AFN welcomes Horticulture Lighting Group!

Low light levels for seedlings is a myth. Run it at 50% , 24 inches above the seedlings. as they grow, keep it 24" above the plants. In veg and flower run it at 75% unless you plan to run CO2, then you can run full power. I'm running a 650R at about 70% ( 400 watts ) start to finish and it works very well. Make sure that the light never touches the top of the tent, it will trap heat, keep at least 4 inches of clearance.

Greetings to all, first-time grower here who just signed up because I found this thread! I choose to go with the 600 R spec for a 4 x 4 tent to grow 4 autoflowers and I'm kind of in the dark (no pun intended) with my light and how to get the most out of this beauty! The only real directions regarding height and distance that I've been able to ascertain so far was an e-mailed response from HLG that someone posted on another forum with the following guidelines: 38" at 10% (60W) for seedlings; 32" at 50% (300W) for veg and 18-24" at 100% (600W) for flower. I suppose the first question I have is does that sound right and 2nd should it be a gradual progression to get thru the various weeks/stages to eventually wind up at 100% power. My first instinct is say yes on both, I just wonder how gradual the increase needs to be, at this point I'm planning on letting the girls dictate what they seem to like but I'd love to cut down on the experimentation and guesswork. I feel really good with the choice to go with HLG and this light in particular and I'm really looking forward to getting invaluable feedback from everyone, great to be here and thanks in advance for anyone's help and insight!

Low light levels for seedlings is a myth. Run it at 50% , 24 inches above the seedlings. as they grow, keep it 24" above the plants. In veg and flower run it at 75% unless you plan to run CO2, then you can run full power. I'm running a 650R at about 70% ( 400 watts ) start to finish and it works very well. Make sure that the light never touches the top of the tent, it will trap heat, keep at least 4 inches of clearance.
Top info dude :d5: :crying:

Any idea what the corresponding PPFD and/or DLI levels are for this?

Thanks so much, very useful info!

I gather from the specs that the 650R is a flamethrower!!! Do you only run 100% in open space with the light way off the tops? If you have a 350R, do the same rules apply or is it not quite so hot?

welcome!! :baked: :pimp: :dizzy: :smoking: :haha:

Greetings to all, first-time grower here who just signed up because I found this thread! I choose to go with the 600 R spec for a 4 x 4 tent to grow 4 autoflowers and I'm kind of in the dark (no pun intended) with my light and how to get the most out of this beauty! The only real directions regarding height and distance that I've been able to ascertain so far was an e-mailed response from HLG that someone posted on another forum with the following guidelines: 38" at 10% (60W) for seedlings; 32" at 50% (300W) for veg and 18-24" at 100% (600W) for flower. I suppose the first question I have is does that sound right and 2nd should it be a gradual progression to get thru the various weeks/stages to eventually wind up at 100% power. My first instinct is say yes on both, I just wonder how gradual the increase needs to be, at this point I'm planning on letting the girls dictate what they seem to like but I'd love to cut down on the experimentation and guesswork. I feel really good with the choice to go with HLG and this light in particular and I'm really looking forward to getting invaluable feedback from everyone, great to be here and thanks in advance for anyone's help and insight!
Here is a chart that will help telling you approximately how many lux a plant is happiest with. This can vary a little from plant to plant. With this knowledge and a decent quality Lux Meter you will have your lights dialed in all the time which greatly benefits your plants and your grow. Below the simple chart is a photo of the Lux meter I use. Price is $35-$40 depending where you buy it.

HOW MUCH LIGHT DO YOUR CANNABIS PLANTS REQUIRE?
  • Clones and seedlings: 5,000–7,000 lux
  • Vegetative growth: 15,000–50,000 lux
  • Flowering: 45,000–65,000 lux
  • Maximum recommended amount of light: 75,000 lux
View media item 24284
Hope that proves to be helpful/useful information.

The 650R and the Scorpion Diablo are commercial light and many commercial growers hang their lights high. In a tent it's overkill to run the full power unless your enhancing with CO2. You want 800-900 PPF at the canopy max in a tent when not using CO2. After that point, the curve flattens and there is little gain. I'm getting 1000+ with my Diablo light running at 70% ( 400 watts ).
Each Diablo boards is the equivalent of 2 1/4 QB 288s in LED count! So a 650R is equal to NINE QB 288!

The 350R is a powerful light so run it high or run it soft!

I gather from the specs that the 650R is a flamethrower!!! Do you only run 100% in open space with the light way off the tops? If you have a 350R, do the same rules apply or is it not quite so hot?

Back