Indoor AB Fills the Tent!

Off to a good start, glad to hear you get to enjoy our beloved hobby again. I can relate to the nightmare of unfinished basements in the Northeast. Winter and summer are a major pain. Its time for the weather to act like spring.

Subbed

Morning friends,

Just got back from snapping some pics of the ladies, so time for another update. The big word around here right now is cold. Well below freezing the last couple of nights and tonight is forecast to be the same. But thankfully I see a warm up on the horizon so maybe this is the last shot of winter. With the lights down low and the warm mist humidifier running, I've been keeping the humidity in the 50%-60% range and temps around 65-75. The hassle with that is the humidifier needs to be refilled with water every 12-18 hours, so I've been trying my best to keep it from running out. When I opened the tent this morning it was empty for the first time in days and conditions were 57 degrees and 37% humidity. Not great but I was actually pleasantly surprised given the fact that ambient temps outside my tent are in the upper 40s.

Despite the less than ideal conditions, the plants are making good progress. They're a bit short but I've had to keep the lights very close and running 24/7 for warmth. When it warms up I may raise the light and stretch them a bit, but my goal is always to have short, fat girls. :grin: On day 8 I gave the first feeding and the response has been good. I have used GO nutes before but this is the first time I have run the entire lineup. It's a bit of a bit of a pain to mix up 6 different products, but since I have the whole box set I want to see the results from using them all. I also went with the full week 1 dose as recommended by GO rather than cutting it down. I went too light on these nutes last time, and after doing a lot of research, it seems that the best results are coming from growers who are more on the aggressive side. I am confident that I have a healthy soil environment, so I will keep up the full strength feedings until the plants tell me I'm wrong. With an organic grow the microherd will buffer the pH in the root zone, but I still use some organic pH up for my own piece of mind. The solution was 6.5 and runoff was between 6.35 and 6.55 on all pots, so I'm very happy with the pH of the Sunshine Advanced #4. I added nothing to it and it's right on the money. On to the pics!

Day 10:

View attachment 336250

View attachment 336251

Magnum - This one is slow going, but it is in a 3g pot while the others are all in 2g. Hopefully it will take off soon. It's also a bit lighter green in color, so I may need to get her some extra food in the future.

View attachment 336256

TD - She's right in the middle as far as size goes. Probably the prettiest of the bunch as far as being symmetrical with well formed leaves.

View attachment 336257

WW - This one has really responded to the nutes and has doubled in size over the last couple of days.

View attachment 336258

Cobra - After lagging behind the rest from the start, there has finally been some good growth in recent days. She's ridiculously short at a bit over an inch tall right now, so she's due to stretch out any day now.

View attachment 336260

SMR - The Sweet Mango Ryder is twice the size of the next largest plant and looking great. I love WOS gear and I hope this one turns out as tasty & potent as the Pakistan Ryder and Afghan Kush Ryders I've grown in the past.

View attachment 336261

DD - This little dragon has a face only a mother could love. :grin: I have left it in the original small pot for now until I see some signs of vigorous growth. Hopefully I will be able to get the dragons outdoors for good in the next few weeks.

View attachment 336262

MD1 - Both the Magic Dragons were transplanted to a 3g nursery pot with Happy Frog soil a few days ago. Unfortunately I broke off several inches of tap root from one of them, but otherwise they're doing fine. MD1 is still the biggest plant in the tent and her Black Dragon genetics are already showing."Bailers Booya"

View attachment 336273

View attachment 336275

MD2 - Looking a bit worse for wear but still growing OK. I'm guessing this is the one with the broken tap root, since the other MD has really left it behind.

View attachment 336278

Thanks for checking in, everyone! :thank:

Looking GREAT! I have a WOS Sugar Mango Ryder just about finishing, looks and smells delicious!

Karma for your grow!

Off to a good start, glad to hear you get to enjoy our beloved hobby again. I can relate to the nightmare of unfinished basements in the Northeast. Winter and summer are a major pain. Its time for the weather to act like spring.

Subbed

Thanks, SB. Yeah, the weather has really thrown me for a loop this 'spring' and I've been dealing with another little issue in recent days. Working on an update right now.

Looking GREAT! I have a WOS Sugar Mango Ryder just about finishing, looks and smells delicious!
Karma for your grow!

