Grow Room Arty's PC Case CREE COB Micro Grow AS99

Thank you @Fuggzy brotha :bighug:

I like a challenge and growing in a small space like this will be just that a whole heap of fun too!
It would be perfect for doing a "Stunted" style Grow, i could probably get 20-30 tiny weeny little plants in there.
It was also a great little project to build too!
I had to turn the COB dow just to the point where it was about to shut off to take the pics.
I am loving the CREE CXB3590 and I am already planning two 12" x 12" 4 COB light in a square configuration for my main cad for later this year.
I'll have 1 1400mA driver on each but run them at 700mA (50%) for max efficiency.
I know I could just run 4 COBs in a straight line down the middle and save almost half the cost of the build.
My thinking is 8 cobs run @ 700mA is 60% photons to 40 % heat compared to 4 cobs run @ 1400mA and only getting 50% photons and 50% heat.
I am also thinking that the 8 COBs will give a more even spread of light right to the edges and running them @ a lower mA charge will also give me a better life length for the COBs and less drop off of efficiencey over time.
Another consideration is, I will be using passive pinned heat sink (rather than active cooling, which I am using currently) COBs run at a lower mA charge will be easier to cool and there will be twice as much area/mass to cool the chips too.
I am totally loving these CXB3590 CREE COBs they are a game changer for sure.
I know Grams per Watt is not a perfect way of measuring efficiency of output to weight of the crop but it is something we are all aware of and it is rough meter stick to measure by, all be it rather inaccurate but when you see Growmau5 getting nearly 2gpw, you sit up and take notice.
Thanks for visiting and taking time to comment, I know you'll be back soon!
Peace bro
Arty
This is what I love to see someone enjoying every minute of there grow I'm the exact same I love my hobby and with me being super stealth aswell it wasn't always like that because I couldn't tell anyone and when I smoked one with even a friend I hurt when they were like mmmm that's nice who u get that from and Id just say oh you know me never kiss n tell when in my head a voice is going Me me me but now I can show case on afn I love it

Oh Bailey how i know what your saying about telling mates that you got your bud from another mate, when really it is your weed.

Then they ask you if you can hook them up with your guy after saying "this weed is awesome", you wanna say "I know it's awesome, I grew it" but you just have to tell em "My guy is wary of new people and doesn't want new people coming round"!

It is a pain in the arse having to make up stories to cover your back but it is a necessary evil.

There are only 3 people who know I grow, my Lady, my brother and my growing mate (who let me finish my crop in his his house when the builder were due to start).

In all honesty I rather no one knew but these 3 people are solid gold and I have absolutely no concerns about them.

We are all over 40 years of age and have some life experience under our belts.

When I was in my twenties things were a whole lot different,I used hang around with multiple people going to raves and parties etc things were a lot more transient and back then the only person that knew was my girl friend at the time, who again was uttlerly trust worthy.

I seem to have a good sense of peoples trust worthyness along with a good moral compass, I don't like people knowing my business but sometimes it is unavoidable especially when it comes to girlfriends.

I am very fussy in who can be my girl friend, they have to meet all my criteria or it aint gonna happen.

I let the women in my life know if they ever ask me to choose between weed and them it will be the weed that wins everytime, so don't ask.

I don't want to come across as a dick but I love all aspects of weed and growing it is a major part of my life and so therefore they need to accept it is part of me.

There are people here in the forums who have wives who don't smoke/vape but don't mind their blokes having a smoke/vapes or mind them growing as a hobby, these ladies totally get my respect!!!

I have never had a girlfriend who didn't smoke/vape weed partly due to my criteria and count myself as blessed in that department.

Security and stealth are two of the most important aspects of my life for obvious reasons but also because I am a very private person and don't want all in sundry knowing my business even if I wasn't a grower.

Having said that, even if you take every precaution not to get caught sometimes it can happen due to unforeseen circumstances but the more precautions you take this event is less likely to happen, it's a matter of playing the odds & making them work in your advantage, by good planning and good security and keeping your mouth shut.

Peace Bro

Arty

Oh Bailey how i know what your saying about telling mates that you got your bud from another mate, when really it is your weed.

