Indoor Animal cookies & Purple punch x Dosidos

Thanks @Shrederr @Iriee Vibez - either of you tried fimming before as thinking about giving it a go but dont really know what I'm doing!

I just take the two new fan leaves that come out with the top stem. I find that it slows the top but not the plants. I end up with a bushy plant. As the top slows and the next three nodes catch up it makes for a very nice plant to LST. Keeping the lights at the right distance so the top doesn’t stretch to much on its own also helps me a lot. I enjoy this method because we know DWC runs longer and I don’t want to slow them down even a bit.

Just offering an alternative, not saying one works better than the other. We’ve all tried different methods and have our favorites.

FB
:vibes:

Personally, I prefer topping also. Fimming has had unpredictable outcomes in terms of plant structure for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I just take the two new fan leaves that come out with the top stem. I find that it slows the top but not the plants. I end up with a bushy plant. As the top slows and the next three nodes catch up it makes for a very nice plant to LST. Keeping the lights at the right distance so the top doesn’t stretch to much on its own also helps me a lot. I enjoy this method because we know DWC runs longer and I don’t want to slow them down even a bit.

Just offering an alternative, not saying one works better than the other. We’ve all tried different methods and have our favorites.

FB
:vibes:
Thanks Frenjy!
So do you just leave about 25% of the new growth intact and do you do it after the 4th node like topping or a little later?
I wanted to give this a shot as last time I topped it properly slowed down my girl, so much so that all the other branches took over the 2 branches which were supposed to be the 2 new main colas, didnt work out well!

Personally, I prefer topping also. Fimming has had unpredictable outcomes in terms of plant structure for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Seems like the perfect time to fim 1 plant and top the other to see which I prefer!

Thanks Frenjy!
So do you just leave about 25% of the new growth intact and do you do it after the 4th node like topping or a little later?
I wanted to give this a shot as last time I topped it properly slowed down my girl, so much so that all the other branches took over the 2 branches which were supposed to be the 2 new main colas, didnt work out well!

I really like to wait until the plant is big enough that I feel comfortable taking leaves. Depending upon strain it might be the fourth or fifth node or it might be until it’s 8” around etc. if the first two nodes are already pushing good sized leaves and spreading out then it’s a go. On the main stalk I take the two fans just as soon as they actually open up and you can see the three leaves. Had to be at least a 1/4” to get at so you can snip it. But I also want that main to have the next two leaves also so it doesn’t get stunted. As each new node pops I do the same and it seems to take enough energy away that the other nodes catch up.

As the plant is growing in those first few weeks I then begin taking the inward facing fan leaf from the lower nodes to open the light and to keep them stretching out. The first two nodes branches will be easy to pull out and LST at that point and the rest as the day is history.

I find that my lights have enough penetration that I don’t need to obsess over a perfectly flat canopy and I live growing bushes.

I’ve got a grow journal in New Growers if you haven’t seen my hack job growing techniques.

I agree. I will enjoy watching the experiment! Might even change my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I really like to wait until the plant is big enough that I feel comfortable taking leaves. Depending upon strain it might be the fourth or fifth node or it might be until it’s 8” around etc. if the first two nodes are already pushing good sized leaves and spreading out then it’s a go. On the main stalk I take the two fans just as soon as they actually open up and you can see the three leaves. Had to be at least a 1/4” to get at so you can snip it. But I also want that main to have the next two leaves also so it doesn’t get stunted. As each new node pops I do the same and it seems to take enough energy away that the other nodes catch up.

As the plant is growing in those first few weeks I then begin taking the inward facing fan leaf from the lower nodes to open the light and to keep them stretching out. The first two nodes branches will be easy to pull out and LST at that point and the rest as the day is history.

I find that my lights have enough penetration that I don’t need to obsess over a perfectly flat canopy and I live growing bushes.

I’ve got a grow journal in New Growers if you haven’t seen my hack job growing techniques.
Excellent description, that helps alot!
I was following your dirty water culture Meph grow a while back, is it a continuation of that diary or a new one? Anyway I will head over to the new growers forum and check it out!

I agree. I will enjoy watching the experiment! Might even change my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In that case I shall be the Guinea pig but these 2 girls are vigorous and I'm to late to top at 4th node so will have to be the 5th

Back