New Grower Black Stone Grow (LED in Coco) by AeonSophia

Thanks guys. You're all awesome. I've just been stressed about financial stuff, but in the big picture of what really matters, that's all just passing waves. Black Stone 1 is growing on like nothing happened and looks and smells amazing (not flowering smell of course, but a deep, rich plant aroma unlike anything else.) Black Stone 2.1 damped off like 2.0, but I still have four of those seeds left, and I'm not giving up. This time I'm not going to mist it until it gets well established, and I'm going start it in a cup so I can more easily tell how much water it needs. Also, before I plant it into the growing medium, I'm going to sprinkle some of the Great White into the hole so the root gets inoculated as soon as possible. I'm feeling hopeful about this one. I've already learned so much from my mistakes that I have a pretty good idea about how to make things go more smoothly.

I have to say, compared to plants, growing mushrooms was a cakewalk. These plants are a bit more needy, it seems. Of course my problem so far has been attempting to nurture them too much. Good thing I got all this fungus and bacteria to help toughen them up. Really though, it seems that sort of symbiotic relationship is something plants should have, since almost all plants in nature grow in soil rich with microbial and fungal life. Anyway, the growing continues, and I have 9 more Portal seeds left, so it's not stopping any time soon.
Seedling cannabis plants don't need much help at all, plant them after germination in well aerated medium like coco/perlite 50/50 and wait 4 weeks for veg. From what I read you're using an led to grow your cannabis, be careful of giving them too much light, LEDs are bright and penetrate deep into a large canopy, Yes you can have too much light, the plants cower first then dampen and die. I run my seedlings under t5ho at 2 inches distance from tops of seedlings, this amounts to around 500u/mols in par output, by the time I flower my plants the par is increased to 1000u/mols at canopy level. I have multiple led brands and sets from lush to calfornia light works, apache, blackdog and they all have the same thing in common, too bright for small plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I think I got it figured out. The most recent one has been growing perfectly since the begining. My problem was definitely over watering and misting. I've stopped misting and I give them about a week after planting before the first light feeding.

I could probably go with more perlite in the future. What I have now is probably 15-20% perlite. I just used what I had left over. I feel like adding much more perlite would hurt the nutrient buffering properties of the medium and make it harder to keep it wet. I like my setup now that I've figured out how to work with it.

I always keep the light at the very least 24-36 inches away from seedlings. Seems to be fine.

Things are going smoothly now, but I appreciate the advice.

Yeah I think I got it figured out. The most recent one has been growing perfectly since the begining. My problem was definitely over watering and misting. I've stopped misting and I give them about a week after planting before the first light feeding.

I could probably go with more perlite in the future. What I have now is probably 15-20% perlite. I just used what I had left over. I feel like adding much more perlite would hurt the nutrient buffering properties of the medium and make it harder to keep it wet. I like my setup now that I've figured out how to work with it.

I always keep the light at the very least 24-36 inches away from seedlings. Seems to be fine.

Things are going smoothly now, but I appreciate the advice.
Think of flowering a cannabis plant as lighting a bottle rocket, you light it, it only flies so far up, the same can be said about a plant, a soon as bloom starts you only have so much time before it's done. By using perlite in your medium the plant gets more oxygen, you feed more because it dries out faster, and that's good during bloom because you literally only get so much time, a finite amount of feedings and only meeting the law of minimum will decrease yields by up to 80% depending on genetics. C02, the Emerson effect, perlite aka aerated mediums all serve the function of allowing you to fill the plants belly full of food instead of just curbing its appetite. The Emerson effect is essentially water evaporation off the leaves, it's how a plant drinks and pees pretty much. HID lamps throw tons of energy into the thermal spectrum increasing the Emerson effect, where as LEDs don't illicit that effect very well unless they have thermal cobs

I dont know about emerson and such but %100 Coco is a beast medium for max o2 saturated nute mixes.

Think of flowering a cannabis plant as lighting a bottle rocket, you light it, it only flies so far up, the same can be said about a plant, a soon as bloom starts you only have so much time before it's done. By using perlite in your medium the plant gets more oxygen, you feed more because it dries out faster, and that's good during bloom because you literally only get so much time, a finite amount of feedings and only meeting the law of minimum will decrease yields by up to 80% depending on genetics. C02, the Emerson effect, perlite aka aerated mediums all serve the function of allowing you to fill the plants belly full of food instead of just curbing its appetite. The Emerson effect is essentially water evaporation off the leaves, it's how a plant drinks and pees pretty much. HID lamps throw tons of energy into the thermal spectrum increasing the Emerson effect, where as LEDs don't illicit that effect very well unless they have thermal cobs

I get what you're saying, but I think my growing medium has plenty of oxygen. I feel like I'm watering it often enough already. Maybe if I was using bigger pots it would be good to have more perlite, but I'm probably going to be watering every day as the buds get bigger. Watering more than once a day would be nearly impossible wih my work schedule. In my 3 gallon pots, I'm happy with the amount of water retention I'm getting.

Also my LED does have some IR, which generates heat, so I think I'm getting slightly more evaporation than some LEDs.

Well it looks like I'm stuck with this phone camera for now. Strangely, the macro photos look way better than the ones from far away. I swear they look better in person. The camera seems to wash out a lot of the colors.

Black Stone [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG]
20170226_031102.jpg

20170226_031627.jpg

20170226_031943.jpg

Black Stone [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG]
20170226_032241.jpg

Back