Then they ask you if you can hook them up with your guy after saying "this weed is awesome", you wanna say "I know it's awesome, I grew it" but you just have to tell em "My guy is wary of new people and doesn't want new people coming round"!

It is a pain in the arse having to make up stories to cover your back but it is a necessary evil.

There are only 3 people who know I grow, my Lady, my brother and my growing mate (who let me finish my crop in his his house when the builder were due to start).

In all honesty I rather no one knew but these 3 people are solid gold and I have absolutely no concerns about them.

We are all over 40 years of age and have some life experience under our belts.

When I was in my twenties things were a whole lot different,I used hang around with multiple people going to raves and parties etc things were a lot more transient and back then the only person that knew was my girl friend at the time, who again was uttlerly trust worthy.

I seem to have a good sense of peoples trust worthyness along with a good moral compass, I don't like people knowing my business but sometimes it is unavoidable especially when it comes to girlfriends.

I am very fussy in who can be my girl friend, they have to meet all my criteria or it aint gonna happen.

I let the women in my life know if they ever ask me to choose between weed and them it will be the weed that wins everytime, so don't ask.

I don't want to come across as a dick but I love all aspects of weed and growing it is a major part of my life and so therefore they need to accept it is part of me.

There are people here in the forums who have wives who don't smoke/vape but don't mind their blokes having a smoke/vapes or mind them growing as a hobby, these ladies totally get my respect!!!

I have never had a girlfriend who didn't smoke/vape weed partly due to my criteria and count myself as blessed in that department.

Security and stealth are two of the most important aspects of my life for obvious reasons but also because I am a very private person and don't want all in sundry knowing my business even if I wasn't a grower.

Having said that, even if you take every precaution not to get caught sometimes it can happen due to unforeseen circumstances but the more precautions you take this event is less likely to happen, it's a matter of playing the odds & making them work in your advantage, by good planning and good security and keeping your mouth shut.

Peace Bro

Arty
Spot on its funny because I only have three people aswell my girlfriend my mum and her partner but my mum grows aswell we keep each other ok and it's great because me and her share a love for this awsome hobby so it really brings us together.
My girlfriend only smokes at night after her work so instead of a glass of wine to relax she prefer a nice fat joint wich suites me just fine peace ✌

Deadmau5 has some great videos and very informative! Great job man, sounds like you definitely have a handle on the growing lol. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with a computer case! Subbed!

Deadmau5 has some great videos and very informative! Great job man, sounds like you definitely have a handle on the growing lol. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with a computer case! Subbed!

Hi Coffee&Kush, thanks for stopping by.

I think you must be thinking of "Growmau5", "Deadmau5" is a progressive house producer.
I have a little bit of experience growing weed over the last 25 years and have been green fingered since a young age growing vegetables & fruit, cannabis are the first flowers I was interested in growing.lol

It's great to have you along for the journey,I've never grown in such a small space before so it will be a fun challenge as she gets bigger to keep her constrained etc

It was my mate "Dazed" over @ Autoflower Portal who first introduced me to the CREE CXB3590 ,when we were chatting about me making the PC case cab.
Dazed also directed me to "Growmau5" & "Greengenes" youtube channels, those guys seriously know their onions when it come to COBs.
He has also built a 4 COB light bar from the Growmau5 4 COB kit from Cutter AU and has just cracked a bean or two, so I will be avidly following that grow too.

Brother @Fuggzy has also been a great help too giving me advice when I needed it!

I normally grow in a bigger space but due to "issues" I have shut that down and have gone micro until the dust settles.

I have already found a buyer for my old LEDs (2 x Eshine DS200's & 1 x Vipar B2X3 with a combined actual draw of 510W) and plan on using the money to build 2 X 4 COB lights (Growmau5 4 COB kits fro Cutter Electronics AU"

I'm selling the my LEDs to a mate for a nice price to a mate, which saves any messing around selling them on Ebay.

The sale will cover 50% of the build cost, I've had plenty of weed from them so the initial cost of them has been recouped many times over.

