Lighting 400w HPS vs Citizen COB clu048

The^Dude

I grow soil ecosystems that grow plants for me.
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Website
dudegardens.com
Currently Smoking
Ribs
It’s so hard to find comparison data, hoping someone with more experience can help. I have a 400w HPS in a 32”x32” tent. Issues with heat, not too bad but we are going into summer with this plant and I’m starting to wonder if I should build a light to replace my hps. Are the two comparable at all? Will my hps give me better performance as long as I can control the heat? Looking at the 4 x Citizen CLU048 3000k w/ meanwell driver build. Is this super outdated? It’s so hard to find good info. I appreciate the help! If you know an expert @420Forever mind pointing them this way?

mmm...well, first off, me freely admit to not bein two thingz... 1) a plant doc, and 2) a light guru :rolleyes2: soooo, what i'll do instead is jus tag any & all @Gladiators to chime in...work for u-? that'z the ticket! :idea: :headbang: ppp

It’s so hard to find comparison data, hoping someone with more experience can help. I have a 400w HPS in a 32”x32” tent. Issues with heat, not too bad but we are going into summer with this plant and I’m starting to wonder if I should build a light to replace my hps. Are the two comparable at all? Will my hps give me better performance as long as I can control the heat? Looking at the 4 x Citizen CLU048 3000k w/ meanwell driver build. Is this super outdated? It’s so hard to find good info. I appreciate the help! If you know an expert @420Forever mind pointing them this way?
I think the 3000K is too red. I am running 14 Citizen 1212 3500k cri90 (4'x6') and I have added 2 royal blue to them for vegging along with UV in late flower. I think Cobs are outdated now as you get a better spread with QB or strips. From a heat standpoint locate your driver outside of the tent and you will get some relief but remember Leds do produce heat.

strips are the way to go. and as man o green said. with a remote driver build you can really get the heat away from the grow.

I got 2 new 250w qb’s and waiting to actually install them til tomorrow so I can get a spool of good wire and a piece of wood and some wire sheath stuff so I can run my drivers outside the tent this go! Seemed to be like close to 10° hotter if I put my thermometer on top of the driver versus lower stuck to a tent pole! I’m too broke to do strips and Señor gRoshi forgot to grab my strips when he ordered his photo boosts! :crying: Was worth a shot but guess I need to start saving! Once I have my tents all setup with what I NEED I can then start saving towards WHAT I WANT! These tho were only $158.50 per 236w at the wall I believe and that BOTH INCLUDES shipping cost from China as well as me paying $10 more to do 301h diodes and another $10 upcharge so I could get separate heatsinks.....
76F50E8D-9FB5-4BB9-94C4-6AE5E9DC2159.jpeg

Checked to make sure works and.....
43BF3755-ADE6-4667-B4AC-23DB56876BE8.jpeg

Numero dos as well and
A5E8D532-F9C3-4751-BEF3-020DBFD6AE68.jpeg

LET THERE BE LIGHT!! Definitely worth $126 per double board and the separate heat sinks will help move lights individually since gonna be 4 plants in my 4x4 and since diff pots and strains need to be able to adjust for the plant in the 2x2 square I have said plant in! :smoking:

with a strip build, you get maximum photons and coverage. and if you are working with a smaller space scrogs and an even canopy is a huge help to yields.nice even coverage of a nice even canopy and you got a sea of colas
i just got this bad boy built last week.
:eyebrows:

Attachments

• 20200404_173151.jpg
    20200404_173151.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 118
I'm looking at getting new lights anyone rate the new mars sp250s
they are better than they used to be. but you can do better for cheaper and really easily with diy.
have seen reviews of several units burning out from cheap components.

Back