problem with this system is when the dry ice really pulverizes dry material to such fineness that it makes it through the screens and "contaminates" the kief,... as you know too much of that and it won't be cohesive enough to be proper hash :doh:..... So that's why I found smaller pieces of d-i worked better, less physical action... with super dry stuff though, it'd be even worse! Maybe consider rehydrating the material some in a closed container with something that will make/release high RH%, to the point that it doesn't crumble to dust when you pinch it,... like a moistened paper towel stuck to the lid of a plastic container or something like that,... as long as there's high surface area exposed to evaporate from and saturate the air allowing the material to take it up evenly.... we know that rehydrated stuff will still go to powder more easily even after such treatment when it becomes dry again, so maybe even let it get moist enough to be soft/pliable.. then the dry ice may not abuse it as badly! Of course, if a little green stuff in the kief doesn't bother you for this batch, then that amount of rehydration may not be necessary,... :pass:
Thank-you for your concise answer as always my friend!
Sounds like I will be much better off running all the dry flowers through my bubble bags. Been talking to others who do it. Just need to freeze the dried flowers well, and rehydrate by letting them sit in the water/ice mixture for a few minutes before starting to process. I just have way too many dried flowers to dry sift. Already have LOTS of dry sift as it is.

Going to use your method with my dry sift to turn it into hash. Don't like anything more potent myself like rosin or shatter, but just love the taste of hash. All I smoke these days, is a bit of flower mixed with hash and dry sift.

Making lots of Malawi Cobs with my OD crop this year, as well. Just made some with some very C99 leaning Freezeland x C99a from Cres. Some of the finest OD flowers I have thus grown OD.

Peace

Back