The Growmau5 4 COB kits come with a 1400mA CC(constant current) LED Drivers which will be dimmed to run @ 700mA which runs the COBs @ their highest efficiency @ 60% photons & 40% heat.
There is a trade off between running less COBs (lets say 4) @ 1400ma @ 50% photons & 50% heat and running more COBs (lets say 8) @ 700mA with an efficiency of 60% photons & 40% heat.
When running 4 COBs @ 1400ma the cost is lower for the chips. 4 CXB3590 @ £35 each comes to £140 compared to 8 COBs run @ 700mA and the higher cost 8 x CXB3590 @ £35 each comes to £280.

So Running 4 COBs @ 1400mA using 4 x anodised pinned passive heat sinks will mean they will be running hotter due to a greater mA drive and only have half the cooling mass compared to 8 COBs run @ 700mA wich will have 8 x passive heat sinks.
Both set ups will be drawing 200W ie 4 COB @ 1400mA = 200W and 8 COBs @ 700mA = 200W
The difference between the two set up in photons is, 4 COB @ 1400mA = 100W of photons & 100W heat and 8 COB @ 700mA is 120W photons & 80W heat.

This is why I would rather have 8 COBs running @ a lower mA drive, as they are running more efficiently giving me more photons, running cooler and have twice the passive thermal cooling mass and the chips should also last for a longer period of time due to the lower drive current.
There is a trade off as I said in monetary terms in order to run the chips @700mA so they run more efficiently you need to double the number of COBs which double the cost of buying the COBs whcih aren't cheap.

I want as many photons as possible when I am drawing power from the wall and so I am willing to swallow the extra cost of buying more COBs and the additional cost to do this.
The two 4 COB lights I plan to build will be in a square configuration (as compared to growmau5 linear grow bars) and will be 12" x 12", this will give me greater flexability being able to raise them independently, hang them both at 45% etc If I want (lets say if I am growing a single large plant that is tall) or if I have a perpetual grow and half the cab are taller plants and the other half shorter plants as well as other possible grow scenarios.
Starting up my old cab is some way off so there is no real hurry to build the new lights straight away & it will be hopefully in the autumn when I start building them.
So in the meantime lets see what one CXB3590 COB can do in a micro cab,
I am really looking forward to the rest of this grow and the challenges that may present themselves along the way.
Peace

Arty

Last edited:
Strain - Amnesia Stone99
Breeder - Stone
Purchased from - Autoflower Portal Gift Shop

Strain Description
Amnesia Stone99
Amnesia Stone99 is a cross matching a sweet pineapple/musky Stone99 and its classic potent cerebral high with the powerful body hit of Amnesia Stone. Medium size plant with strong lateral branches. Expect colour change at late bloom to purple and black.

Aromas: Haze, Earthy, Floral, Pepper, Hash, Citrus, Spice, Sour, Pineapple, Lemon, Orange, Woody, Mandarin, Sweet Orange juice, Bitter Honey, Skunk, Eucalyptus

Grinder – Lemonade, Ginger, Honey, Blossom, Orange, Synthetic Pine

Joint – Spicy Orange, Bitter Floral, Earthy Amnesia Tone, Dark Wood

Vape – Oak, Earthy Woody Tone, Shisha Tobacco like Molasses, Bitter

Effects – Cerebral, Behind eyes and temples, Energetic, Slowed thoughts, Anti-Stress, Anti-Anxiety, Blood circulation, Sleeping aid.

Joint – Low Dose: Warming, Mood enhancer, Still heavy behind the eyes, Sociable Smoke; High Dose: Zombifying, Knockout stone

Vape – Low Dose: Warming behind the eyes, Buzzy, Slowed reactions and thoughts; High Dose: Dizzying, Drunk-like feeling

Amnesia Stone 99’s dominant flavours are a lovely freshly squeezed, sweet orange juice tone held together by a bitter honey and flowery blossom bouquet. There is a touch of spice which come through on the exhale and a hashy undertone that followed which makes the whole thing just a joy to vape or smoke.