Thanks, dazed! I am a big fan of Pakistan Ryder and Afghan Kush Ryder, so I'm glad to be completing the trilogy. :smoke:

Here we go with another peek into the tent. Hopefully this will be the last time I bitch about the weather, at least until it gets hot enough that I'm cursing the heat. :no: It's been the coldest March in decades around here, and I'm glad to turn the page to April. Temps in the 60s and 70s this week so the girls should all be much happier. Things are cruising along fairly well, though the low temps have definitely been impeding the growth somewhat. But just in the last day or so that I've had temps in the 70s inside the tent, I've seen a big improvement. They're all still ground huggers due to the cold and me needing to keep the lights right on them for warmth, but I expect them to shoot up quite a bit in the next week.

The other thing worth mentioning is that I've been dealing with some problems with a few of the plants. A few days after feeding last week, I started seeing some light chlorosis and spotting. It seemed unlikely that there was a deficiency going on, since they'd had a full regimen of nutes and cal/mg. I thought it may be cold roots affecting nutrient uptake but ruled that out since I never had the tent drop down into the 40s. It's sometimes tough to identify a problem in the early stages, so this took a bit of work. For the sake of newer growers who may be reading this, here's the process I used:

1. Don't panic - rushing into a 'solution' when you don't know what the problem is can often make things much worse. Flushing, dumping nutes into the plants, kicking your dog - none of these are necessarily helpful and you will probably regret it later.

2. Rule out environmental factors - in my case, other than cold temps, things were OK. No pests, humidity problems, inadequate lighting, etc.

Check soil conditions - I'm using a proven, quality soil mix with organic nutes. pH is much less critical with organic growing, but I still tested my runoff at the previous feeding and all pots were within 6.3-6.5.

Overfeeding or underfeeding? I am using a soil mix with no amendments, so these plants needed some food during week two. They were given a feeding and responded well initially with no sign of burn (it's very hard to burn with organic nutes anyway).

5. At this point I must have some sort of deficiency OR lockout issue. Given the fact that I know these plants have been given everything they need at their age, I am ruling out deficiency. Must be a lockout issue, but either way the plant is not getting all proper nutrients and I have to find out which ones are missing.

Determine whether your deficiency/lockout is mobile or immobile - mobile nutrients travel quickly through the plant so issues are spotted first on older growth. Immobile nutrients travel slowly so older growth will look fine while new growth suffers. In my case, all irregularities were on new growth so I knew I was looking for an immobile nutrient deficiency/lockout.

7. Confer with some of my AFN master grower mates (or visit the infirmary) and research the heck out of it - as things developed it started to look more and more like a calcium lockout, which was puzzling given the fact that my soil mix contains dolomite lime and I just gave a dose of cal/mg with the feeding. But as these things often go, it could also be a lack of zinc or a couple other micronutrients.

8. Take action with foliar treatments until the problem can be resolved in the soil - I gave a light solution of FloraMicro which contains some N to green things up, a good shot of calcium, and loads of other micronutes that the plants need. That way if I misdiagnosed the deficiency/lockout, hopefully the correct thing would be in there. I used 1/4 of the recommended amount for young plants, which amounted to something like only 20 drops in my small spray bottle. I also added a couple drops of plain (not anti-bacterial) dish soap as a wetting agent. Remember you can always spray again if needed, but if you mix this too hot, you may severely stunt the plant or worse. The treatments continued once a day for 3 days until the plants showed no signs of the problems getting worse.

9. Find the source of the problem, hopefully - sometimes you never figure these things out for sure, but in this case I believe I found it. I have been using humic acid in my tap water during bubbling to neutralize the chloramines that are deadly to my microherd. Specifically GO Diamond Black which is part of my nutrient regimen. I am unsure how much I put in my 5 gallon bucket a week or so ago, but it was a pretty good splash of it. Then I gave more as part of the normal feeding routine which I am following. As I did more digging into this, I found a number of people with calcium lockout issues due to an overdose of humic acid in the soil. The light bulb went off for me at that point. I have also read that the liquid form of humic acid made of leonardite is less effective and can also cause issues with other nutrients if used too often. I am now using a pinch of worm castings for the humic matter in my water and I will no longer use the Diamond Black product in the future.

