Best Carbon filter brands

Good point so there is value in going bigger fan filter form a decibal perspective. Pull more air out quietly. Many thanks
I went with a 6" filter on my 2x4 and found it great. I went with 6" rather than 4 to get longer filter life and less work for the fan. So far, the Vivosun filter has worked perfectly for two complete grows running about maybe six months or so in total. The filter may be winding down now, but I can't be sure yet as the current plants have not started stinking.

As to the noise at different fan levels, my experience may be a bit different than others. I find that the fan makes two sources of noise - the noise of air flow, and the noise of the motor itself. The higher the motor control setting, the higher the air noise, as one would expect. However, the motor noise is the opposite, at least it is with the PWM controller I am using. The motor makes far more noise on minimum than it does otherwise. The PWM controller seems to cause the motor to get noisier as the pulse width gets shorter to reduce fan speed. For some reason, the shorter pulse width to reduce fan speed causes more motor noise. YMMV, but don't necessarily assume that lower fan speed is less noisy if the fan location is a significant noise problem, like in a bedroom for example. :goodluck:

Back