Reported medical benefits of Amnesia Stone99: RLS relief, sleep aid, anti-anxiety and anti-depressant effects

Propagation equipment

• Shot glass
  • Rootit rooting sponge
  • maxicrop plant growth stimulator
  • Ph'd water
  • Hygrometer

Main Equipment

• 10 Cm Square pot
  • Blue lab truncheon EC meter
  • Ph pen + calibration powers
  • TDS pen
  • Thermometer/hygrometer
  • Various sundries jugs, beakers, dosing syringes, de-ionized water for rinsing meter probes.

Substrates,nutrients & amendments

• Canna coco Professional + (with Trichoderma ) 80%
  • Perlite 20%
  • Greenhouse powder feed (Short Flowering)
  • Hydro coco PK boost (PK13-14)
  • Density Cal-Mag Pro -1ml per liter
  • Molasses - blacstrap
  • Dutch Pro PH + (Up)
  • Dutch Pro PH - (Down Grow)
  • Dutch Pro PH - (Down Bloom)
  • Root Grow - Mycorrhizae
* Trichoderma - A group of related fungus. Most Trichoderma protect the plant against harmful fungi. This is because they eat other fungi. There are also 'bad' Trichoderma that eat beneficial fungi.

The PC Tower Cab

Dimensions

H - 62 Cm
W -19 Cm
D - 42 Cm

Inside the Cab

Neoprene sound insulation (Self Adhesive)
Diamond Mylar (Double sided carpet tape used to attach to neoprene)
1 x 230v Bi Sonic fan
1 x 230v Sunon fan
1 x DIY CXB3590 CREE COB Grow light, 36v chip , 50W max output when run @ 1400 mA
1 x DIY Micro Carbon Filter
1 x MeanWell HLG-60H-24B Constant Current LED Drivere rated @ 1400 mA Dimmable
1 x 100K Potentiometer (Dimmer)
1 x 12v 1A power supply for the LED heat sink fan

Cab Pics

DSCN2695.JPG

Side view looking inside

DSCN2750 (FILEminimizer).JPG

Front

DSCN2751 (FILEminimizer).JPG

Back

DSCN2699 (FILEminimizer).JPG

Cob and Filter in cab

DSCN2703 (FILEminimizer).JPG

Micro DIY Filte and CREE CXB3590 COB LED in cab

DIY Micro Filter

DSCN2603 (FILEminimizer).JPG

Looking into the air way in the DIY Micro Carbon Filter

DSCN2604 (FILEminimizer).JPG

DIY Micro Carbon Filter

DIY CREE CXB3590 COB LED

DSCN2566 (FILEminimizer).JPG

Last edited:
DSCN2721.JPG
DSCN2728.JPG
DSCN2724.JPG
DSCN2723.JPG
DSCN2722.JPG
DSCN2746.JPG

I didn't feed my seedling for 13 days and relied on the nutrients contained in the cotyledons, this was an experimental move to try and reduce lush growth by feeding high nitrogen ferts too soon , as I wanted to try and keep her small as I only have a limited amount of space.

After 13 day had passed I noticed there was definite N def and the leaves were starting to look pale.

I started feeding @ 1,1EC and @ 5.6 PH, I grow in Canna Coco Pro 80% with Perlite 20% I also started foliar spraying with the same strength nutes as I feed with.

She responed well to this feeding regime and soon started to get back to normal green colour.

I have now raised the EC to 1.3 EC and the PH to PH 5.8.

She continuing to grow but remains diminutive/petite but is putting on growth & and height albeit with very tight internode spacing.

Amnesia Stone is know for growing fairly tall so the challenge is to keep her controlled and where ever possible of a relatively small stature.

I'm still not sure entirely how I'm gonna grow her but lst training techniques will come in to play at some point but if she remains small then i may not need to to fim or top.

Today I noticed her first pistil although I wa hard to see properly, I keep checking over the next few days.

One of the methods I employ when growing in my full sized cab is a method called "Stunting" maybe not the best name for a grow technique but it works great.

The only point where it actually stunts growth is in the stretch phaze, this keeps the plants small and stocky but they have fantastic buds, the plants in fact almost totally bud.

