Grow Mediums Auto’s on Auto-Pilot

So, it's happened again. Autopot Root blowout.

42414173685_2f21b71432_o.jpg

42414173705_d1fbe4c3d2_o.jpg

43268768542_bbcaf4d107_o.jpg

43268768922_89bd4d31c1_o.jpg

43268769022_46284d80ee_o.jpg

I am exchanging emails with Ask Josh (Manny Pelaez) currentlyt in an attempt to diagnose what I am doing wrong. Very frustrating. Just like they instructed me less than 12 months ago I set up the pots with the RCD copper side up in the pot. For this plant, I sliced off the roots, left the pot sock off and placed a second RCD (copper side up) in the tray. Add to that, the same PH or calcium issues as last grow....autopots may be on their last legs here at screwaugerville.

So, it's happened again. Autopot Root blowout.

View attachment 928584

View attachment 928585

View attachment 928586

View attachment 928587

View attachment 928588

I am exchanging emails with Ask Josh (Manny Pelaez) currentlyt in an attempt to diagnose what I am doing wrong. Very frustrating. Just like they instructed me less than 12 months ago I set up the pots with the RCD copper side up in the pot. For this plant, I sliced off the roots, left the pot sock off and placed a second RCD (copper side up) in the tray. Add to that, the same PH or calcium issues as last grow....autopots may be on their last legs here at screwaugerville.
In two years of growing with autopots I have never seen root blowout at the levels you have, but if memory serves I don’t have the yields you have either. I don’t even use their RCDs, I use plain weed barrier cloth purchased by the yard and cut to size. Never even thought about using pot socks. You make me wonder what I’m doing wrong, cause with that root growth the plants must be healthy, right?

Could you just trim the roots once every few days. If nothing else, it would be interesting to see how little/much that stresses a healthy autoflower. Plus I would think, the fine roots will eventually act as a barrier after a couple trimmings. I can’t wait to hear how your troubleshooting with Manny goes. With all the autopots they have out there in commercial applications they have to have seen this before, RIGHT? :rolleyes1:

I just purchased three gallon root pouch fabric pots and plan on doing my next autopot run using them instead of their pots. After seeing what they are doing with the XL trays and SmartPots I think it will work in the regular trays as well. I have to make Autopots work in my travel situation but when I retire I will probably go back to my roots with growing in DWC.

Blow-out in Maine. Just accept that you have deep roots.
:crying:

Wow! What is that! Is that the lighting or are those splotches on leaves that dark?

Honestly, as a relative newb, I have no idea what it is. I think it is calcium lockout/deficiency but that's an educated guess.

I've been using landscape fabric inside the pot at the bottom below the air domes. I ran out of the product from AP they supply. The landscape fabric I have seems stronger/better anyway. For the tray I'm using pot socks as well. No blowouts with this setup yet.

Are you using air domes?

Back