Im sitting here thinking about how I used to watch a buddy of mine grow when I was like 16. Lava rock in a tub with a feeder sticking up. No lid no nothing. So im sitting here thinking how I can make a more efficient Rdwc. Im thinking lava rock in the 5 gallon buckets. Airstones in each bucket of course. But using the lava rock would cut down on how much water I would have to use. It would block the light from the roots also. And would give the roots so many places to eat. What u all think?

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk
I'm sorry I'm clueless when comes to hydro... I never really ventured to that, almost once I did..but I changed back to coco.. I really like the little buffer coco has over hydro, plus IMO hydro certainly isn't any faster then coco,nor does it give bigger plants...really the thing seems expensive is res changes since feeding 5-20gals hydro is gonna use an awful lot of nutrients.. 3gal coco vs 3gal hydro, coco will come out on top ...harvest weight,speed,taste & cost efficiency. for me, I decided if I was ever to do hydro I would need extra pumps,timers etc because they dependent on them and if they died during grow basically your F**k'ed and I'd need battery backup for pumps.. this kinda why I prefer coco, I only need rely on me, not pumps...I think close as I will go to hydro is flood n drain, thats more up my alley. plus if pump died ya can always manual water.. Ya know keep it simple...I'm sure ya have back up lamps right? I know I have 5-6 MH lamps, 7-8 HPS lamps, 3-4 Red Sodium's, extra timers,cords...I try being prepared for any situation that arises. I log lamp hours on boxes & laptop so I know when it's time to swap them..then I keep the old ones for emergency backups... In last 3 years of growing only 1 time a lamp went out,prematurely...And it was under warranty so, I was sent replacement.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I'm clueless when comes to hydro... I never really ventured to that, almost once I did..but I changed back to coco.. I really like the little buffer coco has over hydro, plus IMO hydro certainly isn't any faster then coco,nor does it give bigger plants...really the thing seems expensive is res changes since feeding 5-20gals hydro is gonna use an awful lot of nutrients.. 3gal coco vs 3gal hydro, coco will come out on top ...harvest weight,speed,taste & cost efficiency. for me, I decided if I was ever to do hydro I would need extra pumps,timers etc because they dependent on them and if they died during grow basically your F**k'ed and I'd need battery backup for pumps.. this kinda why I prefer coco, I only need rely on me, not pumps...I think close as I will go to hydro is flood n drain, thats more up my alley. plus if pump died ya can always manual water.. Ya know keep it simple...I'm sure ya have back up lamps right? I know I have 5-6 MH lamps, 7-8 HPS lamps, 3-4 Red Sodium's, extra timers,cords...I try being prepared for any situation that arises. I log lamp hours on boxes & laptop so I know when it's time to swap them..then I keep the old ones for emergency backups... In last 3 years of growing only 1 time a lamp went out,prematurely...And it was under warranty so, I was sent replacement.
I just like a challenge a change keeps my mind moving

I just like a challenge a change keeps my mind moving

I can't help thinking bout different ways to do something . make it better. More efficient. The rock idea in the buckets is what I was thinking about when it came to the water volume. Why use all that water and all those nutes when u can reduce the volume with the rocks which will drastically reduce the nute consumption and will also make it 100 percent easier to keep cold

The babies are doing well I believe . three head looks exquisitely put together [emoji1]
8db17141cce69d299cc72308f6170a93.jpg
bde4070372edb724d3e1975a0b0ee02c.jpg

hey guys, Today I fed my babies..Everything looking good, one of the Duurty's doesn't seem be thriving as much as everything else, That one kinda started off little off, kinda dis-colored 1st set leave and actually lost cotyledons already, while all other's are still in fine shape.. I hope what's ever going on with it, that will be okay...I mean it's growing and all, Just to me it doesn't seem to be thriving as well as other 3 , both dragon's actually caught up to that one and passed it out. I hope a minor hiccup. I'm really thinking coco was little drier in that pot then others, it seemed very dry when I checked, other's were not so...so i'll see how everything looking by morning, the other 3 responded very well to there feed..

Last edited:
I bet it will be fine. Root could have hit a hunk if coco deep and slowed some. If anyone can get her thru it you can.

I bet it will be fine. Root could have hit a hunk if coco deep and slowed some. If anyone can get her thru it you can.
thanks bro, your kind to say that! I'm trying my very best, that's all I know.. If something happens I won't hold myself responsible.. I'm trying provide the very best environment I possibly can, Everything thriving so well, except that one, it's like a race car that stalled at starting line...All other's are lush & super healthy... That Duurty one just seemed stall out on me at start of 3rd set, I certainly didn't expect the Dragons to pass it out and by a lot too! I'll get some pics up later...This test grow, so I'm not gonna try fix problems I believe are not there...I'm really hoping it hit a dry spot in coco, the way it's acting makes me believe that.

Back