Outdoor Almost there! Questions before starting my first outdoor grow

J

jacktheripper17000

I posted a thread a few months ago trying to gauge where to start my first outdoor grow. Now, after a few setbacks, a move across country, and a busy college schedule, I'm ready to get back into the grind.

Here's what I'm working with...

My plot is outdoors, nestled into a nice rock-face in the Appalachian mountains. It gets a lot of sunlight and I've removed the underbrush and worked a little with the soil. I'm not worried about people messing with the sight. It is very far away from civilization, on private property, and hard to get to.

Here's what I'm worried about...:cry:

- I will be germinating and growing my plants (4-6 plants) in small peat-pots before transfer to the plot. However, once planted in the ground I won't be able to check on them, water them, care for them, ANYTHING, until I return to harvest.

Before I make the investment I'd like have an idea of the outcome of my project. So, here are my few questions:
- Is this possible!?
- Do you guys think I can make this work? I've looked into some auto-watering processes and think I can work out watering, but my little plants will be left to the great-wilderness to fend for themselves.
- Do I need to worry about mold, mites, or any other natural phenomenon destroying my bud-quality?
- Will a simple chicken-wire fence protect from most predators?

I'm planning on planting in mid-April. Frost shouldn't be a problem at this particular spot as the elevation is relatively low and temps should range from a about 50-60 degrees.

You shouldn't have to worry about water till mid June if you plant in the ground. Unless its a drought. I have done a lot of growing in the Appalachia mountains

I have had problems with slugs early spring. Chicken wire can def. keep the critters out. An all purpose fert. Can go a long way.

Having done my share of remote grows, I can't help but be a little skeptical. Chicken wire will keep the small animals out but it won't stop deer. Biggest problem I always had was spider mites. The only way I could keep them under control was weekly sprayings of insecticidal soap. I also did monthly sprayings of Liquid Fence Deer repellent to keep them away.

How about planting more than you need then just thin them out in July - that way if you do lose some plants to the wilds it aint so bad ! I usually grow them for a month indoors then they have a better chance of survival i think - also pick a hardy plant, one that you know has been a hit in your area for someone else. Even the plants described as being most resiliant to mould or indestructive by insects in one country might get its arse kicked in your area !
Mother nature usually delivers so go for it and good luck

Thanks for the advice guys! Really helpful.

Another question I had: I'm planning on spraying a delicate soap/insecticide mixture on the plants once they're planted, but what are the negative effects of spider mites,other mites and slugs? I know they cause damage but I'm interested in what kind of damage. Also, once a plant has mites can you get rid of them without destroying the bud quality or damaging the flowering process?

I was thinking about spacing 10-12 plants across my plot (probably 20 sq. feet). Do you think this gives me a fair chance of having a solid amount of bud come mid-June? I'm hoping to have at least 6 mature plants when I return.

Again, thanks a lot, without you guys this would be a fleeting thought not a current project!

Hail storm totally kicked my ass one year, flood another, males to many times to count...

"set it and forget method" huh?

maybe dig down several feet and lay down some plastic as a liner add a bunch of soaking wet peat to retain water and help feed the plant while your away

spray your soil and plants with neem before you leave to keep the insects, spidermites and other pests from eating them while you away

...I'm just warning you, when you do this nothing is guaranteed. checking on your plant is a must.

Oh yeah, you better make sure you use feminized seed or else "if the ganja does succeed" you'll end up having seedy shwag, I've pulled 10 males in the last week I almost screwed myself by not checking em for a few days, when I did check them today the males pollen sacks where more than. If I had waited a couple more days they would have dropped nut all over my females.

Back