AFN welcomes Horticulture Lighting Group!

I believe the DLI for Cannabis is closer to 60 DLI
I always thought this was the case also.

I tend to focus on 20DLI for seedlings, 40DLI for Veg, 60DLI for Flower as my foundation, and change based on what the plants are saying. I used the Photone app that @Kyote recommended to set my DLI (free app, but need the 5.99 upgrade for LED reads). I've seen great results so far. Would love to hear what other growers do.

I believe the DLI for Cannabis is closer to 60 DLI

See this is where I get confused. According to the PPFD table posted above, HLG recommends 800 PPFD for flowering cannabis without supplemental CO2. But according to PPFD to DLI conversion charts, 800 PPFD at a 12 hour photoperiod light cycle corresponds to a DLI of 35 DLI. This is more in line with that 40-45 DLI limit I read about if you're not supplementing CO2.

My approach would be as follows, "I'm running 18/6 light cycle, so I want a DLI that corresponds to an 800 PPFD at 12/12, so I'll use the DLI to PPFD chart, which tells me to aim for ~600 PPFD @ 18/6.

Again, still relatively new to this so I'd love to hear what everyone has to say about this! Should I be aiming for consistent PPFD/DLI levels, regardless of light cycle duration?

Happy growing,

tronN00dles

Last edited:
An expert in lighting science, I am not. So any information that you find and share here will be much appreciated!

See this is where I get confused. According to the PPFD table posted above, HLG recommends 800 PPFD for flowering cannabis without supplemental CO2. But according to PPFD to DLI conversion charts, 800 PPFD at a 12 hour photoperiod light cycle corresponds to a DLI of 35 DLI. This is more in line with that 40-45 DLI limit I read about if you're not supplementing CO2.

My approach would be as follows, "I'm running 18/6 light cycle, so I want a DLI that corresponds to an 800 PPFD at 12/12, so I'll use the DLI to PPFD chart, which tells me to aim for ~600 PPFD @ 18/6.

Again, still relatively new to this so I'd love to hear what everyone has to say about this! Should I be aiming for consistent PPFD/DLI levels, regardless of light cycle duration?

Happy growing,

tronN00dles

Those dimmers are super sensitive, I have a killawatt plugged into mine and just the slightest movement can jump the wattage by 100❗ But towards the end of the dial it’s not sensitive at all. Super strange… I would highly recommend a killawatt as well. Just for reference

i have a killawatt, but I used it just to measure my consumption of each device so I could figure out if I was overloading any circuits (also came in handy when I had to run my stuff off a generator thanks to a certain winter storm power catastrophe in February). Do you leave your light plugged into your killawatt, long-term?

i have a killawatt, but I used it just to measure my consumption of each device so I could figure out if I was overloading any circuits (also came in handy when I had to run my stuff off a generator thanks to a certain winter storm power catastrophe in February). Do you leave your light plugged into your killawatt, long-term?

My HLG's are plugged into my wattmeters 24/7. I keep my voltage potentiometers on max, and adjust my current limiting potentiometers as required. They certainly are sensitive, but I've kind of gotten used on how to adjust them rather precisely. Sometimes if I'm short <10 watts or so, its just a matter of having my screwdriver in place, then pulling it out with barely a whisper of rotation to get it to increase a few watts or so lol. Definitely takes a bit of practice, but all good!

-tronN00dles

Happy growing,

tronN00dles
You will know when your girls are hitting their particular DLI. If you have your cycle so you can see the end of the light cycle if the begin to slightly droop from the days praying.

I gather from the specs that the 650R is a flamethrower!!! Do you only run 100% in open space with the light way off the tops? If you have a 350R, do the same rules apply or is it not quite so hot?

Can confirm 650R in a 4x4 is borderline insane. Great way to learn about DLI though......

For those who say "LED lights can't burn your leaves" or something like that? LOL
My first grow, I started getting leaf discoloration when DLI went above 40. Going to keep everyone at 40 max this grow and see how they do.

If u want a way to know DLI without doing guesswork based off what your meter tells u that you’re using from the wall (will never be even with what light is putting out) then I recommend Photone app if on iOS! The dude from migro light tested it against a true apogee quantum sensor and on LED full spectrum was almost identical! Only time it’s a smidge off is if using white + red diodes and then u multiply it by 1.12 I think it was! It’s all on his Instagram page! It’s $5 to unlock the full spectrum meter on it for life! U can use that for ppfd and DLI or if white/red you can take it and multiply and then enter into their DLI calculator so u know what your lights putting out! It lets u select 12/18/24 for your light cycle before it measures and calculates it!

Just food for thought!:d5:

Back