Grow Room "best" Carbon Filter?

GreenBean

Let's see what happens!
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I'm in the USA.

I know some people are going to mention a filter based on brand loyalty. But tbh, I've tried pretty much all of the mainstream filters by the "usual" suspects, and they all seem to work identically. Kind of leads me to believe that they're just white labeled filters made in the same couple of facilities and then rebranded with a logo badge slapped on them. Maybe the cheaper ones don't have any logo. Maybe the more expensive ones have better QC and customer support. I've never tried a really "expensive filter".

For instance - 6" Auertech ($50) vs 6" AC Infinity ($70) vs 6" iPower ($60) , they all perform identically and have the same lifespan. Same dimensions, pre-filters are interchangeable, etc etc. The only distinguishing feature in any of them is the iPower has little D hooks attached to the filter to make it easy to hang.

I was looking at the Terrabloom filters. They make a 6" in 16" length, which is basically the size of the others. And another 6" in 24" length. I was curious if anyone has tried a longer carbon filter and if it had a positive effect? Or any other recommendations for a filter brand. I'd prefer something that is more effective.

Last edited:
I never tried the TerraBloom, since I just recently switched to a window vent. But although they are pricier. Their carbon is listed as 46mm vs 38mm for the AC Infinity filter, and the other brands don't seem to list their carbon thickness. They even supply you with two pre-filters.

I noticed the same thing. I ended up with two AC infinity filters as they were in stock, relatively inexpensive. I ended up having to build my own secondary scrubber as I had a noticeable smell in my area which, I cannot have.

I filled a home depot bucket with carbon pellets and vent the post "in tent" filter exhaust through it. 0 smell now.

I never tried the TerraBloom, since I just recently switched to a window vent. But although they are pricier. Their carbon is listed as 46mm vs 38mm for the AC Infinity filter, and the other brands don't seem to list their carbon thickness. They even supply you with two pre-filters.

Yeah, I'm wondering if that and the extra 6" in length on the 24" Terra = more surface area = better odor scrubbing. I mean, obviously on paper it seems "better".

I've honestly never really worried about it much. But since the relocation, I am basically going seed to harvest in the house. My garage/shop only has doors on the street in full view of neighbors and while I'm legal, they don't need to be up in my business. So I just moved shit into the house. I'd like to have more effective filtering. Especially in the warmer months. I just don't want to spend the $$$ if it's a pipe dream. No pun intended.

Reactions: Feo
I noticed the same thing. I ended up with two AC infinity filters as they were in stock, relatively inexpensive. I ended up having to build my own secondary scrubber as I had a noticeable smell in my area which, I cannot have.

I filled a home depot bucket with carbon pellets and vent the post "in tent" filter exhaust through it. 0 smell now.

Do you have a photo of that setup? Sound fairly cheap and feasible to do.

Yeah, I'm wondering if that and the extra 6" in length on the 24" Terra = more surface area = better odor scrubbing. I mean, obviously on paper it seems "better".

I've honestly never really worried about it much. But since the relocation, I am basically going seed to harvest in the house. My garage/shop only has doors on the street in full view of neighbors and while I'm legal, they don't need to be up in my business. I'd like to have more effective filtering. Especially in the warmer months. I just don't want to spend the $$$ if it's a pipe dream. No pun intended.
As far as the 24" version, I would think more suction area could also mean lower fan settings are a possibility. They always say the slower you run your exhaust, the better it scrubs the air, which makes sense. The 24" filter's also have an increased CFM of 100+.

Last edited:
Oh AC also offers a 24" for $85 after applying the 15% coupon on Amazon.

I'm on baby tents and 4" system, the ~$35$ amazon filter has been fine and seems identical to the filter than cane with my SpiderFarmer tent kit from my local grow shop.

It is not cheap unfortunately. It does work fantastically. I'd say around $200 for the whole shebang. Most of that cost is the carbon pellets. Cheapest I've found is from carbonbulksales.com

You will need the 20lb bucket which is $114 + shipping

Basically a 5 gallon orange bucket and lid.
A 2' section of 4" PVC pipe down the center
Use a step drill bit to swiss cheese the bucket and the pipe
Hole saw the lid of the bucket and stick the pvc pipe through it
Wrap the inner pipe with a screen mesh
Wrap the bucket with screen mesh and I like to use one of those carbon pet "cut to size" furnace filters. It takes two for a standard 5 gal bucket - wrap them around the outside.
There are reducers and anlged bits so you can attach your flexible exhaust hose to the pipe.
Fill the bucket with pellets and secure the lid, attach your duct.

I copied this guide with some modifications:

Bucket_and_tube.jpg

Carbon_added1.jpg

It is not cheap unfortunately. It does work fantastically. I'd say around $200 for the whole shebang. Most of that cost is the carbon pellets. Cheapest I've found is from carbonbulksales.com

You will need the 20lb bucket which is $114 + shipping

Basically a 5 gallon orange bucket and lid.
A 2' section of 4" PVC pipe down the center
Use a step drill bit to swiss cheese the bucket and the pipe
Hole saw the lid of the bucket and stick the pvc pipe through it
Wrap the inner pipe with a screen mesh
Wrap the bucket with screen mesh and I like to use one of those carbon pet "cut to size" furnace filters. It takes two for a standard 5 gal bucket - wrap them around the outside.
There are reducers and anlged bits so you can attach your flexible exhaust hose to the pipe.
Fill the bucket with pellets and secure the lid, attach your duct.

I copied this guide with some modifications:

Bucket_and_tube.jpg

Carbon_added1.jpg
Thanks for the info.

Back