10. Take long term action if necessary - since I feel fairly confident that I had found the culprit, I simply watered the plants with a tablespoon of molasses and gave them some time to recover. I have discontinued the foliar treatments because all new growth seems to be free of any signs of deficiency. I'll keep an eye out for problems in the coming days, but it appears that things are in good shape now.

Now, after all that, here are a few pics. They just woke up so they're a bit droopy:

Day 15:

Tent_Day15.jpg

Magnum - As you can see, she had some slight chlorosis but the treatment stopped it short of any spotting. This plant is in the largest pot & has clearly been putting more energy into roots. It's catching up to the others now, though.

BM_Day15.jpg

TD - This one was affected the most by the lockout, which surprised me a bit given how robust the DP genetics are. New growth is looking great and she's growing well again.

TD_Day15.jpg

WW - She has some light spotting but not nearly as bad as the Think Different. Otherwise doing very well and smelling skunky already.

WW_Day15.jpg

Cobra - Showed no signs of problems from the lockout, and after a slow start is doing very well.

FC_Day15.jpg

SMR - A touch of unhealthiness from the lockout, but she's still at least twice the size of everything else in the tent. Smells like green bananas.

SMR_Day15.jpg

DD - This one got some food and is finally getting past the ugly baby stage. Hopefully all three dragons will move to their outside home in the coming weeks.

DD_Day15.jpg

MD1 and 2 - The big one has bushed out big time since getting in the Happy Frog soil, and the little one is starting to look like it may be a decent plant after all.

MD_Day15.jpg

I know this was a long one - thanks for hanging in there! :Sharing One:

Last edited:
I am pretty confident the symptoms you are experiencing are the result of a vapor pressure deficit. I battled this in the winter with my seedlings. It's a result of the combination of low temperatures and low humidity. It may have cropped up if the humidifier wasn't filled for a couple days. Try and keep that humidity as high as possible until the temps get a little warmer. I was familiar spraying 2x a day as well to correct my V.P.D.

The slow start due cold seems to also prolong sexing. It's as if time slows down. Plants may need an extra few days but they'll catch up.

I am pretty confident the symptoms you are experiencing are the result of a vapor pressure deficit. I battled this in the winter with my seedlings. It's a result of the combination of low temperatures and low humidity. It may have cropped up if the humidifier wasn't filled for a couple days. Try and keep that humidity as high as possible until the temps get a little warmer. I was familiar spraying 2x a day as well to correct my V.P.D.

The slow start due cold seems to also prolong sexing. It's as if time slows down. Plants may need an extra few days but they'll catch up.

Could be vapor pressure deficit, SB. It's definitely been a battle with the conditions but it's much better now. Ambient temp outside the tent is 65 and humidity is 60. I've been able to turn of the humidifier for the first time and keep humidity around 60 and temps in the 70s. In my last journal posted here, I had a cold tent & a repair issue in my grow area causing me to shut down for several days. The seedlings sat outside in overcast 50s weather and basically went into suspended animation. They didn't do much for 1-2 weeks and then grew great. I ended up with my biggest yield ever on a couple of plants:

https://www.autoflower.org/f5/abs-latest-grow-log-launch-badboy-6913.html

I'm in between a rock and a hard place because if I wait until mid-April to start I can ensure good conditions for the young plants. But then I'm in maximum flower when the summer temps really hit, and I don't want to risk damaging the density or potency of the buds. I envy everyone with a climate controlled grow room. :grin:

Last edited:
Mother nature is a worth adversary even indoors. I wouldn't let her dictate / interrupt your schedule though. Just spray the young plants daily (Will resolve the issue whether it's VPD or immobile deficiency). Just keep those lights running. You could pull two harvests and be well on your third crop by the time fall comes around.The environment is tricky in a set up like that, but it's begging to be conquered :woohoo:

- - - Updated - - -

Mother nature is a worth adversary even indoors. I wouldn't let her dictate / interrupt your schedule though. Just spray the young plants daily (Will resolve the issue whether it's VPD or immobile deficiency). Just keep those lights running. You could pull 3 harvests and be well on your fourth crop by the time fall comes around.The environment is tricky in a set up like that, but it's begging to be conquered :woohoo:

Sweet Andy! Subbed up my friend! I too have a Sugar Mango Ryder going right now. It's about a week to 10 days ahead of yours so we got kids almost the same age lol Looking great man dispite said issues...

"Munch..munch..munch

Back