The method is to transplant the plant which have been grown in 1liter pots until first signs of sex (pistils) they are then transplanted to 7.5 liter pots.

So the 1 liter pots keep growth restricted in veg and the trans plantation to the larger 7.5 liter pots at sex causes transplant shock right at the moment when Stretch is about to take place.

So whilst the plant is taking care of the transplant shock it doesn't stretch :) but it soon recovers and grows as normal just shorter which mean greater light penetration.

Another technique which I use at the same time is 24 hr constant temps, I simply do this by 24/7 light. No dark period means no temp fluctuation.

This technique can also be used with a 18/6 light/dark grow or in fact any lighting regime by simply heating the space thermostatically in the dark period.

Why does constant temps help? Well when the lights go off the temps drop. The greater the difference between light on and lights off the greater amount of stretch you will get!

Constant temps mean less stretch.

I am growing much smaller but the techniques remain the same, seeing as I'm in a right tight grow space, I'm not sure if I'm goon go to a bigger pot or not.

If I stay in the small pot I may just shock the roots gently to stop stretch or I may think sod it and go to a larger pot.

This is the first time I have ever grown so small, so even though I can use familiar techniques if I need to keep her small/stocky I may find I push to hard one way or another.

Once I have grown in this cab a few time I'm sure I could get it dialled in nicely.

Everyday is an adventure and a journey where I not sure how it will end, will I get it spot on ?? It could go either way maybe I grow her too small , maybe she will get to big, we will see and I will have to cut my cloth accordingly.

Thanks for stopping by

Arty

Strain - Amnesia Stone99
Breeder - Stone
Purchased from - Autoflower Portal Gift Shop

Strain Description

To Follow..........

Propagation equipment

• Shot glass
  • Rootit rooting sponge
  • maxicrop plant growth stimulator
  • Ph'd water
  • Hygrometer

Main Equipment

• 10 Cm Square pot
  • Blue lab truncheon EC meter
  • Ph pen + calibration powers
  • TDS pen
  • Thermometer/hygrometer
  • Various sundries jugs, beakers, dosing syringes, de-ionized water for rinsing meter probes.

Substrates,nutrients & amendments

• Canna coco Professional + (with Trichoderma ) 80%
  • Perlite 20%
  • Greenhouse powder feed (Short Flowering)
  • Hydro coco PK boost (PK13-14)
  • Density Cal-Mag Pro -1ml per liter
  • Molasses - blacstrap
  • Dutch Pro PH + (Up)
  • Dutch Pro PH - (Down Grow)
  • Dutch Pro PH - (Down Bloom)
  • Root Grow - Mycorrhizae
* Trichoderma - A group of related fungus. Most Trichoderma protect the plant against harmful fungi. This is because they eat other fungi. There are also 'bad' Trichoderma that eat beneficial fungi.

The PC Tower Cab

Dimensions

H - 62 Cm
W -19 Cm
D - 42 Cm

Inside the Cab

Neoprene sound insulation (Self Adhesive)
Diamond Mylar (Double sided carpet tape used to attach to neoprene)
1 x 230v Bi Sonic fan
1 x 230v Sunon fan
1 x DIY CXB3590 CREE COB Grow light, 36v chip , 50W max output when run @ 1400 mA
1 x DIY Micro Carbon Filter
1 x MeanWell HLG-60H-24B Constant Current LED Drivere rated @ 1400 mA Dimmable
1 x 100K Potentiometer (Dimmer)
1 x 12v 1A power supply for the LED heat sink

Cab Pics

View attachment 590113
Side view looking inside

View attachment 590114
Front

View attachment 590115
Back

View attachment 590116
Cob and Filter in cab

View attachment 590117
Micro DIY Filte and CREE CXB3590 COB LED in cab

DIY Micro Filter

View attachment 590118
Looking into the air way in the DIY Micro Carbon Filter

View attachment 590119
DIY Micro Carbon Filter

DIY CREE CXB3590 COB LED

View attachment 590123
excellent design welcome back to growing subbed up from here on oh and a nice :slap: for the cab and light :pass:

Back